Texas Fishing Forum

Baby brush hog

Posted By: Bonedoc

Baby brush hog - 03/01/16 03:42 AM

What size weight do you use to penetrate heavy brush with a baby brush hog? I normally have used 1/8, 3/16, 1/4 ounce weights but believe I need a heavier weight to penetrate the heart of the thick stuff. I really like baby brush hogs but don't know if it too small a bait to be paired with a 3/4 ounce size weight. I would appreciate your input or if there is a different flipping bait you prefer..
Posted By: Ban-D

Re: Baby brush hog - 03/01/16 03:47 AM

1/4 is my most common weight. You for sure need a heavier weight to get through thick matts or grass. I also peg my bait when punching.I use as light as 5/16 and heavy as 1. I don't fish any where where I need over a 1oz weight.a baby brush hog is a fine bait since it has a small profile. Beaver baits are pretty common flipping baits.something with a sleek profile to get in and out better.
Posted By: JMac-D

Re: Baby brush hog - 03/01/16 04:30 AM

Originally Posted By: Ban-D
1/4 is my most common weight. You for sure need a heavier weight to get through thick matts or grass. I also peg my bait when punching.I use as light as 5/16 and heavy as 1. I don't fish any where where I need over a 1oz weight.a baby brush hog is a fine bait since it has a small profile. Beaver baits are pretty common flipping baits.something with a sleek profile to get in and out better.

thumb

Re: Baby brush hog - 03/01/16 11:36 AM

Thank you for the information!
Posted By: wootersbassin

Re: Baby brush hog - 03/01/16 01:43 PM

to punch a brush hog u will probably need a 1/2 depending on the cover brush hog will slid in and easy
Posted By: Crazyfish

Re: Baby brush hog - 03/01/16 03:05 PM

Super Hog is better to use when punching grass IMO. Used both but the tails of the brush hog(baby) seem to get tangled around limbs and brush alot more than a super hog or a beaver bait.
Posted By: musiclife_7

Re: Baby brush hog - 03/01/16 03:58 PM

baby brush hog is great for light cover, outside edges of brush or grass...if you are throwing it into the brush...I would recommend using a Z-hog or other beaver style bait. You will have more success and it will frustrate you less.

Re: Baby brush hog - 03/02/16 12:40 AM

Thanks for all the suggestions!
Posted By: Paul Jeffcoat

Re: Baby brush hog - 03/02/16 12:59 AM

Bonedoc, I've found that the V&M Swamp Hogs actually (by design) will penetrate thick cover easier than the BH with lighter weights. Try it... the appendages are designed differently to glide through trash much better without friction.
Posted By: Fast Lane

Re: Baby brush hog - 03/02/16 01:20 AM

V&M Swamp Hogs are better IMO.
Posted By: airforcefishin

Re: Baby brush hog - 03/02/16 04:06 AM

Originally Posted By: Paul Jeffcoat
Bonedoc, I've found that the V&M Swamp Hogs actually (by design) will penetrate thick cover easier than the BH with lighter weights. Try it... the appendages are designed differently to glide through trash much better without friction.
Posted By: rxkid2001

Re: Baby brush hog - 03/02/16 05:46 AM

Use a beaver bait, less stuff hanging off of it to get hung up.
Posted By: jbaughman10

Re: Baby brush hog - 03/02/16 06:59 PM

I have used the baby brush hogs paired with a 3/8 or 1/2 flipping tungsten and swam it thru some pretty nasty stuff.
Posted By: Arkansas10 bass

Re: Baby brush hog - 03/02/16 09:39 PM

3/8-1/2 for hydrilla. I use a push pole to "punch" with.

Re: Baby brush hog - 03/03/16 03:38 AM

thumb Thanks!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum