Texas Fishing Forum

Joe Pool

Posted By: Bobby Milam

Joe Pool - 02/27/16 12:49 AM

Going to Pool tomorrow with Grandson. I was wondering how it was since the rain. I'm hoping that it didn't cool the water down. Have they moved in shallow yet?
Posted By: Slade

Re: Joe Pool - 02/27/16 01:52 AM

I was out there last Saturday. Found water close to 60 degrees but was mainly fishing, looking around off shore. Went back into one pocket but didn't see much activity shallow. I'm sure the water has cooled off and gotten a little dirtier.

Re: Joe Pool - 02/27/16 03:07 AM

I don't have much confidence that it will be any better than last Saturday and it is going to be windy again. I was sure hoping to hear someone say they are biting a little.

Re: Joe Pool - 02/27/16 03:53 AM

I may go Sunday, I will focus on deeper water, but they should be moving up soon. I am no expert by any means, just my observation, I think they move up more based on the longer days than just the water temps. It usually goes hand and hand, but the longer days have more impact IMO. It should be pretty good everywhere here in a few more weeks.

Re: Joe Pool - 02/27/16 04:25 AM

If I find them, I'll shoot you a message and let you know where.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Joe Pool - 02/27/16 10:50 AM

I'll be there Sunday too. Looking. Searching.....and looking some more. Lol.
Posted By: gitzitboy

Re: Joe Pool - 02/27/16 01:02 PM

Yesterday temp was a constant 57. Loyd creek is a mudhole from the rain..
Posted By: ToadThrower

Re: Joe Pool - 02/27/16 01:44 PM

I went yesterday (friday) for a few hours found some 59 degree water...caught a couple off of points on north shore...water is still fairly stained, maybe 1 foot to 18 inch visibility.(Fished the Lynn Creek part of the lake) ...Talked to a couple of others that went to Walnut creek area..they said it was about 58 and like chocolate milk...they didnt catch any fish..

Re: Joe Pool - 02/27/16 03:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Bobby Milam
If I find them, I'll shoot you a message and let you know where.

Ok Bobby, I always appreciate any help/ideas/suggestions.
Posted By: wagonwheel

Re: Joe Pool - 02/27/16 08:25 PM

We caught a few this morning (Sat) including this FAT female!

Laugh at the hat if you want, my ears & head were nice and warm.
Posted By: 14foreal11

Re: Joe Pool - 02/27/16 08:47 PM

how deep ?
Posted By: Daniel Mtanous

Re: Joe Pool - 02/27/16 11:45 PM

Been bank fishing at Joe Pool. Water is muddy and haven't had a bite. Wind was blowing too. If anyone goes please update on water conditions.
Posted By: Greg W

Re: Joe Pool - 02/28/16 12:40 AM

Tried this morning. Weather was beautiful. They were not in the shallow water. Tried the rocks along the bridge south of the state park. Tried the coves as others were fishing there, but didn't even get a bite. I'm pretty new to fishing this area and really fishing in general as I just got a boat last summer. In the fall I had some great luck along the rocks in shallow water next to the bridges. This time of year if they are deeper, where do you fish and what do you use. I had been using mostly crank baits along the rocks in the fall.

thx

Re: Joe Pool - 02/28/16 02:29 AM

We had the best luck along the West side of pressure point in what is commonly called "party cove" (East side of party cove). We started at the cove/creek in the back and worked our way around the shoreline until we were past pressure point. We stayed in about 10-15 of water and cast toward the shore. Most of the fish came on a C-rig with a Strike King 7" Super Finesse Worm in Dirt color.

The fat female in the picture above came at the point just East of the water intake at the dam. That is the only fish we caught there as the wind proved to be too much for us to stay. I am not sure how deep she was as we were fishing the drop-off. Water temp today was around 54.

Joe Pool is a C-rig lake. Something red usually works pretty good, although that was not the case today. Keeping the boat in about 10-15 feet is the norm for me. Good luck out there.

Re: Joe Pool - 02/28/16 02:45 AM

I went but didn't have much luck. One small dink in shallow water (less than 2ft) Tried Everywhere from 1-30'. Huge balls of shad out in 20-50' of water. Found some fish stacked up around 20' but could not get them to bite anything. All the idiots are coming out with the weather. I saw boats stacking 5' from each other. I went back into a tiny cove and another boat just drove in and pulled in front of me. If they think you are catching, they're coming from across the lake.

Wagonwheel, I fished that area 3 times throughout the day. I couldn't get them but I didn't try a c-rig today.

Re: Joe Pool - 02/28/16 02:50 AM

I went but didn't have much luck. One small dink in shallow water (less than 2ft) Tried Everywhere from 1-30'. Huge balls of shad out in 20-50' of water. Found some fish stacked up around 20' but could not get them to bite anything. All the idiots are coming out with the weather. I saw boats stacking 5' from each other. I went back into a tiny cove and another boat just drove in and pulled in front of me. If they think you are catching, they're coming from across the lake.

Wagonwheel, I fished that area 3 times throughout the day. I couldn't get them but I didn't try a c-rig today.

When they try to follow me, I get on pad and go south of the east bridge. Full blast. I know the lake like the back of my hand. I like to see if they do too! Usually, they chicken out pretty quick.
Posted By: chunkin

Re: Joe Pool - 02/28/16 03:24 AM

they use to have a lane marked out there
Posted By: chickenfried76

Re: Joe Pool - 02/28/16 03:24 AM

Re: Joe Pool - 02/28/16 05:33 AM

Originally Posted By: chunkin

They do atleast the part way that I have gone back. Someone told me that they didn't set them correctly and there are still things to hit in the marked lane. I haven't gone back to check it out. I'm always on the other side of the lake.

Re: Joe Pool - 02/28/16 12:26 PM

They do atleast the part way that I have gone back. Someone told me that they didn't set them correctly and there are still things to hit in the marked lane. I haven't gone back to check it out. I'm always on the other side of the lake.

It has been a while since I have been on the South side of the bridge on that side of the lake. However, the last time I was over there, the boat lane marker buoys were NOT where they should be. I have the way through there marked (waypoints) on my electronics. I followed the path from the Navionics app on my iPhone from the bridge to the Britton landing. I did it at clutch ahead speed while setting the waypoints. Be careful over there!

On another note, if you plan to fish Joe Pool often, you may consider buying the Hook-N-Line map of the lake. I have found it very helpful.

Re: Joe Pool - 02/28/16 02:32 PM

Yea sir. They are wrong. I have a track on my GPS that is safe with about a 20-30ft wide path.

It's "hyper accurate" like in the movie Crimson Tide. Lol. Not. It's still has a pucker factor.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum