Texas Fishing Forum

Bed Fish...

Posted By: John P085

Bed Fish... - 02/26/16 06:02 PM

Fish that are caught off beds then brought to a weigh in, will they travel back to those same beds? Or how does that work?
Posted By: pil,b

Re: Bed Fish... - 02/26/16 06:31 PM

They just find first sugar daddy with a king size bed. banana
Posted By: redskeeter190

Re: Bed Fish... - 02/26/16 06:42 PM

It all depends on how far away the weigh in is......I'm a firm believer that a bass will travel a good distance, and eventually make it back to the general area.....JMO....
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Bed Fish... - 02/26/16 06:57 PM

Ive heard they have tracked bass and they eventually make it back to their old area but also hear that they hang out where near where dropped off. Not really sure which it is but have always wondered it also
Posted By: John P085

Re: Bed Fish... - 02/26/16 06:58 PM

Originally Posted By: redskeeter190
It all depends on how far away the weigh in is......I'm a firm believer that a bass will travel a good distance, and eventually make it back to the general area.....JMO....

I also believe that and have read studies on fish that were tagged and released miles away from where they were caught and they were caught again in the same area some time later. But let's say a female is weighed in that's full of eggs, weighed in 10 miles away from where she was fixing to lay her eggs. Will they just lay them any where or lose those eggs?
Posted By: RayBob

Re: Bed Fish... - 02/26/16 07:46 PM

Originally Posted By: John P085
Originally Posted By: redskeeter190

I also believe that and have read studies on fish that were tagged and released miles away from where they were caught and they were caught again in the same area some time later. But let's say a female is weighed in that's full of eggs, weighed in 10 miles away from where she was fixing to lay her eggs. Will they just lay them any where or lose those eggs?

No, that year class for that female is lost from the gene pool.

John Hope did some interesting tracking studies
Posted By: Outdoordude

Re: Bed Fish... - 02/26/16 07:50 PM

Most will hang out where they are released for a short time, a day or more, before making their way back to their home range/area. A few never leave.
Posted By: timwins31

Re: Bed Fish... - 02/26/16 10:14 PM

Yea there have been studies done about it. Most of the released fish won't travel much more than a mile or two.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum