Texas Fishing Forum

Step for Winch Mast issue

Posted By: Texascajun69

Step for Winch Mast issue - 03/08/16 08:09 PM

Just a word of advice to all who are looking at putting the extra Winch Mast Step on their boat. I absolutely love the extra step. I had knee surgery a few months ago and getting in an out of the boat is not as easy as before. I bought mine thru BPS in Grapevine and put it on my 2014 Nitro Z9. I put it on 3 weeks ago and made one trip to Conroe and back. This weekend when I was launching at Jackson Hill the whole winch mast broke off and went with the boat. Luckily it hung on the trailer and I was able to retrieve it. It appears the additional weight of the step and hand rail put too much sideways torque on the factory installed 5/16"U-bolts. Both were broke on the opposite side of than the step and rail. I replaced the broken bolts with 1/2" Trailer Spring Grade U-bolts. JUST A WORD TO THE WISE, if you are going to install this step (and I would recommend it) make sure the U-bolts for the mast are heavy enough for the additional weight.

Posted By: DedShort

Re: Step for Winch Mast issue - 03/08/16 08:21 PM

Good advice. Were you on the step when it broke?

Re: Step for Winch Mast issue - 03/08/16 08:25 PM

Nope. Stopped the truck to bump the boat and hurt a crash. I started to pull up when I realized the boat had gone much further than the amount of strap I had let off the winch. Got out and say it laying on the cross beam for the trailer. Waded out and got it. Disconnected from boat and put in back of truck. Problems came when I drove back to Midlothian. Had to tie down the front of the boat with strapping to stop it from bouncing.

Re: Step for Winch Mast issue - 03/08/16 09:19 PM

In the picture I put the bolts in on the opposite side form where they broke.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Step for Winch Mast issue - 03/09/16 12:12 AM

Yep. I had a guy at work make me one. And then he said he "perfected it", and gave me another one. It's sitting on my garage floor. Lol. They are nice to have.
Posted By: papamark

Re: Step for Winch Mast issue - 03/09/16 09:55 AM

I got the easy step, best investment I ever made for my trailer

http://easystepsystem.com/
Posted By: KingwoodCat

Re: Step for Winch Mast issue - 03/09/16 11:52 AM

or perhaps weld the step on instead of bolting.
Posted By: Tommie

Re: Step for Winch Mast issue - 03/09/16 12:36 PM

+1 on the Easy Step System. Great product and built in Tyler Texas USA!
Posted By: justin84

Re: Step for Winch Mast issue - 03/10/16 04:07 PM

What step is that??? im wanting one just like that
Posted By: Fish hunter 59

Re: Step for Winch Mast issue - 03/10/16 04:21 PM

I designed one and had it customs made ( welded ) at ARC Rite in Del Rio. It's strong and secure. Paid $250 which they decided was a little to cheap after building mine, probably be $350 now but there is nothin on the market that compares. I have two fake knees so it is an awesome addition. I don't have any pics on right now but if anyone is interested I can get them some. A good welder and fabricator is the way to go, and safe.
Posted By: beermill

Re: Step for Winch Mast issue - 03/10/16 04:31 PM

Originally Posted By: papamark
I got the easy step, best investment I ever made for my trailer

http://easystepsystem.com/

How much?
Posted By: RayBob

Re: Step for Winch Mast issue - 03/10/16 04:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Fish hunter 59
I designed one and had it customs made ( welded ) at ARC Rite in Del Rio. It's strong and secure. Paid $250 which they decided was a little to cheap after building mine, probably be $350 now but there is nothin on the market that compares. I have two fake knees so it is an awesome addition. I don't have any pics on right now but if anyone is interested I can get them some. A good welder and fabricator is the way to go, and safe.

wopics
Posted By: Fish hunter 59

Re: Step for Winch Mast issue - 03/10/16 06:36 PM

RayBob I'll get some posted!

beermill the easy step system is like $469, depends on the application. A couple of guys in my club had them when I got mine made, the wish they had waited, not really a bad product just a little light weight.
Posted By: 2strike

Re: Step for Winch Mast issue - 03/10/16 06:53 PM

I would love to see pictures of your system Fish Hunter 59 or text to 9035211330
Thanks
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Step for Winch Mast issue - 03/10/16 07:57 PM

Anyone wanna trade for the extra one i have?
Posted By: fordnut

Re: Step for Winch Mast issue - 03/10/16 08:22 PM

I was thinking of building something like this for mine.

http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/11468597/Searchpage/1/Main/919995/Words/boat+trailer+step/Search/true/Re:_Boat_Trailer_Steps#Post11468597

Re: Step for Winch Mast issue - 03/10/16 10:16 PM

I purchased this step from Bass Pro Shops Grapevines store. It was custom made for my Z9. The costs was $198. I love the step. I had knee surgery last Nov. and getting in and out of the boat when I was launching or loading it had got to be pretty difficult. This extra set (2 on trailer) and the hand hold has made this a safe operation now. BPS calls it a WINCH STAND STEP AND HANDLE. The only problem was the light weight U-bolts for the Winch Stand that came with the trailer.
Posted By: NITRO Z8

Re: Step for Winch Mast issue - 03/11/16 01:04 AM

I also have an e-z step that I'd trade or deal with if any one is interested.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum