Texas Fishing Forum

Abu Garcia

Posted By: NitroRunner

Abu Garcia - 02/25/16 11:57 PM

I have been using Abu Garcia reels for a good while now and I love my older generation REVO STX's and Winch models. However I bought several of the latest generation of STX and winch reels and I am less than thrilled with them . They dont cast as well and the winch series I cannot get them set up to cast a crank bait in the wind without a major backlash unless I screw the spool down tight which kills the distance. My older winch reels I can cast directly into the wind with no backlashes. About the only thing I like about the new ones is they are lighter. So my question is what reel to try in the same price range? I am thinking about giving the Diawa Tatula reels a try. I have a couple of Curados and one I love and one I hate so I am not going down that path again. Thanks for your opinions.
Posted By: OneFishAway

Re: Abu Garcia - 02/26/16 12:11 AM

I bought a new Revo STX and had the same issue. Sold it and bought another Curado.
Posted By: David Medler

Re: Abu Garcia - 02/26/16 03:03 AM

I'm an Abu guy and have used just about all of them. I like the SX better than the STX and I like the Premiers better than the MGX. Every reel out there has the potential to be a "lemon". Don't give up on the Revos.
Posted By: 04champ

Re: Abu Garcia - 02/26/16 04:44 AM

I feel the same way, love my Gen 1 Revos but don't love the rest. I bought some Curado and Chronarchs this year and like them a lot.
Posted By: NitroRunner

Re: Abu Garcia - 02/27/16 10:21 PM

Thanks for the opinions guys
Posted By: Pumadon

Re: Abu Garcia - 02/27/16 11:55 PM

Personally love the Premiers over any of the others.
Posted By: rxkid2001

Re: Abu Garcia - 02/28/16 03:28 AM

Lews bb1
Posted By: David Parker

Re: Abu Garcia - 02/28/16 04:15 AM

Im glad im not the only one that feels the same way about the newer revos.The breaking system is to pfluegery for me.the 1st generation models were the best.
Posted By: David Parker

Re: Abu Garcia - 02/28/16 04:21 AM

The daiwa zillion would be the closest thing comparable to an older 1st generation stx.they are more expensive but feel and palm like the revo.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum