Texas Fishing Forum

Palestine Hazards

Posted By: texasfisherman1

Palestine Hazards - 02/16/16 09:47 PM

I have never been on Palestine before, and I plan on launching at the villages. If I wanted to go north (kickapoo, neches . . .) would I need to idle, or would there open areas to run on plane? Thanks
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: Palestine Hazards - 02/16/16 09:57 PM

Search for info on here. Multiple topics on this the past couple years.
Posted By: hookedon

Re: Palestine Hazards - 02/16/16 10:00 PM

If you have never been I would suggest you idle all the way unless you want something torn up
Posted By: coachmas

Re: Palestine Hazards - 02/16/16 10:00 PM

Launch, move to the side and get in line to follow the other 90% of the boats. Seriously, you don't have to idle from the villages, but you do need to be careful in certain areas and then idle when necessary. Coach
Posted By: TBassYates

Re: Palestine Hazards - 02/16/16 10:25 PM

A lot of these lakes like Palestine were a lot easier to run 20 + years ago. You had a lot of the timber out of the water so you could see lanes you could run in. Now days I am seeing area's were it is a lot harder to run because you only see a small portion of the stumps. I wonder if when the water levels were down it caused them to break off. I know if you see a stump at Palestine up north there are a lot more under the water so be careful.
Posted By: Jason Burton Guide Service

Re: Palestine Hazards - 02/16/16 11:59 PM

Lots of places to tear your boat up north of the villages. Unless your following someone who knows where they are going I would recommend idle speed.

Re: Palestine Hazards - 02/17/16 12:21 AM

Thanks for the advice guys! Sounds like I'll be idling unless a knowledgeable boat driver comes by.
Posted By: breauxmule

Re: Palestine Hazards - 02/17/16 12:35 AM

Sandbars will get you to those points go along way out
Posted By: Chris_K

Re: Palestine Hazards - 02/17/16 01:37 AM

From what I've read, lake Palestine as a whole is a hazzard hammer
Posted By: Tom Mayne Fishing Guide Lanes

Re: Palestine Hazards - 02/17/16 01:51 AM

If you have never been up north you need to idle. There are a ton of guys running some very dangerous areas that will eventually get them especially when it drops a foot if not before. Running the east bank is your best bet if your heading north from the Villages but there is a few areas that you have to dodge sand bars or stumps. Let me know if you have any questions. Be careful and good luck fishing!
Posted By: Tom Mayne Fishing Guide Lanes

Re: Palestine Hazards - 02/17/16 02:18 AM

This sand bar has been getting boats left and right. This sand bar is the one on the east bank a little ways before the powerlines. Its just before the last point you go around before you see the powerlines near Westberry (Russels) Landing.
Posted By: hookedon

Re: Palestine Hazards - 02/17/16 02:20 AM

Originally Posted By: Tom Mayne Guide Service
If you have never been up north you need to idle. There are a ton of guys running some very dangerous areas that will eventually get them especially when it drops a foot if not before. Running the east bank is your best bet if your heading north from the Villages but there is a few areas that you have to dodge sand bars or stumps. Let me know if you have any questions. Be careful and good luck fishing!

Listen to this guy! As I said if you've never ran it then idle. Don't listen to others and only follow someone you trust. Good luck
Posted By: skeeterfan

Re: Palestine Hazards - 02/17/16 02:38 AM

Not an expert on Palestine but listen to the Guide. Palestine can be deceptive. Even South of the Villages and South of Hwy 155 is not free of underwater surprises.
Posted By: breauxmule

Re: Palestine Hazards - 02/17/16 04:18 PM

It got me one night, took about 2 hours of pushing and pulling thank God it was warm!

Re: Palestine Hazards - 02/17/16 05:04 PM

Thanks for advice! I'll be sure to watch for sand bars and that one in particular.
Posted By: TDR2

Re: Palestine Hazards - 02/17/16 05:59 PM

Definitely full of dangers. I roll over a stump and it lodged itself up in my jack plate spacing. Pretty fun
Posted By: Hobbs McAvoy

Re: Palestine Hazards - 02/17/16 08:18 PM

Just launch at Westberry ($5) and idle north to the Neches or follow the power lines to Kickapoo. Running from the Villages to Westberry is asking for trouble. Don't be fooled by the way it looks and make sure if you follow someone they know where they are going. I have run it for years and still pucker up.
Posted By: Nutman

Re: Palestine Hazards - 02/17/16 08:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Hobbs McAvoy
Just launch at Westberry ($5) and idle north to the Neches or follow the power lines to Kickapoo. Running from the Villages to Westberry is asking for trouble. Don't be fooled by the way it looks and make sure if you follow someone they know where they are going. I have run it for years and still pucker up.

Kinda hard to do if your tournament is launching at the Villages and there is a no trailing clause in the rules.
Posted By: Hobbs McAvoy

Re: Palestine Hazards - 02/17/16 08:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Nutman
Originally Posted By: Hobbs McAvoy

Kinda hard to do if your tournament is launching at the Villages and there is a no trailing clause in the rules.

Oh!! Then it's easy. Follow all the other boats!
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum