Texas Fishing Forum

Sugar Lake Lodging "El Mirador"?

Posted By: bcbass11

Sugar Lake Lodging "El Mirador"? - 03/10/16 01:04 AM

Headed to Sugar Lake with my dad sometime in May and wanted to see if anyone had contact information for El Mirador lodge. We've fished there several years ago and can't remember the name of the place we stayed at maybe "Oso" but it was a different lodge. It was a decent place but the meals and drinks were pretty outrageous $2 for a can of coke and $20 meals. On another note I emailed a company that has a website under the name of mexicanlakes.com. I left an email about lodging and lake maps, they replied with a pretty disturbing email of how the entire area of Sugar lake to the border was overrun by drug cartels and was extremely dangerous so on and so forth. I keep up on reports from a couple Falcon guides and they have been fishing Sugar pretty regularly and Im sure they wouldn't take clients if they felt it was unsafe. The response from Mexicanlakes.com wasn't an automated response either so not really sure whats going on with that.. Any info is much appreciated.
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Sugar Lake Lodging "El Mirador"? - 03/10/16 01:14 AM

Contact Tommy law and his guide service, he can give you all the info u need..
Posted By: Rockie Martin

Re: Sugar Lake Lodging "El Mirador"? - 03/10/16 02:30 AM

After story I read a few years back I don't think I will ever fish there...
Posted By: pil,b

Re: Sugar Lake Lodging "El Mirador"? - 03/10/16 02:48 AM

That story was by Charlie Harrelson that guided some on Falcon and Sugar lake, scary story. Call James at lake Falcon tackle, I think he still fishes there. fish

Re: Sugar Lake Lodging "El Mirador"? - 03/10/16 02:51 AM

I thought about that too Jaret, I'll probably try to get a hold of Tommy or Jay..

Re: Sugar Lake Lodging "El Mirador"? - 03/10/16 03:25 AM

Another good idea to call James, those guys are great and really got me out of a jam on the water one time. I also found the email that I got back from Mexicanlakes.com its really over top, the sender went by the name Pitch. Has anyone emailed them and got a similar response like this?

"No map chips. Lowrance chips and most others are proprietary and the very corrupt, Communist Mexican Government will not allow release of the information to make these maps. All topo info is actually controlled by their very dangerous and corrupt military.
We do not recommend travel to Mexico at this time, (ANYWHERE) especially within 100 miles of the border.
For your info, the entire area around Sugar Lake has been over-run and is controlled by the cartel gangsters who now specialize in kidnapping unsuspecting Gringos for huge ransoms.
The border area on both sides is totally out of control and very dangerous with extortion, kidnappings, murders and almost daily gun battles between the various warring factions.
You travel to Mexico at your own peril…as more American’s are murdered in Mexico each year than any other country in the world."
Posted By: wetduck

Re: Sugar Lake Lodging "El Mirador"? - 03/10/16 11:23 AM

some truth and a lot of drama in that statement.
Posted By: timwins31

Re: Sugar Lake Lodging "El Mirador"? - 03/10/16 12:06 PM

That email is a blatant attempt by someone to scare business away from Mexico and it's shameful. I hope you guys know better than to fall for BS like that. There are maybe two facts in that entire statement.

Who's the last bass fisherman you heard about being killed or accosted in Mexico?
Posted By: UTDmiller

Re: Sugar Lake Lodging "El Mirador"? - 03/10/16 12:47 PM

You would assume with Chapo out of the picture that the cartels would be fighting to take over.
Posted By: Nutman

Re: Sugar Lake Lodging "El Mirador"? - 03/10/16 01:12 PM

James goes to Sugar a lot.
Last time we were at Falcon, we met a couple of guys from OKC going there for the week.
They stopped at Falcon Lake Tackle to talk to James and meet up with the second boat.
They & James stated there was no issue going in to Sugar. This was just this past Dec 6th.
BUT,,,,they did state that it was best to use a local guide the first time so you can see from them what you need to do and how to do it.
CALL JAMES
Posted By: Rick Collis

Re: Sugar Lake Lodging "El Mirador"? - 03/10/16 01:15 PM

Contact info. Phone 011-52-897-972-17-03.
Posted By: Ranger1

Re: Sugar Lake Lodging "El Mirador"? - 03/10/16 02:13 PM

Last time I went James and I crossed over together with No problems. Crossed over in Romo the last time. Sometimes we cross over at Rio Grande city. Don't buy into all the negative BS from people that have never been nor have a clue what they are talking about.
Posted By: dudley44

Re: Sugar Lake Lodging "El Mirador"? - 03/10/16 02:53 PM

BS---been three times in two months---plenty of Army precense, no problems--been across at Roma, Rio Grande City and Progresso--plus no problem for other Falcon guides because they were all there
Posted By: JacksonBean

Re: Sugar Lake Lodging "El Mirador"? - 03/10/16 04:39 PM

Headed down tomorrow. woot

I think the man you are looking for is Noe. I don't have his number handy but I think someone here can PM it to you. He runs the hotel / lodge there.
Posted By: NoWeighers

Re: Sugar Lake Lodging "El Mirador"? - 03/10/16 05:04 PM

Hey Fellas.. Here's the deal.. Mexico is still Mexico.. And there is still some [censored] that goes on over there on a regular basis. There are groups that deal in drugs and human trafficking.. News Flash.

But you can say that about America as well..

I can say that there are things I have seen that make me uncomfortable, or at the very least wonder what is going on..

And to correct Nutman above I said, "I have had no issues going over there.."

Are they looking for American Fishermen? No.. Unless you are doing things other than fishing. I go there in the morning.. I return early afternoon.. If I stay the night I stay at the hotel and don't go touring the countryside.

Noe's is full this weekend, and I don't have a number for the Mirador since my old phone died..

But try to e-mail Rigo at campoelmirador@live.com.mx

I suggest you take a guide your first trip and learn the way there, the ropes, and make some personal contacts with the motel owners and get good and current contact info for your future trips..
Posted By: Rick Collis

Re: Sugar Lake Lodging "El Mirador"? - 03/10/16 06:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Rick Collis
Contact info. Phone 011-52-897-972-17-03.

Sorry, this is Noe's number. I no longer have contact info for the Mirador
Posted By: T Gutierrez

Re: Sugar Lake Lodging "El Mirador"? - 03/10/16 09:42 PM

I would strongly encourage anyone looking at this adventure in to a war torn countryside to evaluate there insurance for personnel property.
You need very specific Mexican coverage in the event of accident or loss to property.
Then you have medical insurance which is a entirely different subject.

As James stated: Quote ( Hey Fellas.. Here's the deal.. Mexico is still Mexico.. And there is still some [censored] that goes on over there on a regular basis. There are groups that deal in drugs and human trafficking.. News Flash.

But you can say that about America as well..

I can say that there are things I have seen that make me uncomfortable, or at the very least wonder what is going on..

And to correct Nutman above I said, "I have had no issues going over there..")

I would never pretend to tell anyone it was safe because at best it's unknown safety. And there is no 911 you are by yourself.

Good luck in whatever your decision may be to go over, If absolute safety is your concern STAY HOME!!

Re: Sugar Lake Lodging "El Mirador"? - 03/10/16 11:49 PM

Thanks for the replies guys. I emailed the address no weighers provided hopefully will hear something back. Im moving back home to Ohio after 10 years of being spoiled with fishing down here. My dad is flying down in May to give us one last shot at a 10lb but that would just be the icing on the cake. Good fishin this year everyone!
Posted By: jimrb

Re: Sugar Lake Lodging "El Mirador"? - 03/11/16 12:23 AM

Rodrigo Rodriguez. 52 811 660 7190 El Mirador If you have wpp app on your phone its a free call.

Re: Sugar Lake Lodging "El Mirador"? - 03/11/16 10:11 PM

Thanks Jim Got a hold of Rodrigo and they have availability for us. Anyone know if there are any maps of the lake available to buy online somewhere?
Posted By: High wide and heavy

Re: Sugar Lake Lodging "El Mirador"? - 03/11/16 11:00 PM

Thanks james! You always set the record straight! I couldn't agree more.
Posted By: jimrb

Re: Sugar Lake Lodging "El Mirador"? - 03/12/16 07:55 AM

No maps i am aware of. It is a big lake, 45k, but fishes small. Some of the best fishing is within 2 miles of the ramp at Mirador. Keep yer baits wet/ stay within eyeshot of the dam. You will do fine. The lake has a lot of dead water.
Don't waste precious time running all over the lake. Fish the obvious stuff with flippin baits and 3/4 jobaby falcon specials spinnerbaits. You will run into a giant or two.
Posted By: forkduc

Re: Sugar Lake Lodging "El Mirador"? - 03/12/16 07:56 PM

Contact Falcon guide Jim Edwards. He takes people all the time and no issues.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum