Texas Fishing Forum

Academy

Posted By: papamark

Academy - 02/25/16 12:05 PM

I saw that they are opening a store in Greenville, now I don't have to go to Dallas or Texarkana - banana
Posted By: westtexgolfer

Re: Academy - 02/25/16 02:26 PM

The one in Greenville is not going to be carrying any fishing gear unfortunately... OMG stir frkazoid
Posted By: Dr. Chase

Re: Academy - 02/25/16 02:32 PM

the one in Burleson is horrible with their fishing section. Half of the racks stay empty most of the time. The local Walmart carries more. Academy in general have all seemed to have cut way back on what they carry fishing wise.
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: Academy - 02/26/16 01:50 AM

Originally Posted By: Brazos Bass Cat
the one in Burleson is horrible with their fishing section. Half of the racks stay empty most of the time. The local Walmart carries more. Academy in general have all seemed to have cut way back on what they carry fishing wise.

Most of the ones I frequent have fishing racks that look like they are going out of business. But they have 500 different styles of running shoes!
Posted By: SkeeterRonnie

Re: Academy - 02/26/16 01:52 AM

Originally Posted By: Rayzor

Most of the ones I frequent have fishing racks that look like they are going out of business. But they have 500 different styles of running shoes!

RIP Casey Allison. He sold all his fishing gear and is now a runner. I blame Academy!
Posted By: Weekender1

Re: Academy - 02/26/16 01:54 AM

The Tyler Academy has re-done their whole fishing dept. It is now bigger and lots more empty pegs on the new shelves. They got done with construction a week ago but still have not restocked. Once they do looks they are going to be great. They have also improved their rod selection and a new reel counter that looks to be fully stocked.

Jody
Posted By: SkeeterRonnie

Re: Academy - 02/26/16 02:05 AM

The Academy in Garland is a good one like that. Really impressed me.
Posted By: Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad

Re: Academy - 02/26/16 02:06 AM

I have complained at the Denton store several times on how the plastics are organized or unorganized. Take the zoom section baby brushog colors are just put wherever there is room other baits are the same way you have to look through the whole section for the color your looking for. If I don't have to have something within a few days I'll just order from TW. I don't usually have 10 minutes to dig to find each color I went in to get.

I have been told by store employees they have a outside company that organizes their tackle and if this is the case they need to be fired.

I really hope the Greenville store will be set up nice for you Mark, but the last few academy stores I have been in were lacking in fishing tackle to say the least. The store over by my deer lease in Monroe La. Probably has the best selection I have seen in any academy stores in years. If all of them were stocked like that store I bet they would sell a lot more fishing and hunting related items.
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Academy - 02/26/16 02:41 AM

Originally Posted By: Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad
I have complained at the Denton store several times on how the plastics are organized or unorganized. Take the zoom section baby brushog colors are just put wherever there is room other baits are the same way you have to look through the whole section for the color your looking for. If I don't have to have something within a few days I'll just order from TW. I don't usually have 10 minutes to dig to find each color I went in to get.

I have been told by store employees they have a outside company that organizes their tackle and if this is the case they need to be fired.

I really hope the Greenville store will be set up nice for you Mark, but the last few academy stores I have been in were lacking in fishing tackle to say the least. The store over by my deer lease in Monroe La. Probably has the best selection I have seen in any academy stores in years. If all of them were stocked like that store I bet they would sell a lot more fishing and hunting related items.

This ^^^^ the one in Monroe is the best Academy I've been to. Shopped there many times.
Posted By: Der Vorsteher

Re: Academy - 02/26/16 03:18 AM

Academy is just a place for trophy wives to buy yoga pants. Ever since they sold out it has become a clothing store. The one here in Longview is ok but luckily we have a couple of nice tackle shops.
Posted By: ko bass attack 27

Re: Academy - 02/26/16 05:47 AM

Can we get some pics of these trophy wives in yoga pants ? We need to dissolve these rumors.
Posted By: John-Mark

Re: Academy - 02/26/16 07:28 AM

Originally Posted By: Der Vorsteher™
Academy is just a place for trophy wives to buy yoga pants. Ever since they sold out it has become a clothing store. The one here in Longview is ok but luckily we have a couple of nice tackle shops.

What tackle shops in Longview ??
Posted By: bassmasterffej

Re: Academy - 02/26/16 01:01 PM

banana
Posted By: Spiderman

Re: Academy - 02/26/16 01:27 PM

Originally Posted By: Weekender
The Tyler Academy has re-done their whole fishing dept. It is now bigger and lots more empty pegs on the new shelves. They got done with construction a week ago but still have not restocked. Once they do looks they are going to be great. They have also improved their rod selection and a new reel counter that looks to be fully stocked.

Jody

Academy in Tyler has always been the best stocked for fishing!!!
Posted By: DustyHartOutdoors

Re: Academy - 02/26/16 02:22 PM

www.Academy.com, I'm pretty much done with wasting my time going to the stores. We have 7 or 8 stores in the San Antonio area and there might be 2 worth going into. The store that I went to most frequently has been out of the same stuff in the fishing department for over a year without restocking!
Posted By: Rhino68W

Re: Academy - 02/26/16 02:49 PM

The one in Fort Worth off of Bryant Irvin is decent. I never have a problem finding what I need there.
Posted By: Old Man Skeeter

Re: Academy - 02/26/16 02:52 PM

The Greenville store will be three blocks from my house, so I will check it out and let you know how the fishing department is.
Posted By: FishTheBite

Re: Academy - 02/26/16 03:07 PM

Wow, I though I was the only one wondering the aisles in confusion. Of the three I have access to here in the Austin area only one seems to have decent management and sadly it is in an area where the trophy wives are definitely their target. The other two are very disorganized. The outdoor gear must not be a profit center for them anymore. If it was it would get more attention.

On the positive side if you are patient and watch you can find some great deals. I managed to pick up an All-star rod yesterday that was originally priced at $69.99 for $15.98. I know it is a Chinese rod and All-star isn't what it was, but it was a rod that fills a gap and too good of a deal to pass up. They had several others marked down 30% or more.
Posted By: Nathan "Bull" Montgomery

Re: Academy - 02/26/16 03:56 PM

Amen to this. Thats why I go to the Bryant Irvin or Cherry Lane stores. Way better selection. For example the other day I was looking for glass beads that go in the air tail rattlers. Burleson Academy no go. Cherry Lane Academy had 3 different sizes in stock smile
Posted By: YAKaddict

Re: Academy - 02/26/16 06:35 PM

Originally Posted By: ko bass attack 27
Can we get some pics of these trophy wives in yoga pants ? We need to dissolve these rumors.

I used to work there.... The stories about yoga milfs is definately not a myth!
Posted By: Captain Chunk

Re: Academy - 02/26/16 06:50 PM

I would suspect the fishing department is going to be rather good at this one, being that the next closest Academy to Fork is in Tyler.
Posted By: LakeForkLodge

Re: Academy - 02/27/16 12:12 AM

Saweet!
Posted By: mykey

Re: Academy - 02/27/16 01:01 AM

I frequently shop Burleson and Bryant Irvin Stores for fishing and hunting and they are terrible !! I have shopped the Waco store a couple of times and it is usually stocked some better but poorly organized for the amount of traffic in the store. If I have to have something that I cant wait for internet shopping I go to Cabelas. They always .. ALWAYS .. have GOOD selection BUT can be expensive. So SAD because Academy used to be great place to get fishing and hunting supplies !!
Posted By: Der Vorsteher

Re: Academy - 02/27/16 01:09 AM

Originally Posted By: John-Mark
Originally Posted By: Der Vorsteher™

What tackle shops in Longview ??

East Texas Sonar has some good stuff and Solid Pawn and Outdoors.
Posted By: brennansgrandpa

Re: Academy - 02/27/16 01:17 AM

The store will carry a full assortment of fishing and hunting and will be pretty much identical to Tyler, just a little smaller in overall size.
Posted By: Scott's Creek Skeeter

Re: Academy - 02/27/16 12:48 PM

Went to Acadamy in Longview the other day and I don't want to bad mouth but there bait selection sucked!!!!
Posted By: shiv

Re: Academy - 02/27/16 01:07 PM

Since 2011 when the investment company KKR bought out Academy everything has changed for the worse! Enough said about a New York company. Greed is good!
Posted By: wetduck

Re: Academy - 02/27/16 01:13 PM

after yesterday i am hoping they close the one in Burleson and open something useful there, cause it is a waste of space
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Academy - 02/27/16 02:22 PM

I like Academy. The one on North Tarrant is excellent. Really like the Tyler and Longview stores too. Both are awesome.
Posted By: Bassalong

Re: Academy - 02/27/16 02:35 PM

Don't discount the Academy internet site. They don't have the selection of Tackle Warehouse, but they do have a lot of the basic stuff. $25 minimum order and they do get stuff out quickly on regular ground shipping.
Posted By: J.P. Greeson

Re: Academy - 02/27/16 03:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Bassalong
Don't discount the Academy internet site. They don't have the selection of Tackle Warehouse, but they do have a lot of the basic stuff. $25 minimum order and they do get stuff out quickly on regular ground shipping.

x2 on that. I live about an hour from an Academy, so I don't make it to the store very often, but I order from their web site all the time.
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: Academy - 02/28/16 11:34 PM

Originally Posted By: J.P. Greeson
Originally Posted By: Bassalong

x2 on that. I live about an hour from an Academy, so I don't make it to the store very often, but I order from their web site all the time.

That's the problem, these days. Too many retailers think you're supposed to buy online. There are times when I don't want to wait a week for something to arrive by mail. I firmly believe that since there are so many Academy stores, they would steal a bunch of business from online stores if they would just go back to keeping their racks stocked.
Posted By: MikeB@TX.

Re: Academy - 02/28/16 11:42 PM

College Station Academy fishing dept. SUCKS. Plain and simple terrible.
Posted By: bloo_rainger

Re: Academy - 02/29/16 12:44 AM

The one in grapevine may not have a good fishing supply but, go anytime during the day, during the week and it will not disappoint. It's worth the trip.
Posted By: FlaNative

Re: Academy - 02/29/16 01:06 AM

They brought a Gander Mountain in to Lake Worth instead of an Academy... I'll trade you the GM straight-up for any Academy! I hear they might be remodeling our GM to increase the fishing department... hope that's true or they won't be here long. I drive past it all the time to get to either Academy or Angler's Pro Tackle.

I visited the Cabela's Outpost in Waco this weekend... Now that store I could support 100%!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum