Texas Fishing Forum

Running Granbury

Posted By: wishn4fishn

Running Granbury - 03/09/16 03:07 AM

Taking in-law and son for some bass fishing this weekend. Plan to put in at Rough Creek ramp.

Only fished the lake once... 7 years ago and only ran from Rough Creek to the Dam.

Wondering if anyone has any pointers on running from RC back up towards the river... how far can you safely run?

Appreciate any input
Posted By: WAWI

Re: Running Granbury - 03/09/16 03:13 AM

Stay on the bouys and you can run all the way I'm sure. I was up a mile or so south of log jam last week. That said with the amount of flow that's gonna come down the Brazos after this rain I'd stay south.
Posted By: JMac-D

Re: Running Granbury - 03/09/16 03:14 AM

With all this rain i'd watch out for debris in the water
Posted By: Team Skeeterless

Re: Running Granbury - 03/09/16 03:20 AM

Originally Posted By: JMac-D
With all this rain i'd watch out for debris in the water

Following the bouys you can run all the way to the river easily but there will be floaters after all this rain so be very careful!! Some floaters can be 1/2 a grown tree! scared
Posted By: Hog Jaw

Re: Running Granbury - 03/09/16 03:59 AM

Lots of floaters and trash in the water with all this rain , got to have your head on a swivel , have seen really big sections of trees in the water .
Posted By: G-Money Monster

Re: Running Granbury - 03/09/16 02:19 PM

Mud hole
Posted By: Chris Borden

Re: Running Granbury - 03/09/16 02:27 PM

It will be chocolate milk for weeks. If you don't know the lake well stay close to the bouys north of business 377. South of business 377 to port riglea you done have to hug the bouys. From port riglea to decordova stay close to the bouys. Hope this helps.
Posted By: Fish Killer

Re: Running Granbury - 03/09/16 02:42 PM

This sucks, I was heading down there this weekend for the first time this year. Don't really want to go if its a mudhole (which I am sure it is)
Posted By: Kyle_N07

Re: Running Granbury - 03/09/16 04:09 PM

Muddy for sure as B.R.A is probably to continue letting water out of PK till water levels are at or just below full pool. If you are still going to fish Granbury this weekend...
I would try to find backs of creeks that still have some run off to them and canals as far away from main lake since they seem to stay less muddy. Then chatterbaits,squarebils, spinnerbaits, and T-rigged craw baits fished slooowwww and right in/on cover. Don't be afraid to cast in same spot over and over smile
Posted By: Bugzout10

Re: Running Granbury - 03/09/16 04:35 PM

Last year I seen a floater that made me [censored] my pants a few weeks after big rains be careful
Posted By: Blueflake

Re: Running Granbury - 03/09/16 06:54 PM

According to the information I can find on the www, the gates on PK, Granbury and Whitney are all still basically close
http://www.swf-wc.usace.army.mil/reports/fish.htm
Posted By: Bass&More

Re: Running Granbury - 03/09/16 07:31 PM

Go South and head towards De Cordova fish peep
Posted By: starclan

Re: Running Granbury - 03/09/16 08:58 PM

According to the BRA web site they are currently releasing 27,500 cfs from Granbury.
Posted By: 361V

Re: Running Granbury - 03/09/16 09:23 PM

I live on the Brazos River downstream from Granbury. Lots of water being released which means lots of water being released from PK. BRA rules: one drop in = one drop out. Never let your reservoir be completely or past full. Never save. :-)
Posted By: Kyle_N07

Re: Running Granbury - 03/09/16 09:25 PM

Na, there are no fish in De Cordova. None in the cove or the creek all the way up to the Golf Course... cool
Posted By: Bass&More

Re: Running Granbury - 03/09/16 09:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Kyle_N07
Na, there are no fish in De Cordova. None in the cove or the creek all the way up to the Golf Course... cool

bolt bang peep

Re: Running Granbury - 03/09/16 10:27 PM

Water at my dock has been normal level with all this rain , gates must be stuck in open mode .

Re: Running Granbury - 03/10/16 12:18 AM

Thx all for the input and suggestions. Saved me a lot of time. South of 377 it is !!

Be safe out there or anywhere this weekend. Likely the same conditions or worse everywhere with all this rain!
Posted By: Team Skeeterless

Re: Running Granbury - 03/10/16 12:35 AM

Extremely muddy when I drove over it today. Like red chocolate milk. As mentioned before there will be plenty of floating debris for a couple weeks. If you fish very back of creeks and canals is your best bet to find some fresh and hopefully a little cleaner water.
Posted By: WAWI

Re: Running Granbury - 03/10/16 01:02 AM

Originally Posted By: wishn4fishn
Thx all for the input and suggestions. Saved me a lot of time. South of 377 it is !!

Be safe out there or anywhere this weekend. Likely the same conditions or worse everywhere with all this rain!

If I had to fish there this weekend I would probably do the decordova deal. It's been years since I fished in decordova but it always stayed a little cleaner.

Re: Running Granbury - 03/10/16 01:38 AM

Would it be better to put in at the dam/Decordova Bend ramp vs Rough Creek?
Posted By: Birdyjuice

Re: Running Granbury - 03/10/16 01:55 AM

I live in Granbury and drove over the 377 bridge today and i would seriously suggest either postponing or finding another lake to fish. The water level is up and moving more swiftly than usual, the water is super muddy (think chocolate milk) and there is lots of debris (saw a log from the bridge that looked to be about 30 ft long and about a foot or more in diameter) that can do damage to your lower unit or prop. In addition to the current crappy water conditions i fished there last friday and was pretty disappointed with the results. Caught some black bass but they were all really small (less than 12") and didn't see a single white.

If you are wanting to come this way you should probably go to Squaw Creek reservoir (you will have to register in advance and pay a fee), it will be much less impacted by the rain that we've had.
Posted By: 361V

Re: Running Granbury - 03/10/16 02:05 AM

Put in @ the dam if you are wanting to fish around the dam. Put in @ Rough Creek if you are going to fish anywhere from the power plant to the river. Honestly though with the heavy influx AND heavy releases it will quickly turn the entire lake muddy from one end to the others due to the water being drawn completely through the lake. The entire lake is safe to run as long as you simply follow the BRA buoys which continue from the dam all the way to the entrance to the river just above Hunter Park above Hwy 51. As mentioned above though the lake will be muddy with some floaters on the upper lake/river. The dam area will be your "least bad" choice. Concentrate in the many canals on the lake.
Posted By: 9094

Re: Running Granbury - 03/10/16 02:44 AM

Originally Posted By: Blueflake
According to the information I can find on the www, the gates on PK, Granbury and Whitney are all still basically close
http://www.swf-wc.usace.army.mil/reports/fish.htm

The reports are wrong. The abrazos at Mineral Wells is running full bank to bank.

Re: Running Granbury - 03/10/16 12:11 PM

Copy That on color of water , Bee Creek is chocolate milk , lots of trash still in water , level is still dock high , shad popping on surface during the day .
Posted By: catslayer

Re: Running Granbury - 03/10/16 02:51 PM

... go fish leon or proctor this weekend would be my advice lol
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum