Texas Fishing Forum

Please help me with my new package design for Wave Away

Posted By: Wave Away

Please help me with my new package design for Wave Away - 02/23/16 03:43 PM

I started Wave Away Sonar/GPS Screen Cleaning Kits about 6 years ago. I've gone through a couple package design revisions over the years. I feel really blessed to have our product in most of the box stores like Bass Pro Shops, Cabela's, West Marine. We also have it in a bunch of great independent stores. Getting a product into the stores is a big step but having people take notice then buy it can be a challenge.

I'm a tournament bass fisherman and full time construction guy so package design and marketing doesn't necessarily come natural for me. I'm interested in revamping my package design and would love the advice of you guys/gals. I've included an image of the current Wave Away kit/box. What changes do you think I should make? Should I make the box red or a more striking color? Should I add a "catch phrase"? All advice would be appreciated and I'll be sure to drop some Wave Away Sonar/GPS Screen Cleaning Kits in the mail for the folks that give me the most useful advice.

Thank you!

Chris Lambert
Wave Away

Posted By: Rhino68W

Re: Please help me with my new package design for Wave Away - 02/23/16 03:48 PM

For some reason the "cool" or "sleek" looking designs always grab my attention. Dark colors with some bright accents and not a lot going on in the front.

Think of it from a 25 y/o's point of view. We like cool looking stuff for some reason. I'd much rather buy a redbull than a QT brand energy drink.
Posted By: KickerFish29

Re: Please help me with my new package design for Wave Away - 02/23/16 04:09 PM

I'd lose the light blue and yellow to me it looks a box that would say "as seen on TV" on it and I probably wouldn't even give it a second look. I'd maybe replace the blues with some blacks and greys and replace the yellow with lime green or some blaze orange make it pop.
Posted By: BAMABASS

Re: Please help me with my new package design for Wave Away - 02/23/16 04:17 PM

I agree with Rhino. The new bright colors would appeal to the younger generatoin and get the attention of the older
customers. I like that it comes with a towel and a bag for storage, good marketing.. Good luck in which ever design you choose.
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Please help me with my new package design for Wave Away - 02/23/16 05:01 PM

To me the biggest problem isn't the box, it's where you're selling it. I don't go to Bass Pro, Cabelas or Academy to buy screen cleaner, I go to buy lures, etc... You need to hit the web like you're doing right now. There's a lot of forums out there that have electronics boards in them, you need to pound those. Nobody's going to let you pound for free though, they're gonna want your $$$ as a sponsor.

Tough call, stick with the box stores where you might sell a few or pound the Internet where most people are buying these days. You can do a poll here and 10x more people buy from the 'net than they do from tackle shops.
Posted By: TroyKing

Re: Please help me with my new package design for Wave Away - 02/23/16 05:16 PM

Make it look as much like KVD's colors and you should be set...grin.
Posted By: Slide_R

Re: Please help me with my new package design for Wave Away - 02/23/16 05:48 PM

I see too many words and not enough image to sell the product. Also I agree that at its present look and feel I see "as seen on TV".
Posted By: JMac-D

Re: Please help me with my new package design for Wave Away - 02/23/16 05:52 PM

Less is more IMO, current box is kind of tacky looking. What does the back look like?
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Please help me with my new package design for Wave Away - 02/23/16 05:54 PM

You have a blue label on the bottle, a blue towel, and a blue bag, so don't make the box with so much blue on it. Add some black, reds or oranges to the box.
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Please help me with my new package design for Wave Away - 02/23/16 06:40 PM

Have never seen it before so it must not be standing out. Need to be able to see it pop on the display and grab my attention telling me what it is.

I'd go red with larger letters on the donar dcreen clesning words. I don't really need the picture so large as that doesn't tell me what it is.

Make some designs that pop more then print them on paper and take them to the store and hang them then walk back and see which one granted your attention from a distance or use a small focus group.

If I had known that it existed, I would have bought it.
Posted By: gatoreyes

Re: Please help me with my new package design for Wave Away - 02/23/16 06:42 PM

Chris,

It looks like it is targeted toward fresh water sonars. What about the saltwater sonar market? Make the sonar pictures bigger. Also, the towel and bag in that position look like a beanie hat.
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Please help me with my new package design for Wave Away - 02/23/16 06:46 PM

Lol, the guy is advertising as we speak. Question is... How many of you would buy this product?
Posted By: bogey♂

Re: Please help me with my new package design for Wave Away - 02/23/16 06:48 PM

Maybe a before and after picture. I think that would sell itself.
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Please help me with my new package design for Wave Away - 02/23/16 06:53 PM

First of all I love the product and am out so I could use a bump. The product is great. These people are hard to work with; but my suggestion is build displays and see if you can get it on a stand alone display and not on the shelf with a bunch of other stuff. On the end cap is a great place to have a display if they want let you do a stand alone. I see people using the monitor systems all the time to look at a short video that is running a new product. Just touch the screen and it starts over from the beginning.

Thanks for offering free product we can use it.
Posted By: Fork Fanatic

Re: Please help me with my new package design for Wave Away - 02/23/16 07:29 PM

I bought my Wave Away at Tackle Warehouse about 2 years ago and it works great. My suggestion would be to change the colors on the box to a red/ black design and put your 3 Elite Anglers on the front of the box and make them very visible. Your product works great it just seems like the blue color on the packaging doesn't jump out at you and get noticed. I tried several cleaners and this is the best one I've ever used.

Re: Please help me with my new package design for Wave Away - 02/23/16 10:33 PM

Thanks for all the advice so far. Keep it coming!....Chris
Posted By: slim 285

Re: Please help me with my new package design for Wave Away - 02/24/16 12:40 AM

Make the box Chartreuse in color . That will catch ever bass fisherman's eye.
Posted By: KickerFish29

Re: Please help me with my new package design for Wave Away - 02/24/16 02:20 AM

Originally Posted By: Wave Away
Thanks for all the advice so far. Keep it coming!....Chris

So when should I expect my cleaning kit in the mail lol ?
Posted By: High wide and heavy

Re: Please help me with my new package design for Wave Away - 02/24/16 02:35 AM

Image! Show a bass fisherman in his boat using the product
Posted By: chickenfried76

Re: Please help me with my new package design for Wave Away - 02/24/16 02:54 AM

two questions:

How much does this cost?

How is it different from the vinegar based Windex that Humminbird recommends?
Posted By: backatit

Re: Please help me with my new package design for Wave Away - 02/24/16 03:33 AM

Delete the "sonar and GPS 2.7" means nothing to most buyers they need screen cleaner. Delete the approved logo from the front move it to the top or back to be seen when a buyer picks it up to observe the product. This will allow you to dip the yellow swoosh and enlarge the "Wave away" logo and "screen cleaning kit" fonts along with the pictures. although you are working with mm a little is a lot. By reference of graphs pictures a buyer knows what screens you are advertising it cleans, but I like the other references at the bottom.
As for colors I am not sure how you get away from the Blues? The Wave Away logo fits as blue. Maybe play with the yellow to lean a little more to yellow/orange and fade the light blue a touch closer to white? Maybe change the cap on the bottle to yellow so bottle is not so washed out? Again subtle changes make a difference in look. That is my .02 Hope it helps
P.S. I turned a group of guys on to this years ago and all think it is the best thing going. Good luck
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Please help me with my new package design for Wave Away - 02/24/16 04:16 AM

Here is a good example

The first was the original packaging and the second is what they went to so it would stand out on the aisle. Imagine the difference from 10-15' away

Re: Please help me with my new package design for Wave Away - 02/24/16 05:05 AM

The funny thing is right before I saw your post I asked my graphics guy to give me a design with flat gray, flat black and lime green. I'll post some pics of the proof when I have it in a few days.....good idea!

Re: Please help me with my new package design for Wave Away - 02/24/16 05:08 AM

I'm a huge fan of the TV Show Shark Tank too. I was thinking of this exact product while racking my brain about my own package revision.

Re: Please help me with my new package design for Wave Away - 02/24/16 05:13 AM

Thanks for the question. I've never used the vinegar based Windex. I can say that I've never had a bad review about our cleaning solution. A good attribute that Wave Away has that I assume Windex doesn't have is that Wave Away is a no drip solution. It works really well on Sonar Units with water spots that are "baked on by the sun". I normally spray a little on my sonar screens and let it sit for a few minutes before wiping off.

Our 1.5 sized kit retails for $9.99 and the 2.7 sells for $14.95. Each kit comes with a bottle (either 1.5 or 2.7 ounces), a soft cleaning cloth and a drawstring bag to keep it all together.

-Chris
Posted By: brennansgrandpa

Re: Please help me with my new package design for Wave Away - 02/24/16 12:51 PM

Chris, I think you might have over designed it a bit. If it was 2 smaller bottles with a smaller cloth between them on a peggable card, or just one bottle and the cloth it could be out posted on a clip strip, shown with the marine electronics or displayed on a power panel/sidekick. The packaging speaks to it being a big item in my view. In retail space is money. I do not think you need to develop a PDQ, that is just going to drive your costs up.

Tom
Posted By: Lowly Net Boy

Re: Please help me with my new package design for Wave Away - 02/24/16 02:06 PM

I have bad eyes, my glasses are dirty, and I have a small iphone so the picture is really too small for me to make an opinion on
With that said I would need several samples before I could make a decision.

Seriously though Im a firm believer if it aint broke dont fix it, I like the colors, layout, direct and to the point if the sales are not up to your standards look at where its located in the store, one of the best places to be is by the checkout line, impulse buy .
Remember location location location is everything
Posted By: Outdoordude

Re: Please help me with my new package design for Wave Away - 02/24/16 03:21 PM

Honestly I think it looks great like it is, and I'm considered a "millennial."

Have you ever considered going to a half labeled half transparent box? With your flat black and lime green configuration it would look really cool to have a dark upper box with bright lettering that cuts to a transparent (or at least what appears to be transparent) section at the bottom of the box where your bottles, with the sonar units and the pros behind them jumping out at you, are visible. I have always thought that Meguiar's car wax kits' packaging were works of art (see picture below). And, not gonna lie, I bought theirs first because the packaging looked so much better than the others next to it. I like transparent packaging because you can see the size of the bottles, that it comes with a rag and a bag, and you don't have to read anything = less text needed on the box. I think if you just had "Sonar Screen Cleaner" in the largest letters the box will allow up top in bright lime green over that flat black, with your Wave Away logo in the top left popping out of the wave design like you already have on your current box, with a seemingly-transparent bottom section where people can see everything in the package, and all your text and pro's quotes on the back, you'd have a really sharp looking package that catches attention and lets people see the contents without ripping the box open.

Re: Please help me with my new package design for Wave Away - 03/10/16 04:04 PM

Thanks for the input. I had already been leaning towards a cleaner look. What do you all think about the package proof below? I'm not really sold on it so feel free to be really honest. Thanks....Chris

Posted By: Slide_R

Re: Please help me with my new package design for Wave Away - 03/10/16 05:00 PM

I do not use code scanners so it seems way too prominent on your packaging. Why do I need more information about your product if I have it in my hand? The "works great on sunglasses" is useful info (already located on the packaging) but again it screams of "as seen on TV" marketing. The grey master background is pretty dull, try one of the blues from your logo. 2.7 oz. proudly displayed - translated - about enough for three cleanings and I am out. Likely not a buyer of your product but packaging would not encourage me to become one.

Re: Please help me with my new package design for Wave Away - 03/10/16 06:04 PM

Good input. The 2.7 size actually has about 500 sprays (probably around 200 cleanings). That's listed on the back of the box but maybe it should be up front.
Posted By: bronco71

Re: Please help me with my new package design for Wave Away - 03/10/16 06:41 PM

I like the original label on the bottle, I believe it should be on the front of the box....and the box front on the bottle, lose the 2.7, it really means nothing and might make it seem as if it only works on certain units, small and may not last long or may be a newer version coming out. Definetly want to see the number of uses instead of the size.

I like the original colors more than the new scheme, maybe add black and red to original to make it pop.

Try to get stores to display with the sonar/electronic units and not with cleaning supplies.
Posted By: plasma800

Re: Please help me with my new package design for Wave Away - 03/10/16 06:55 PM

Another opinion... instead of spending time and money on paper redesign and production, I feel that I would prefer to sink that money into online blitzing to raise awareness of the product.

For instance, did you know that you can target an ad on Facebook to every single person who "likes" bass pro shop? Or the wife of every man that "likes" bass pro shop?

Or every person that likes "lowrance" or "hummingbird", or every person who "likes" skeeter, or ranger, or fishing in general?

Light competition in this space means very very very cheap ads that could positively begin to influence and invade the minds of fisherman and women. And all it has to do is tell them to go buy it at bass pro.

Matter of fact, you can narrow further to only areas specifically within a specified range of a retail outlet.

I think the box looks good, I wouldn't fiddle with it. I would advertise it like crazy. Like a mad man. Any questions, PM me
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum