Texas Fishing Forum

Pulling a bass boat through DFW airport

Posted By: 4js

Pulling a bass boat through DFW airport - 02/29/16 10:31 PM

I'm driving to DFW airport from out of town to pickup a family member. I will be pulling my bass boat. Any restrictions if I pickup him up curbside? Thanks!
Posted By: Bass Buster1

Re: Pulling a bass boat through DFW airport - 02/29/16 10:53 PM

Tight corners and the need to make quick lane changes when you peel off to go to the terminals.
Posted By: SoonerDG

Re: Pulling a bass boat through DFW airport - 02/29/16 11:01 PM

Man I would try to make other arrangements. The traffic and tight corners at DFW are a struggle just in a truck. I wouldn't want to be pulling a boat. Plus there's a LOT of construction going on making it necessary for last second lane changes. There a BassPro just north. They might let you drop the boat there for a little while while you pick up your friend.
Posted By: Jersey Dan

Re: Pulling a bass boat through DFW airport - 02/29/16 11:02 PM

Those toll lanes through the airport are really f**n tight.
Posted By: tx2va07

Re: Pulling a bass boat through DFW airport - 02/29/16 11:03 PM

Agree with Sooner. Even coming in to the airport where you have to get your toll ticket, those booths are very tight, not sure if they have a wider lane.
Posted By: Bass&More

Re: Pulling a bass boat through DFW airport - 02/29/16 11:06 PM

de peep
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Pulling a bass boat through DFW airport - 02/29/16 11:12 PM

You can go thru the airport and not use the toll lanes, plenty of room both on paths for boats.
Posted By: TwoLakes

Re: Pulling a bass boat through DFW airport - 02/29/16 11:14 PM

I have to agree with the rest. I would be very nervous pulling my boat through the airport.

I like the BassPro Idea. Probably a good place to drop it for a bit. Otherwise, you could arrange to pick him up at one of the park and ride locations outside the airport. Just have him grab one of the park and ride shuttles that go back and forth.

A cab is another option. He could get a taxi and meet you somewhere.

If you do decide to pick him up while towing the boat, let us know how it goes. :-)
Posted By: EastTexasBassin

Re: Pulling a bass boat through DFW airport - 02/29/16 11:16 PM

Just reading the title of this thread made me cringe. Driving through dfw is tough enough in a truck. No way I would try to pull a boat through those narrow lanes, tight turns, and construction. Find another way
Posted By: GROD

Re: Pulling a bass boat through DFW airport - 02/29/16 11:18 PM

You won't be able to pick him up curb side pulling a boat... I just went through there... Really depends on terminal, but if it's the one I just went through in my truck then it's not possible.
Posted By: TexasTechliprip

Re: Pulling a bass boat through DFW airport - 02/29/16 11:21 PM

have them uber to an offsite location close by

it will cost them $5.00
Posted By: dallasdawg

Re: Pulling a bass boat through DFW airport - 02/29/16 11:26 PM

Have your buddy take the shuttle bus to Remote North Parking area and pick him up at the bus stop building. The bus stop is on N Airfield Drive. From that road, you can get on 114, 635, or 121.
Posted By: J2H1

Re: Pulling a bass boat through DFW airport - 02/29/16 11:26 PM

I did it once several years ago. Timed it for scheduled arrival almost perfectly. The flight ended up 2 hours late.I had to do loops until he showed up. No place to park with a trailer except curbside and they never had enough open space.Cell phones would make it easier than before but still a pain.
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Pulling a bass boat through DFW airport - 02/29/16 11:58 PM

I go to the airport almost every day. You could but like said it can get tight with all the construction. There is a DART station at the airport, accessed by the frontage roads. You could have him go to it and pick him up there. It doesn't have parking but it does have a drop off lane that you could use with the boat and getting to it is no problem or the next best solution would be for him to take a shuttle to one of the parking facilities and you pick him up there.
Posted By: Boomstickfishing

Re: Pulling a bass boat through DFW airport - 03/01/16 12:00 AM

Have your family member change their flight to love field and you are good to go.
Posted By: 44 Diesel

Re: Pulling a bass boat through DFW airport - 03/01/16 12:02 AM

Expect to see a few fingers pointed your way, people there can be absolute idiots
Posted By: El Skeeter

Re: Pulling a bass boat through DFW airport - 03/01/16 12:03 AM

I wouldn't try it with a boat. shocked
Posted By: B-Deuces

Re: Pulling a bass boat through DFW airport - 03/01/16 12:32 AM

Done it with a boat a few times (back when I had a 17ft) and didn't have much issues. Some of the turns were a little tight but no concern. The toll booths have designated wide lanes on the left side, I've brought my 20ft triton through there no problem. Depends on the terminal, some of the terminals force you a detour through the parking garage, wouldn't be able to make those turns with a long boat, but the others are fine, especially if you use the lower level drop off/pick up
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: Pulling a bass boat through DFW airport - 03/01/16 12:40 AM

have him take a free shuttle to a local hotel..several on the north side..maybe embassy suites, right at Bass Pro shop..
Posted By: I love fishing

Re: Pulling a bass boat through DFW airport - 03/01/16 01:14 AM

I wouldn't do it. Asking for trouble at tight turns. My wife works for American Airlines and it can get pretty nerve racking especially towing a boat.
Posted By: fitter2259

Re: Pulling a bass boat through DFW airport - 03/01/16 01:16 AM

Originally Posted By: JIM SR.
have him take a free shuttle to a local hotel..several on the north side..maybe embassy suites, right at Bass Pro shop..

Ding Ding Ding!!!

Airport aint no place for a boat.
Posted By: soonersorlaters

Re: Pulling a bass boat through DFW airport - 03/01/16 01:44 AM

Originally Posted By: 4js
I'm driving to DFW airport from out of town to pickup a family member. I will be pulling my bass boat. Any restrictions if I pickup him up curbside? Thanks!

They have 2 wide lanes at both ends of the airport to get in and out. I would not want to navigate a 10 ft trailer in the tight turn terminals though, much less a bass boat.

I work 5 minutes on the North side of DFW and go through there everyday. I'd drop the boat with a good hitch lock, go pick him up and then go get the boat. Assuming flight is on time and he's a carry-on passenger, I'd drop 10 minutes before arrival time and head over.

BPS suggestion is a good idea as it's just a few minutes away from the North exit. I'd just pull it back around the general area of the service dept and go.
Posted By: Rickmb

Re: Pulling a bass boat through DFW airport - 03/01/16 01:48 AM

Originally Posted By: 4js

I have pulled mine through the San Antonio airport numerous times.
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Pulling a bass boat through DFW airport - 03/01/16 01:53 AM

Originally Posted By: 7K Bar
Have your family member change their flight to love field and you are good to go.

I would do it at Love but not DFW.
Posted By: toofy

Re: Pulling a bass boat through DFW airport - 03/02/16 04:05 AM

You should just leave it with me and I'll watch it for you. I'll meet you at the ramp up in Lake Lewisville. Make sure you gas it up first. flush_2
Posted By: Pine Mills Tracker

Re: Pulling a bass boat through DFW airport - 03/02/16 02:09 PM

There is some public parking in front of the rental car center. He could take the rental car shuttle to the center for free and meet there.
Posted By: Texan Til I Die

Re: Pulling a bass boat through DFW airport - 03/02/16 03:43 PM

If you do decide to pull it through the airport, be sure to have a camera and take lots of pics. This has the potential to be an epic fail!
Posted By: Toxarch

Re: Pulling a bass boat through DFW airport - 03/02/16 11:08 PM

The wide lanes on the South end are in the center of the toll booths. I can get my truck through the narrow ones and it's pretty tight, no way the trailer would fit through the narrow ones. Dropping the boat off somewhere or having them take a remote parking bus would make it a lot easier.
Posted By: BMCD

Re: Pulling a bass boat through DFW airport - 03/02/16 11:25 PM

Big cargo trucks and wide shuttle vans go thru those areas all the time.
Posted By: Paul Jeffcoat

Re: Pulling a bass boat through DFW airport - 03/02/16 11:30 PM

I travel out of DFW all the time. It can be done... but it also depends on time of day too. Your friend can taka hotel shuttle to the Airport Hyatt and pick him/her there. If they are arriving at Terminal D, then this whole thread is not necessary. Getting into and out of Terminal D drop off area is a piece of cake, even with a boat in tow. Terminal A is a bitch right now.
Posted By: BrianTx01

Re: Pulling a bass boat through DFW airport - 03/04/16 01:24 PM

Have him take the free shuttle to the TRE CentrePort station and pick him up there.
Posted By: Texascajun69

Re: Pulling a bass boat through DFW airport - 03/04/16 02:34 PM

I have done it many times. There are wide lanes at the toll booths that are well marked and depending on what terminal you are going to depends if there is an construction. Take your time and you shouldn't have any problems. Heck my wife picked up there one time pulling my boat and has only pulled my boat one or two times in her life
Posted By: tyingknots

Re: Pulling a bass boat through DFW airport - 03/04/16 03:11 PM

I agree. I pick up my cousin using this method. Have him take remote parking north or south and pick him up there. It's a free shuttle for them.
Posted By: BThomas

Re: Pulling a bass boat through DFW airport - 03/04/16 04:28 PM

Use Uber
Posted By: Rob Lay

Re: Pulling a bass boat through DFW airport - 03/04/16 04:32 PM

ha, I pulled boat through downtown Dallas last night. that new offramp from 30 to 35E got me confused and I ended up south of the river and then had to come back.
Posted By: catslayer

Re: Pulling a bass boat through DFW airport - 03/04/16 05:38 PM

Originally Posted By: TexasTechliprip
have them uber to an offsite location close by

it will cost them $5.00

Dfw would be hard... love field you could do it easy...
Posted By: Culling again

Re: Pulling a bass boat through DFW airport - 03/07/16 05:25 PM

Sooo.....what are you going to do? juggle
Posted By: johnnlucky

Re: Pulling a bass boat through DFW airport - 03/07/16 05:53 PM

I've picked up friends at the airport with my Dodge Ram Quad cab and my 19' Skeeter. I didn't have any problems. They have a wide lane to enter the airport. The construction constantly changes. But if in doubt have you friend get Uber and meet you at Bass Pro.
Posted By: jimritcholds481

Re: Pulling a bass boat through DFW airport - 03/07/16 06:46 PM

depends on what kind of driver you are, didn't have any trouble with a horse trailer and a dually pickup. i like the idea of Uber to basspro, any excuse to buy more fishing gear is a good idea.
Posted By: The Lake Fork Rain God

Re: Pulling a bass boat through DFW airport - 03/07/16 10:23 PM

Have him take the free shuttle to the car rental center on the south side of the airport. You avoid all the construction and the stupid airport toll lanes. The construction at some of the terminals is awful. Very constricted lanes and tight turns.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum