Texas Fishing Forum

Lake of the Ozarks help

Posted By: slim 285

Lake of the Ozarks help - 03/09/16 03:21 AM

My nieces son who is a junior in high school has joined the high school team. He has not fished a tournament before and could use some help if anybody has a clue as to what to do on that lake March 20 th.
Posted By: rxkid2001

Re: Lake of the Ozarks help - 03/09/16 04:18 AM

I'd have some wiggle warts, spinnerbaits, and jigs ready. Normally you might get a jerk bait bite but I think this year we'll be past that by then. Warn him about boat traffic. There are waaaaaayyy too many ocean size boats on the lake and the wakes they throw can get you in trouble in a hurry.
Posted By: Tena

Re: Lake of the Ozarks help - 03/09/16 08:06 AM

Slim, That's a really big lake and they may not want to run 40+ miles, We are getting a lot of rain this week so it could be pretty dirty water by then, are they going to be able to pre fish any?, does he have a lake map available?, is he comfortable flipping?, as there are thousands of docks on the lake. either you or him PM me with where it's going out of & I'll be glad to give him some starting places reasonably close to the take off & bait selections that work. rxkid is correct if it's a warm sunny day the big boat traffic will be terrible from mid morning till weigh-in, if it cooler & cloudy their not so bad & the fishing will be better. I look forward to hearing from you.
Posted By: KingwoodCat

Re: Lake of the Ozarks help - 03/09/16 11:55 AM

Just go fish. There are hundreds of points to fish, along with boat docks everywhere. Depending on his skills, he can pitch worms or jigs to the boat docks, or run medium running crank baits underneath the edges.
Posted By: fish 4 5

Re: Lake of the Ozarks help - 03/09/16 12:08 PM

If at the upper end at Warsaw MO, fish Cole Camp Creek, left bank going into Creek. Flip the timber for 200 yards. Also Lick and Turkey creeks are good in the spring.
Posted By: KingOutdoorsCo

Re: Lake of the Ozarks help - 03/09/16 06:18 PM

Probably going to be atypical given the warm spring. Usually it's a wiggle wart and spinnerbait deal in March but I wouldn't be surprised at a buzzbait bite this year. Flipping is always strong. The key is going to be finding the right size rock and where it transitions to a different size and angle. Should be looking for chunk change to gravel right now just past the last channel swing.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum