Texas Fishing Forum

Is this line of thinking flawed or correct ?

Posted By: Frank the Tank

Is this line of thinking flawed or correct ? - 02/24/16 05:16 PM

With the wind out of North or Northwest for the last 2 days, the western and northwestern banks of a lake stand the best chance to have the cleanest water and a higher likelihood of holding fish rather than southern or eastern banks? Am I thinking right on this? Thank you
Posted By: Outdoordude

Re: Is this line of thinking flawed or correct ? - 02/24/16 05:20 PM

Make sense to me. The north ends of lakes tend to warm faster too, more direct sunlight than the southern ends.
Posted By: 04champ

Re: Is this line of thinking flawed or correct ? - 02/24/16 05:23 PM

sounds right to me
Posted By: Huckleberry

Re: Is this line of thinking flawed or correct ? - 02/24/16 05:23 PM

Nope
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Is this line of thinking flawed or correct ? - 02/24/16 05:38 PM

Those two arms of the lake will be the first to warm for sure but keep in mind that if they have lots of runoff from the creeks they could still be muddier than the other creeks.
For example, Glade was always clearer than Running Creek because it had less runoff coming into the lake from a major creek. At least that was my observation.
Posted By: Txmedic033

Re: Is this line of thinking flawed or correct ? - 02/24/16 06:55 PM

I would fish the wind blown banks since they will be more oxygenated, have more available baitfish, and the stained water warms up faster.
Posted By: Kidde

Re: Is this line of thinking flawed or correct ? - 02/24/16 07:04 PM

I ain't gonna lie, I just stay at home with a 25 mph NW wind blowing.
Posted By: SkeeterRonnie

Re: Is this line of thinking flawed or correct ? - 02/24/16 07:14 PM

Old wives tale. They do receive the most sunlight and protection from the North wind-- but doesn't mean they will hold fish better
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Is this line of thinking flawed or correct ? - 02/24/16 07:27 PM

When in doubt just sling a bait up on them. The fish will let you know pretty quickly if they are there.
Posted By: Nutman

Re: Is this line of thinking flawed or correct ? - 02/24/16 07:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Txmedic033
I would fish the wind blown banks since they will be more oxygenated, have more available baitfish, and the stained water warms up faster.

<<<< this >>>>
I was always taught to fish the wind blown sides for the 3 reasons above.
especially if the day I am fishing is after the wind has subsided somewhat.
Posted By: K.D.

Re: Is this line of thinking flawed or correct ? - 02/24/16 07:30 PM

Yep...like Ronnie and Mark mentioned...good place to start. They are either there or not.

Then you'll remember they didn't read the darn book!!
Posted By: GROD

Re: Is this line of thinking flawed or correct ? - 02/24/16 07:51 PM

Don't over think it... Just go fish.
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Is this line of thinking flawed or correct ? - 02/24/16 09:29 PM

You are thinking right on fishing the North end as long as there is plenty of shallow water to warm up near the backs of the coves. In most lakes this is where the muddy water will be coming in. As you leave the main lake and head north up the main river or large creeks that feed the lake look for coves off of that northern route that run to the west or as near west as possible. The back half of these coves will be a lot clearer.

Most of the time the wind is blowing out of the south east and will keep pushing the water that has warmed up back into the cove. Any north winds that come with a front will not affect these coves as much and makes it more difficult to push the warm surface water out of the cove.

On big lakes there can be as much as 5 degrees difference in surface water temp. from a cove down by the dam and one up North that runs to the West. A dog leg cove that breaks to the South is even better.
Posted By: Rudy Lackey

Re: Is this line of thinking flawed or correct ? - 02/24/16 09:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Donald Harper
You are thinking right on fishing the North end as long as there is plenty of shallow water to warm up near the backs of the coves. In most lakes this is where the muddy water will be coming in. As you leave the main lake and head north up the main river or large creeks that feed the lake look for coves off of that northern route that run to the west or as near west as possible. The back half of these coves will be a lot clearer.

Most of the time the wind is blowing out of the south east and will keep pushing the water that has warmed up back into the cove. Any north winds that come with a front will not affect these coves as much and makes it more difficult to push the warm surface water out of the cove.

On big lakes there can be as much as 5 degrees difference in surface water temp. from a cove down by the dam and one up North that runs to the West. A dog leg cove that breaks to the South is even better.

Take that to tha bank....
Posted By: timwins31

Re: Is this line of thinking flawed or correct ? - 02/24/16 10:32 PM

Depends on how much the water has cooled down. If it's in the lower 50s I'd rather fish the churned up water over the clearer stuff. Then again if the inflows for the lake are on the north end then it could be a great area.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum