Texas Fishing Forum

Flukes

Posted By: Lmiller157

Flukes - 03/13/16 08:18 PM

I have typically always used zoom flukes during the spring and have always had good luck. Do any of yall use them during the summer and fall, and do you have good luck?
Posted By: outfishdya

Re: Flukes - 03/13/16 08:44 PM

They work good durring prime time, there are times they will tear em up, but I can't stay with them if the fish are deeper than 10 ft unless the water is pretty clear. Working them weightless and deep is a talent

Re: Flukes - 03/13/16 08:49 PM

Ya, I have had the best luck during spawn, but I may have to give then a shot during the fall also. Not sure how they would perform during summer.
Posted By: Der Vorsteher

Re: Flukes - 03/13/16 08:54 PM

I fish them year round. Even deep with practice. I will throw a magnum fluke and take a nail weight and cut in into a third and put it the nose and throw it out there and let in sink to a count of 20. Give it a hard long jerk up and repeat. Kind like a spoon. Pull at a 45 degree angle.
Posted By: timwins31

Re: Flukes - 03/13/16 09:03 PM

I don't fish them deep but I do fish them year round. They work great in summer, especially weightless rigged early and late when the fish are shallow feeding. If there is a good topwater bite going on in the summer, there is usually a good fluke bite going too.
Posted By: Squirrely Dan

Re: Flukes - 03/13/16 09:05 PM

Year round. Add a split shot like a c-rig. Caught more fish that way than any other
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Flukes - 03/13/16 09:21 PM

Double fluke rig anytime the water temp is above 60 degrees when bass are feeding shallow. Particularly effective in the fall. Good on a drop shot and as a bladed swimbait trailer year round. Scrounger and darter heads for suspended bass in the summer.

Re: Flukes - 03/13/16 09:30 PM

Thanks everyone. My dad always just fished them during spawn and I think I just assumed that's the only time they worm. I love fluke fishing and can't wait to use it year round. Gotta go buy more bubble gum packs
Posted By: Madman Phoenix

Re: Flukes - 03/13/16 10:21 PM

C-Rig for sure, that's how you fish them deep.
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Flukes - 03/13/16 10:22 PM

I use a Fluke on a light C-Rig during the summer deep to 30 ft.. I follow the contour out and around points. It works great around deep grass in the Summer months also. I have caught more big Bass deep with a Fluke than any other plastic.

We have won a couple of tournaments backing up the Spook with a 1/32 oz. nose weighted Fluke. Just run the Spook into a bush and let it set; then throw in the Fluke. This is a great technique when they are not blowing up on the top water at daybreak. The Fluke falls in a spiral downward representing a dying bait fish.

During the Summer I always backed up every missed strike on a spinner bait, buzz bait, spook and etc. with the nose weighted Fluke. Back in the day during tournaments, I kept the fluke rod attached to the butt seat in a upright position with a quick clip so all I had to do was reach back and get it to make the cast to the missed strike. It worked almost every time. It is just a good idea to have your partner throwing one all the time and back up any missed strikes you may have as he fishes other shoreline cover.
Posted By: JMac-D

Re: Flukes - 03/13/16 10:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Madman Phoenix
C-Rig for sure, that's how you fish them deep.

This, one of my favorite c-rig baits

Re: Flukes - 03/14/16 01:36 AM

Is there nay colors yall prefer for different parts of the year? Shockingly i have the bets luck with bubblegum during the spring (who would of thought).

Re: Flukes - 03/14/16 02:04 AM

I fish only about 5 colors. Watermelon Red, Green Pumpkin, and Mardi Gras for really dirty or stained water. Pearl on occasion but haven't had the luck with it as my main three colors. Baby bass some during post spawn.
Posted By: Madman Phoenix

Re: Flukes - 03/14/16 02:14 AM

Watermelon seed with the tail dipped in whatever color you like. Or not. Mag Fluke on C-rig deep.
Posted By: Squirrely Dan

Re: Flukes - 03/14/16 02:21 AM

Mostly pearl with tail dipped
Posted By: skeeter james

Re: Flukes - 03/14/16 04:15 AM

My 11.85lb large mouth came during the middle of summer, 100 degree day about 3 hrs before dark in 2 ft of water on Ray Roberts with a fluke.

Re: Flukes - 03/14/16 01:11 PM

It makes me happy knowing these work year round. It is one of my favorite ways to fish. I will give watermelon red and pearl white a shot, and will also try dipping the tails (never done it before).
Posted By: redskeet100

Re: Flukes - 03/14/16 09:25 PM

I throw them year round, I always have one tied on and usually 60-70% of my fish in a year are caught on flukes. I rarely weight mine unless it is so windy I can't slow the boat down. They are great for c-rig as others have said.
Posted By: BassSAT

Re: Flukes - 03/14/16 09:39 PM

"Mag" Flukes are awesome at Falcon...
Posted By: pro dirt raker

Re: Flukes - 03/15/16 12:19 AM

C-Rig watermelon magic green pumpkin magic with tails dipped Chartreuse
Posted By: Skeeter443

Re: Flukes - 03/15/16 02:39 AM

I fish Flukes a lot. Bright conditions I throw watermelon red, watermelon and Mardi Gras. In low light conditions, early, late and real cloudy days Plum Apple is money!
Posted By: Kevin Bryant

Re: Flukes - 03/15/16 03:15 AM

Okie Poke on here is a fluke master.
Posted By: txhunt&fish10

Re: Flukes - 03/15/16 04:58 AM

it looks a dying fish. fish eat that year round. could always use a weighted hook if you wanna fish it in deep water.
Posted By: Amac88

Re: Flukes - 03/15/16 02:09 PM

You can take an 1/8 or 3/16 oz tungsten weight, peg it and fish it over and through deeper hydrilla, hay grass, pepper grass, etc....
Posted By: texasfisherman1

Re: Flukes - 03/15/16 02:24 PM

Flukes are my #1 baits. I go through packs of flukes left and right, always having to buy more. Yes, as noted by everyone - flukes are a year round bait. 90% of the time I fish them weightless with a 4/0 offset worm hook.

They are also probably my favorite topwater bait. If you work it fast, the fluke will skim across the water. Any watermelon or green pumpkin color will work, though I use some shad colors in the summer or when they are feeding on shad.
Posted By: EN591

Re: Flukes - 03/19/16 02:02 PM

I keep a 7'6" MH Falcon with an 7.1:1 Orra SX2 rigged up for a weightless fluke year round. Trial and error and I've found a 3/0 or 4/0 EWG hook and 12lb fluorocarbon works perfect for my setup. Throw it in the spring and fall all day long and in the summer it's great first thing in the morning. I keep white pearl, watermelon red, and glimmer blue in the boat and that's about the only colors I've needed.
Posted By: RiveraTackleCo.

Re: Flukes - 03/19/16 02:53 PM

I throw my twerkbaits on a 6.9m rod. I just started using a scrounger jig head as well. Here's my favorite color...

Posted By: Bayou Burner

Re: Flukes - 03/19/16 03:01 PM

Probably one of the easiest baits to skip under docks.

Re: Flukes - 03/19/16 03:09 PM

Originally Posted By: CarlosRivera
I throw my twerkbaits on a 6.9m rod. I just started using a scrounger jig head as well. Here's my favorite color...

I like those. I glue small swimbait eyes on all mine just to give it something extra and always dip the tail in dye. If it is super clear water I use the pen and just touch up the tail, the dip seems to be too bright in clear water. I throw mine on a rod with micro guides and use a swivel with about an 8-10 inch leader.
Posted By: Rhaider

Re: Flukes - 03/19/16 05:50 PM

They can be deadly on a drop shot as well. Heavy weight and a magnum fluke drop shot has tore em up in the summer
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Flukes - 03/19/16 07:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Kevin Bryant
Okie Poke on here is a fluke master.

Not so much but hey, thanks for the vote of confidence. Now what do I owe you? I love a fluke, year round......
Posted By: Mo_Cat

Re: Flukes - 03/20/16 05:14 AM

Great thread. What's the best setup for flukes as far as rod. There isn't a Fluke rod. JWR, Crank Bait, or Spinner Bait rod??
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Flukes - 03/20/16 01:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Mo_Cat
Great thread. What's the best setup for flukes as far as rod. There isn't a Fluke rod. JWR, Crank Bait, or Spinner Bait rod??

That would depend on how you plan to fish the fluke. I use a Dobyns Extreme 784 when I C-rig a fluke. For weightless I would suggest a rod 6ft 8in to 7ft 3 power rod for fishing it weightless. I throw them weightless with an Owner 4/0 J hook.

My most productive fluke color is watermelon seed with the tail dipped in chartruce. One thing that I do when fishing a weightless bait is to alternate between a fluke and a senko type bait because I use the same set up for either one.
Posted By: outfishdya

Re: Flukes - 03/20/16 05:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Mo_Cat

I use a TFO in medium heavy. It is either 6'6" or 6'8". I like a shorter and softer rod with a faster action. The TFO MH seems to be softer than most MH.I let the fish load up on the rod as I lose too many fish with a big hook set. I also only use round hooks. The EWGs will not clear as well and will cause you to lose more fish. I always have a fluke tied on. It can be used just like you pitch a jig. Pitch it into the cover and let it sink. When it hits the water it will dart first. Fish will pound it just as it gets out of sight.

Re: Flukes - 03/20/16 07:49 PM

Thanks everyone my wife now dislikes yall. I thought I knew a decent amount about flukes but you all have really helped me out. I went to bass pro and purchased white pearl and watermelon (previously only used baby bass and bubblegum) . I have also dipped half in chartreuse and some in red. Knowing that I can fish these year round has made me EXTREAMLY happy.
Posted By: Acuna

Re: Flukes - 03/20/16 11:01 PM

The only thing I will add is that since switching to an Owner twistlock hook I have at least doubled the life of my flukes. Using a hook with a screw lock keeper makes a big difference. This tip also applies to weightless Texas rigged senkos.

Re: Flukes - 03/20/16 11:57 PM

Do the owner twist locks effect the action at all?
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Flukes - 03/21/16 02:07 AM

Originally Posted By: Lmiller157
Do the owner twist locks effect the action at all?

Not in a negative way. They work just fine.
Posted By: Reds Bass Guide on Sandlin

Re: Flukes - 03/21/16 02:13 AM

I Fish them a lot. Watermelon Red seems best for me. Spiked and I use a small split shot a foot up. This lets me fish it faster. My top producer .
Posted By: Bassalong

Re: Flukes - 03/21/16 02:23 PM

I got some good fish C rigging mag flukes with a peg weighted 5/16 bullet weight last summer. I was using the mags because this was a recently discovered big fish area.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum