Texas Fishing Forum

Ned baits

Posted By: Kens3313

Ned baits - 03/13/16 12:32 AM

Have any of yall had any luck with these baits around here? How do you rig them?
Posted By: danwill12

Re: Ned baits - 03/13/16 01:18 AM

I knew Ned Fitz back in High School, but he moved to Alabama. Had a hot sister but she went with the family. I would nose hook Ned so as to drown him.

Re: Ned baits - 03/13/16 01:22 AM

I think Ike' covered this on last month's Bassmaster's article on the how the to.. But as for me, I would still nose hook Ned.
Posted By: timwins31

Re: Ned baits - 03/13/16 01:28 AM

Are you talking about the Ned Rig or the company NetBait? I don't understand the question.
Posted By: High wide and heavy

Re: Ned baits - 03/13/16 01:50 AM

My buddy lost a giant bass at Monticello in '86. The guy at the gate who took our money said he knew the fish. "Thomas we lost a giant today". "Mmmmm that was "Ned" mmmm no one can catch him"! Thanks for bringing up a nightmare. Besides that Ned doesn't ring a bell.
Posted By: WCGunns

Re: Ned baits - 03/13/16 01:52 AM

I've tried the Ned rig at Ray Roberts with little success.
Posted By: NickHasty

Re: Ned baits - 03/13/16 01:54 AM

ned rig? basically a real small stickbait on a mushroom head jig...

Re: Ned baits - 03/13/16 03:28 AM

It's almost like a senco cut in half, people say it can look like a minnow or worm looks like a versatile bait. Just asking if anyone has tried it and if you had much luck, I was thinking about getting a mold and making a few.
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Ned baits - 03/13/16 03:55 AM

It's like an oversized slider worm. Never tried it, but I've had success with the slider worm.

Re: Ned baits - 03/13/16 04:06 AM

I really like the Slider worm. on a Gama light wire no. 1 rubber worm hook. Do not try this, you may not like it.
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: Ned baits - 03/13/16 04:30 AM

Originally Posted By: Kens3313
It's almost like a senco cut in half, people say it can look like a minnow or worm looks like a versatile bait. Just asking if anyone has tried it and if you had much luck, I was thinking about getting a mold and making a few.

We use them on Table Rock. Catches fish when nothing else will. I think that they would work on rocky bottom lakes like Canyon and Texoma, also.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Ned baits - 03/13/16 01:15 PM

Dookie rig!

Re: Ned baits - 03/13/16 01:22 PM

If you're gonna make your own Ned Rig worms you're going to be VERY disappointed. . .

The whole reason that rig works is because of the super buoyant plastic that Z man uses in the Elaztech plastics. The jighead is designed to stand straight up with one of their plastics on it, and it works amazingly well. (most of the fish I've caught on Lew have come on the ned rig lately) Unless you can pour some VERY buoyant plastic I would stick the the Z man stuff.

However. . .if you CAN pour some floaty stuff. . .I can tell you the rig works and it works well. Make sure to get the weedless jigs because the other ones hang on everything.
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Ned baits - 03/13/16 01:29 PM

Originally Posted By: danwill12
I really like the Slider worm. on a Gama light wire no. 1 rubber worm hook. Do not try this, you may not like it.

I just use the Charlie Brewer slider jig heads, normally.
Posted By: kirbydog

Re: Ned baits - 03/13/16 02:31 PM

I tried the ned rig-caught just a few and they were all dinks.

I think its more effective for smallies.

Re: Ned baits - 03/13/16 03:31 PM

All my plastics I make float unless I inject salt in it

Re: Ned baits - 03/13/16 03:34 PM

That's what I was wondering, if it's a small mouth type bait or the dinks they got up there grin

Re: Ned baits - 03/13/16 03:49 PM

Most plastics float. . .the Elaztech plastic is way more buoyant than any other I've used and it's really the reason the rig works. A 3" TRD worm from them will easily float a heavy wire 3/0 hook. . .if your plastic isn't that buoyant then I don't think it'll work the way it should. Just a heads up man. Good luck with it. It WILL catch fish - especially in heavy pressure spots and when the bite is really tough. And not just dinks, I caught a 7 and a 6lber on it in the fall.

Re: Ned baits - 03/13/16 04:31 PM

Cool,thanks for the help

Re: Ned baits - 03/13/16 04:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Duck_Hunter
Originally Posted By: danwill12

I just use the Charlie Brewer slider jig heads, normally.
I said YOU may not like it. It is a finesse rig for sure. and I left out a key rigging part for it. If some of you want to try it PM me and I will give it out. Dan
Posted By: kemon86

Re: Ned baits - 03/14/16 02:30 PM

I wore fish out on the TRD last summer with a spinning reel. It was a blast. I bought the bigger plastics with the split tails and have yet to catch a fish on them.
Posted By: kscatman76

Re: Ned baits - 03/14/16 03:44 PM

it's boring, it catches dinks, nothing to see here move on... smile I'll be honest it's ruined my fishing it catches more fish than any lure I've ever seen in my life. I caught more big fish in Kansas, Oklahoma and Missouri last year on it than all other lures combined. It's great for both largemouth and smallmouth. It's not good around wood, but I pour my own heads and I'm working on making some weedless ones. It's ruined me because I can't hardly put the thing down honestly.

Posted By: kscatman76

Re: Ned baits - 03/14/16 03:49 PM

For what it's worth I believe it's more of a system than a lure. I truly believe the elaztech properties from Zman are what makes this bait what it is. Will a floating bait or senko work? yes but it makes it a decent bait, I believe the elastech is what makes it an amazing bait. just my personal preference. I also like a Zman Zinker Z or a Strike King Zero cut in half better than I do the Zman TRD.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum