Texas Fishing Forum

yamaha ring free

Posted By: largemouthokie

yamaha ring free - 02/24/16 12:59 PM

Is it OK to use ring free in a Mercury 250 optimax if I am out of Quick Kleen?
Posted By: DEFMP

Re: yamaha ring free - 02/24/16 01:07 PM

I don't see why not, it's made to serve the same purpose.
Posted By: UTDmiller

Re: yamaha ring free - 02/24/16 01:29 PM

Yeah, i was under the impression it is just a high $ fuel injector cleaner/fuel additive. But i would try and ask a Merc mechanic to make sure
Posted By: LinkLowrance

Re: yamaha ring free - 02/24/16 02:09 PM

I use it every fill up in my Merc. Good stuff
Posted By: Spiderman

Re: yamaha ring free - 02/24/16 02:35 PM

I have an Evinrude 150 and have used it for years, price sure has gone up over time. It was $12.00 a quart when i started buying it, last I bought was $46.50.

I add 1 ounce to 10 gallons for maintenance, use it in mowers, weed eaters, & leaf blowers too, any small engines.

Posted By: JoshMan734

Re: yamaha ring free - 02/24/16 02:39 PM

My champs partner uses ringfree on his merc! All he has ever used!
Posted By: T Bird

Re: yamaha ring free - 02/24/16 02:51 PM

Never! Using Yamaha products in an Opti leads to the formation of severe and often fatal 4 stroke admorralities. frkazoid
Posted By: gary purdy

Re: yamaha ring free - 02/24/16 03:02 PM

TEST RESULTS

RELATIVE EFFICIENCIES AT WHICH VARIOUS CLEANERS WILL DISSOLVE HIGH BOILING RESIDUES FROM GASOLINE AND CARBONACEOUS DEPOSITS FOUND IN USED MOTOR OIL, (10=BEST):

· 10 Gunk Gas Treatment
· 10 Toluene (a common ingredient)
· 9 Castrol Syntec Power System
· 8 Duralube Fuel System Cleaner
· 7 Gunk Fuel Injector Cleaner
· 6 Redline SI-1
· 5 Gunk Air Intake Cleaner
· 4 Naphtha (a common ingredient)
· 4 STP Fuel System Cleaner
· 4 Seafoam Motor Tuneup
· 4 Trak Fuel Injector Cleaner
· 4 STP Intake Valve Cleaner
· 4 CD-2 Emission Cure
· 4 Prolong Fuel System Treatment
· 3 CD-2 Fuel Injector Cleaner
· 3 Techron Concentrate
· 0.5 Butyl Cellosolve (a COMMONLY used "AUTO INDUSTRY DETERGENT" for oil and grease)
Ring free is Techron I prefer Sea Foam being readily available and less expensive.
Posted By: rxkid2001

Re: yamaha ring free - 02/24/16 03:11 PM

If you are under warranty still I wouldn't.
Posted By: Kay Dyson

Re: yamaha ring free - 02/24/16 03:28 PM

Originally Posted By: gary purdy
TEST RESULTS

RELATIVE EFFICIENCIES AT WHICH VARIOUS CLEANERS WILL DISSOLVE HIGH BOILING RESIDUES FROM GASOLINE AND CARBONACEOUS DEPOSITS FOUND IN USED MOTOR OIL, (10=BEST):

· 10 Gunk Gas Treatment
· 6 Redline SI-1
· 4 Seafoam Motor Tuneup
· 4 CD-2 Emission Cure
· 3 Techron Concentrate
· 0.5 Butyl Cellosolve (a COMMONLY used "AUTO INDUSTRY DETERGENT" for oil and grease)
Ring free is Techron I prefer Sea Foam being readily available and less expensive.

I use ringfree as a maintenance lubricant for the valves, rings and cylinders.. I really didn't think to much about the injectors, however I do use seafoam every 2-3 months for that specific purpose.. Are you saying there is something better ? where did you get those numbers Gary ? just curious.. grin
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: yamaha ring free - 02/24/16 03:38 PM

Originally Posted By: gary purdy
TEST RESULTS

· 10 Gunk Gas Treatment
· 6 Redline SI-1
· 4 Seafoam Motor Tuneup
· 4 CD-2 Emission Cure
· 3 Techron Concentrate

So we should use Gunk Gas Treatment instead of Seafoam?
Posted By: Tommy Yetts

Re: yamaha ring free - 02/25/16 03:37 PM

Guys this is just my opinion! Yamaha Ring Free can be used in any outboard motor without any issues.

Here is where the eyebrows will raise! I'm not an advocate for using any non OEM product for treating fuel or carbon build up in our outboard motors. I know people have and will continue to use products like Sea Foam in the gas. Here is my concern about automotive type treatments in our outboard motors. Reading on the labels of these aftermarket treatments say they are good for gas powered, diesel powered, two stroke, four stroke and just about any kind of fuel supplied motor. My point being is they are not specific to a TCWIII or four stroke outboard motors. That said they seem to be a snake oil to solve all your problems. My concern is, especially in two stroke motors, I'm concerned about the possibility of oil dilution from non OEM additives. You know what will happen if this does occur.

That said I'm not condemning any of these products just wanting to share my thoughts. Motor repair has gotten extremely costly these days and I would hate to know that my motor failed due to an aftermarket additive.
Posted By: westtexgolfer

Re: yamaha ring free - 02/25/16 04:02 PM

Tommy, I have always used ringfree since owning a yamaha outboard but I also usually run a can of Marine Seafoam once a year... Just out of curiosity is there anything in the Marine version you have concern with? I never thought about what you stated above.
Posted By: SC-001

Re: yamaha ring free - 02/25/16 04:09 PM

The motor guy over on BBC says absolutely do not use ring free in optimax motors, but he may be paid to say so, I'm no marine motor expert but I've never heard of anyone having problems using ring free in a merc.
Posted By: texasbassdude

Re: yamaha ring free - 02/25/16 08:59 PM

I have a Yamaha motor and Ring Free has been great. Of course, it's the OEM product. My motor used to hesitate and back-off a couple of times when I got on plane. After a "detox" and regularly using good gas and Ring Free, it's all been good (so far). As far as the "good gas" part goes, I was told that the Techron that Chevron puts in their gas helps boat motors handle the ethanol. I'm not a chemist and not going to debate anything, only that the Ring Free and Chevron gas have made a very noticeable impact. I was told that Shell was usually good gas too and I use Shell when I can't find Chevron. Luckily, even Zapata has a Chevron wink
Posted By: txmasterpo

Re: yamaha ring free - 02/26/16 12:10 AM

I buy Chevron gas (techron) and use sea foam every tank (8 ounces per 16 gallons)......12 years (my Merc is 19 years old).... Runs like a scalded dog.....
Posted By: blackhorse

Re: yamaha ring free - 02/26/16 12:47 AM

19 yrs of ring free and ProV150 still strong, just wished it worked on my stents!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum