Texas Fishing Forum

Garmin GPS coordinates?

Posted By: Dbranch3

Garmin GPS coordinates? - 02/16/16 10:38 PM

I got some coordinates from google earth that I wanted to try and fish, but when I manually put coordinates in gps they seemed to be off, some was even showing on land, could it be I have wrong setting on gps? I know there are a couple of different types of coordinates used, anyone know what I should have my settings on gps set for to match google earth?
Thanks for the help
Posted By: 206champion

Re: Garmin GPS coordinates? - 02/16/16 10:53 PM

You will have to have them formated to fit your garmin , find out what format you need and then you can go online and convert it to your garmin format and then put it in your unit manually or with a sd card if it uses one.
Posted By: Skeeterbrain

Re: Garmin GPS coordinates? - 02/16/16 10:59 PM

Google Earth files are .klm files. You will have to convert them to .gpx files.
gpsbable is what I use.
Posted By: Rob Lay

Re: Garmin GPS coordinates? - 02/16/16 11:59 PM

one of two ways, I have done both lately.

1) Garmin's waypoint coordinates when manually entering are 99.999999 or similar, there are no online conversion tools using this format I could find, so i had to manually figure the minutes etc and convert them to the Garmin format.

2) Simply save My Places with your waypoints (tracks work too) in Google Earth in the KML/KMZ format, then use gpsvisualizer.com to convert that to GPX.

Waypoints work perfect, Garmin is really bad about wanting to connect track segment ends though.
Posted By: Mike2718

Re: Garmin GPS coordinates? - 02/17/16 02:55 AM

You can also download Ride Leader by Trail Tech(it's free). It will open gpx and Google Earth(kml) files. Save your Google Earth file as a kml and NOT kmz file. Open this file with Ride Leader then just save it in gpx format. When you open the file with Ride Leader you can see your points and trails in Google Earth within the Ride Leader software. Ride Leader works with track segments too.
Posted By: Dbranch3

Re: Garmin GPS coordinates? - 02/17/16 03:51 AM

Thanks guys I think I got it, once you convert it is it pretty accurate, what I am marking is stumps and brush so not really big targets?
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum