Texas Fishing Forum

Tungsten weights

Posted By: Troutnout

Tungsten weights - 02/25/16 03:48 AM

Who has the best prices. I know a while back someone on the forum was selling by the weight, but always seemed to be out of 3/4 and 1ounce.
Posted By: WillieKetchum

Re: Tungsten weights - 02/25/16 03:58 AM

Cheaper is not always better with Tungsten. On some of the cheaper tungsten the inside isn't polished well and it will fray your line. Always check it.
Posted By: danwill12

Re: Tungsten weights - 02/25/16 04:02 AM

Try Flatland Tackle Joey Watts
Posted By: westtexgolfer

Re: Tungsten weights - 02/25/16 04:03 AM

I like the following and have never had any trouble with line fraying.

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Kanji_Senkin_X-Metal_Bullet_Weight/descpage-KJSBW.html
Posted By: lamoon78

Re: Tungsten weights - 02/25/16 04:48 AM

Warrior Tackle never a issue with these.
Posted By: Pine Mills Tracker

Re: Tungsten weights - 02/25/16 02:37 PM

Anglers Pro Tackle in North Richland Hills, you can view prices on their website. Headed their tomorrow to buy some for myself.
Posted By: Tristen

Re: Tungsten weights - 02/25/16 02:39 PM

Originally Posted By: PineMills Tracker
Anglers Pro Tackle in North Richland Hills, you can view prices on their website.

Shhhh.....
Posted By: nwest10

Re: Tungsten weights - 02/25/16 02:43 PM

Dominator Tungsten Weights. Great product and prices

http://dominatortungstenweights.com/
Posted By: Rudy Lackey

Re: Tungsten weights - 02/25/16 02:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Tristen
Originally Posted By: PineMills Tracker
Anglers Pro Tackle in North Richland Hills, you can view prices on their website.

Shhhh.....
Posted By: Joey Watts

Re: Tungsten weights - 02/25/16 02:54 PM

I have 3/4 and 1 oz weights in both worm and flipping weights. Have them both in Black and Green pumpkin.

http://www.flatlandscustomtackle.com/store/p44/Tungsten_Worm_Weights.html

http://www.flatlandscustomtackle.com/store/p47/Tungsten_Flipping_Weights.html
Posted By: LinkLowrance

Re: Tungsten weights - 02/25/16 03:04 PM

Don't cheap out on Tungsten. Picasso makes great weights
Posted By: BlaiseWeimer

Re: Tungsten weights - 02/25/16 03:45 PM

Tour Tungsten makes some great tungsten weights! tourtungsten.com
Posted By: TxRanger1

Re: Tungsten weights - 02/25/16 04:44 PM

Why Tungsten? It is a weight, simple job....sink to the bottom. Not being a smarty pants here, I really don't understand the value or the extra costs.
Posted By: catslayer

Re: Tungsten weights - 02/25/16 05:01 PM

Originally Posted By: TxRanger1
Why Tungsten? It is a weight, simple job....sink to the bottom. Not being a smarty pants here, I really don't understand the value or the extra costs.

you obviously haven't used them...

Smaller profile, tends to get more bites

Harder material, transfers vibrations up your line better increasing sensitivity.

With harder comes slicker... slicker plus smaller weight means the weight slips through the fish's lips easier so you don't have the use you sometimes have of a fish biting down on a led sinker and dramatically reducing the power of transferred in your hook set.

I'm not a "tree huger" I don't do it to keep lead out of the lake (I use lead c-rig and dropshot weights) I do it because you catch more fish using them.

If your worried about fraying look up tackle tour, the tackle doctor (Aaron martens) and look at how he puts inserts in them. I have started...

As for best place to buy... Anglers pro hands down

Posted By: Joey Watts

Re: Tungsten weights - 02/25/16 06:01 PM

Some of you guys kill me with one place having better tungsten than another place. Tungsten is Tungsten for the most part. Their are only a few places where any of us can even buy this stuff and none of it is made here in the United States. All of us get it and re-sell it from one of those few places and all of them are located in China. Believe a lot of you would be very surprised at how many of the big time Tungsten places that are being mentioned in this thread get it from the same place that mine comes from.

Re: Tungsten weights - 02/25/16 06:21 PM

I use the lead because it is softer and when a fish bites, their teeth sink in to the lead and they hold on to it easier. Sometimes I don't even use a hook because they get their teeth stuck in the lead.
Posted By: Huckleberry

Re: Tungsten weights - 02/25/16 06:30 PM

Originally Posted By: catslayer

Harder material, transfers vibrations up your line better increasing sensitivity.

With harder comes slicker... slicker plus smaller weight means the weight slips through the fish's lips easier so you don't have the use you sometimes have of a fish biting down on a led sinker and dramatically reducing the power of transferred in your hook set.

I'm not a "tree huger" I don't do it to keep lead out of the lake (I use lead c-rig and dropshot weights) I do it because you catch more fish using them.

If your worried about fraying look up tackle tour, the tackle doctor (Aaron martens) and look at how he puts inserts in them. I have started...

Yeah I'm with ya and agree on everything you said but you lost me with this part...."slicker plus smaller weight means the weight slips through the fish's lips easier so you don't have the use you sometimes have of a fish biting down on a led sinker and dramatically reducing the power of transferred in your hook set". hmmm
Posted By: El Skeeter

Re: Tungsten weights - 02/25/16 08:42 PM

Met a guy at the Southern Open on Toho he got his from
Jig Shack.
Posted By: catslayer

Re: Tungsten weights - 02/25/16 09:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Huckleberry
Originally Posted By: catslayer

Yeah I'm with ya and agree on everything you said but you lost me with this part...."slicker plus smaller weight means the weight slips through the fish's lips easier so you don't have the use you sometimes have of a fish biting down on a led sinker and dramatically reducing the power of transferred in your hook set". hmmm

Take a pair of pliers... go grab a 1/2 ounce lead weight on a trig and have your buddy set the hook from 20 yards out...

then do the same thing with a tungsten...

you'll understand immediately...

That slick hard deal keeps their little tiny teeth from "grabbing" the weight. So all the energy is transferred all the way to the hook and MOVES the hook.

They cant clamp down on the weight as well, so it "slips" in their mouth, a hook cant get sunk into flesh unless it moves in the fishes mouth. If they can "hold" the weight you just jerk the fish around little and they open their mouth and let go...

this is MUCH more pronounced in 3/4 and bigger weights

Re: Tungsten weights - 02/25/16 09:44 PM

It really doesn't matter to me what anyone uses or why they use it but I have never in my life seen such a sales job done on so many people as this. If you cant set the hook and get that little bitty weight out of the fishes mouth to get the hook in, maybe you should buy Wheaties rather than slick weights.
'It will help you catch more fish" was Jimmy Houston's big saying when he was selling on the TV fishing shows and a lot of people are still drinking the KoolAide I see.
Posted By: blackhorse

Re: Tungsten weights - 02/26/16 12:51 AM

awesome
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Tungsten weights - 02/26/16 01:09 AM

popcorn
Posted By: Trevor Gowin

Re: Tungsten weights - 02/26/16 01:10 AM

duel
Posted By: Troutnout

Re: Tungsten weights - 02/26/16 01:16 AM

Man I didn't realize I would start this.. Maybe I'll just import some in from China myself.... roflmao
Posted By: 361V

Re: Tungsten weights - 02/26/16 01:29 AM

Learning lots today!
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Tungsten weights - 02/26/16 01:41 AM

It really doesn't matter to me what anyone uses or why they use it but I have never in my life seen such a sales job done on so many people as this. If you cant set the hook and get that little bitty weight out of the fishes mouth to get the hook in, maybe you should buy Wheaties rather than slick weights.
'It will help you catch more fish" was Jimmy Houston's big saying when he was selling on the TV fishing shows and a lot of people are still drinking the KoolAide I see.

You sir are a fool! LOL. Don't you know you must have tungsten weights, 70k boat, power poles, 65" fish finders (4 of them), 20 rods, the ninja hood and chapstick to catch fish??? This is 2016 if you haven't heard. What do you think, your Grand Pa used to use a cane pole or what?

I was reading this and thinking the same thing about a fish biting a weight.
Posted By: fitter2259

Re: Tungsten weights - 02/26/16 02:32 AM

I keep hearing the argument for increased sensitivity mentioned when the subject of tungsten comes up. Personally I think your line plays the major roll in sensitivity being the direct connection to the hook and that anything that comes between your line and the hook has a deadening effect on sensitivity and not increasing it, no matter what the material make up would be. I do like tungsten on shorter, baits of 6 inches or less due to the fact that the smaller weight profiles smaller offerings better but on baits ranging from 8 to 12 inches I personally think the size advantage of tungsten is negligible. I am more concerned with the weights profile than I am its chemical makeup, tapered weights are a must for me in heavy matting or heavy timber.
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Tungsten weights - 02/26/16 02:42 AM

You're better off if you can keep the weight somewhat same color as bait. And yes, tungsten is a must.

Re: Tungsten weights - 02/26/16 01:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Bobby Milam

You sir are a fool! LOL. Don't you know you must have tungsten weights, 70k boat, power poles, 65" fish finders (4 of them), 20 rods, the ninja hood and chapstick to catch fish??? This is 2016 if you haven't heard. What do you think, your Grand Pa used to use a cane pole or what?

I was reading this and thinking the same thing about a fish biting a weight.

I stand corrected.
Posted By: Brad R

Re: Tungsten weights - 02/26/16 01:37 PM

Not that all weights are 100% pure tungsten or lead . . . I know some/most are not . . . but just looking at their densities gives us a clue.

Tungsten is 1.73 times heavier than lead, so a quarter (.25) ounce tungsten weight will be the same size as a .14 ounce lead weight.

So, all the other points aside, one big advantage I see is the fact that smaller weights tend to hang up much less frequently, at least that has been my experience . . . and certainly for bank fishermen.

I rarely hang up a weightless worm, and if I put a tiny split shot on the line above a worm to get it down a bit quicker, it increases the chances of hanging up just a bit more as I increase the size of the shot.

Same, for me, with bullet weights on T-Rigs: the smaller ones tend to pass through or over or around snags a bit better.

This definitely isn't a cost-benefit analysis where one would compare the increased costs of tungsten over lead to how much is then saved by losing less terminal tackle and baits, but it makes paying more for tungsten seem more reasonable, perhaps even at some sort of cost parity with lead in some cases.

One poster said he used lead for drop shots, tungsten for other applications and this sounds very reasonable to me. Pick your spots.

Brad
Posted By: kyleguest

Re: Tungsten weights - 02/26/16 02:15 PM

I've been trying to do some research on this subject as well. I just purchased some tungsten weights and I'm ready to try them out for myself. I don't think its necessarily about the tungsten being able to detect the bite. Rather its more beneficial for being able to feel the bottom contour you are fishing. With tungsten being slightly more dense, it (theoretically) should stay in contact with the bottom more.

Maybe this view pertains only to c-riggging. Just throwing my theory out there.
Posted By: 04champ

Re: Tungsten weights - 02/26/16 03:44 PM

Originally Posted By: kyleguest
I've been trying to do some research on this subject as well. I just purchased some tungsten weights and I'm ready to try them out for myself. I don't think its necessarily about the tungsten being able to detect the bite. Rather its more beneficial for being able to feel the bottom contour you are fishing. With tungsten being slightly more dense, it (theoretically) should stay in contact with the bottom more.

Maybe this view pertains only to c-riggging. Just throwing my theory out there.

I was just about to say this exact thing.

Between the decreased size of the weight and the increased ability to feel bottom composition and cover, it's a no brainer for me on c-rigs and Texas rigs and flipping
Posted By: coachallentca

Re: Tungsten weights - 02/26/16 04:44 PM

riveratackle.com he is local here in fort worth
Posted By: Sure Strike

Re: Tungsten weights - 02/26/16 05:31 PM

This is the place
http://dominatortungstenweights.com/
Posted By: joho5

Re: Tungsten weights - 02/26/16 08:05 PM

to the ones arguing against tungsten...thats silly and its simply because you havent used them. I am a super duper budget bass fisherman....BUT I still use tungsten. Once I started, I couldnt go back to lead. The biggest reason is the feel and sensitivity. The smaller profile is a plus to me, but you can feel so much more with tungsten. Call me crazy but when I fish soft plastics on the bottom, I like to get a feel as much as I possibly can of the bottom terrain and etc...
Posted By: bbassfishes

Re: Tungsten weights - 02/27/16 04:14 PM

I like how someone wanting to know where to get cheap tungsten turned into a dick measuring match.
Posted By: J-2

Re: Tungsten weights - 02/27/16 04:30 PM

Anglers Pro Tackle in NRH. high quality (97% i believe) and great prices on them.
Posted By: Michael Ray

Re: Tungsten weights - 02/27/16 05:29 PM

I buy mine from APT. I like them because after banging it around all day it still has it's paint on it unlike others I've tried.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum