Texas Fishing Forum

Skeeter on the rocks today Ray Rob

Posted By: RJProsperISD

Skeeter on the rocks today Ray Rob - 03/11/16 01:22 AM

Although the usual launch for us is over at Jordan, son and I decided to spend a few hours out there trolling the ramps off the main marina prepping for next week's High School tourney. Water seemed a little high, but manageable.

That said - anyone know about the abandoned Skeeter out there off the dam? Saw it driving to the marina and wondered what was up. Ran into a buddy at the ramp and he had already called it in. No gear on it - said it had been there for a couple days - authorities notified. Nobody just leaves their boat out there like that - when we saw it the rig was half beached parallel to dam. Not a good situation.
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Skeeter on the rocks today Ray Rob - 03/11/16 01:33 AM

If someone wrecked and was missing, hopefully we would have heard about it. Could it have broken free from somewhere?
Posted By: adam_p

Re: Skeeter on the rocks today Ray Rob - 03/11/16 01:35 AM

It's been there since yesterday. GWs said he ran out of gas and battery and walked up the rocks to the road.

Re: Skeeter on the rocks today Ray Rob - 03/11/16 01:37 AM

Figured someone would have recovered it by now - glad to hear there weren't any missing bodies.
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Skeeter on the rocks today Ray Rob - 03/11/16 01:40 AM

Originally Posted By: Tonganator
Figured someone would have recovered it by now - glad to hear there weren't any missing bodies.
Posted By: Squirrely Dan

Re: Skeeter on the rocks today Ray Rob - 03/11/16 02:24 AM

Maybe they have good insurance so no hurry lol
Posted By: EastTexasBassin

Re: Skeeter on the rocks today Ray Rob - 03/11/16 02:26 AM

This thread title sounds like a drink name.

"I'll have a skeeter on the rocks please"

Re: Skeeter on the rocks today Ray Rob - 03/11/16 02:35 AM

Re: Skeeter on the rocks today Ray Rob - 03/11/16 02:36 AM

If that were my boat, I would want it off the rocks ASAP
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Skeeter on the rocks today Ray Rob - 03/11/16 02:37 AM

Free boat, just add gas.

Appears to be around a 2000 year model.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Skeeter on the rocks today Ray Rob - 03/11/16 02:41 AM

Some stupid f-ers don't deserve decent boats.

Re: Skeeter on the rocks today Ray Rob - 03/11/16 03:02 AM

Yup, that's her rolling over - good pic

Hmm, a new drink! Hell, i was asking if anyone could use a free skeeter

Agreed - some people don't deserve decent s**t
Posted By: horseplaydvm

Re: Skeeter on the rocks today Ray Rob - 03/11/16 03:25 AM

Originally Posted By: adam_p
It's been there since yesterday. GWs said he ran out of gas and battery and walked up the rocks to the road.

Seriously? The GW did not help them recover the boat? Interesting.
Posted By: SkeeterRonnie

Re: Skeeter on the rocks today Ray Rob - 03/11/16 03:41 AM

Craigslist ad next week: slightly used, garage kept Skeeter for sale
Posted By: bradnitro175

Re: Skeeter on the rocks today Ray Rob - 03/11/16 03:43 AM

I got dibs on the trolling motor
Posted By: CLedbetter

Re: Skeeter on the rocks today Ray Rob - 03/11/16 03:46 AM

Originally Posted By: SkeeterRonnie
Craigslist ad next week: slightly used, garage kept Skeeter for sale

...new gorilla hull added
Posted By: Fish Killer

Re: Skeeter on the rocks today Ray Rob - 03/11/16 03:48 AM

Geez guys

Stuff happens on the water and never when you want it too
Apparently he got it back and no body was hurt that's the import part

Re: Skeeter on the rocks today Ray Rob - 03/11/16 03:51 AM

Was the wind out of the North?

Re: Skeeter on the rocks today Ray Rob - 03/11/16 03:53 AM

Originally Posted By: Fish Killer
Geez guys

Stuff happens on the water and never when you want it too
Apparently he got it back and no body was hurt that's the import part
when?
Posted By: Fish Killer

Re: Skeeter on the rocks today Ray Rob - 03/11/16 04:02 AM

When??

Happenes everyday
No body on the water hasnt has some kind of issue

Stuff happens

Re: Skeeter on the rocks today Ray Rob - 03/11/16 04:06 AM

No. I understand the [censored] happens part....but the boat has been floating around for days. That's the part I don't get.

I've ran out of gas before. I've had a dead battery before. I've tied up to a tree and rearranged batteries to get the boat to start, etc.... Only time my boat has set that long, out of my sight, it was at my house, on its trailer, and I was at the beach.

Re: Skeeter on the rocks today Ray Rob - 03/11/16 04:23 AM

Originally Posted By: horseplaydvm

I don't know the details, I just have second hand info.
Posted By: Barrett

Re: Skeeter on the rocks today Ray Rob - 03/11/16 04:28 AM

Game wardens are not in the boat recovery business. I heard about this from Adam last night and texted the Denton county gws just giving them the heads up. 2 of them being really good personal friends of mine. They called me this morning relaying the story that Adam told y'all. I was on the water when this happened. Had this person called 911 they knew I was on the lake via fb. He would had help within about 3 minutes. Sad deal either way but our game wardens are not tow companies. They are for emergency situations. I just wish he would have called because my Gw buddy would have called me qsap and he would have help in no time...
Posted By: Duck_Hunter

Re: Skeeter on the rocks today Ray Rob - 03/11/16 04:30 AM

Glad no one is hurt.
Posted By: Anchorman

Re: Skeeter on the rocks today Ray Rob - 03/11/16 04:52 AM

A couple of months ago I got made fun of on here because I suggested to a new boat owner he needs to buy a good anchor. Several knuckle heads jumped all on me saying you don't need an anchor....he has a trolling motor....waste of money.....takes up too much room....etc.

To me it looks like a simple anchor and a cell phone could have been the ticket here. For a nominal fee (much less than a new hull) any marina would send out a tow boat or a couple gallons of gas. I just don't get how anyone would have CHOSEN to abandon his boat on the rocks if he was simply out of gas. That don't add up with me. But if that is the case, this boat owner may need to take up another hobby because he ain't got no sense.
Posted By: Barrett

Re: Skeeter on the rocks today Ray Rob - 03/11/16 05:31 AM

Im not sure an anchor can hold you in 20mph north wind on ray roberts... Who knows. I would have been more then willing to even go last night and help him.
Posted By: buton

Re: Skeeter on the rocks today Ray Rob - 03/11/16 05:32 AM

no powerpoles on it...
Posted By: Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad

Re: Skeeter on the rocks today Ray Rob - 03/11/16 07:36 AM

If anyone knows the owner I will tow the boat in for him in the morning
Posted By: Nutman

Re: Skeeter on the rocks today Ray Rob - 03/11/16 09:44 AM

Originally Posted By: SteezMacQueen
Some stupid f-ers don't deserve decent boats.

That's a little harsh when you don't know the curcumstances

Re: Skeeter on the rocks today Ray Rob - 03/11/16 09:48 AM

+1 I'm sure the owner just decided hey the rocks on the dam look like a great place to leave my boat.

Re: Skeeter on the rocks today Ray Rob - 03/11/16 12:40 PM

NUTMAN...............THEY RAN OUT OF GAS???!!!!! Don't need to know the person to know that getting on a big lake without enough fuel is stupid.

Dead batteries? Could see that, if he was running the trolling motors trying to get the boat to a safe spot. I do know this though...wind usually only comes from one direction at a time. I would have trolled the boat to one end of the dam or the other. I would not have chosen a place where the hull would be getting pounded against rocks.

Circumstances? They are what you make of them. Just sayin. [censored] made the decisions that cause me to make mine.
Posted By: bigfishtx

Re: Skeeter on the rocks today Ray Rob - 03/11/16 01:36 PM

Dang some of y'all are sure harsh on this guy, kickin' a man while he's down is a sure invite for karma in your future.

Gas gauges go bad, FYI.
He may have a plugged filter and just thought he ran out of gas
May not be fuel related at all

The point is, problems happen on the water and some of them cannot be resolved with a good outcome, even for the most experienced fisherman. Throw in some wind, big waves and close to rocks and things can go bad in a hurry.

Re: Skeeter on the rocks today Ray Rob - 03/11/16 01:38 PM

If they were out of gas and trying to troll to the marina ramp with 20 mph north wind and batteries died half way across the dam your stuck right there end of story.

I'm just making a guess as to what happened, but if that's how it happened the owner didn't have many choices.
Posted By: horseplaydvm

Re: Skeeter on the rocks today Ray Rob - 03/11/16 01:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Barrett

Game wardens are not in the boat recovery business. I heard about this from Adam last night and texted the Denton county gws just giving them the heads up. 2 of them being really good personal friends of mine. They called me this morning relaying the story that Adam told y'all. I was on the water when this happened. Had this person called 911 they knew I was on the lake via fb. He would had help within about 3 minutes. Sad deal either way but our game wardens are not tow companies. They are for emergency situations. I just wish he would have called because my Gw buddy would have called me qsap and he would have help in no time...

If you leave your car on the side of the road what happens? Police officer puts a sticker on it and it will be towed if not removed. If you leave your car in the middle of the road it will be towed immediately.
This boat is a hazard. It does not appear to be anchored in any way. Even if it is anchored, storms could cause it to come loose. If someone is ripping across the lake early in the morning, and that boat floats out into open water with no lights on then there will be a preventable tragedy. Especially since the weekend is coming and there is usually at least one tournament on the lake every weekend this time of year. It's not about the towing business, it's about safety and common sense. BTW, the owner of the boat should be penalized in some way because like you said, they could have gotten help if they tried. thumb
Posted By: Happykamper

Re: Skeeter on the rocks today Ray Rob - 03/11/16 01:58 PM

There is probably more to this story than what everyone knows, nice of a couple of guys to offer towing for the owner.
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Skeeter on the rocks today Ray Rob - 03/11/16 02:00 PM

I understand that it might not be the game wardens job to HELP haul in a boat, I also don't see how it could hurt him to waste an hour of his life. Heck I bet 90% of us would have been willing to help. What a sad state this country has become when law enforcement won't help.

Yeah, yeah, it's not their job.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum