Texas Fishing Forum

Presentations for rock and rip rap?

Posted By: BeardedBanker

Presentations for rock and rip rap? - 02/12/16 09:16 PM

What other presentations are there other than cranking? Seems like any slow presentations would get hung up easily.
Posted By: bogey♂

Re: Presentations for rock and rip rap? - 02/12/16 09:42 PM

If you're not getting hung up, you're not fishing where the fish live.

I fish a T-rig, drop shot and jig. You just have to be prepared to lose some and learn how to feel the snags and learn a couple of tricks to freeing the stuck rig. I call it a bow and arrow method. You hold the line in your off hand and put a bend in your rod and then let the line go with a little jerk upward on your rod hand. Hope this made a little bit of sense.
Posted By: TxFisherman03

Re: Presentations for rock and rip rap? - 02/12/16 09:48 PM

Football head jig. Tx-Rig. Drop-Shot, Shaky Football-Head,C-Rig , suspending - Jerkbait, weightless fluke, and many, many others.
Posted By: Texascajun69

Re: Presentations for rock and rip rap? - 02/12/16 10:03 PM

Years ago I asked Tom Mann this question as I had a tournament on Lake Eufaula and was planning on running to the dam. He said he would throw a 7" culprit red shad worm on the lightest slip sinker he owned and let it flutter down the rocks. When I asked what he meant by smallest he said 1/16 oz. is heavy. I did what he said and finished 2nd in the tournament. I did hang up in the rocks but it was rare. The small slip sinker would come between most of the cracks and didn't plunge straight down.

Sad to say I was not smart enough to keep following his advice and went heavier. Now I lose a lot of baits. I would say fish as light a sinker or jig as you can matching the wind and water depth.
Posted By: Thad Rains

Re: Presentations for rock and rip rap? - 02/19/16 05:03 AM

What's wrong with CRANKING, LOL??????? Some other presentations include spinnerbaits, topwater and DEEP DIVING CB's thrown shallow (get you a lure retriever to help get them back). The spinnerbaits can be fished slow or fast and get some bites. If you have any of the old Ledgebuster SBs, slow rolling them during the summer can be deadly! I like throwing a topwater, as well. Right now, a buzzbait might work, but in the summer, I like throwing a popper with great affect. Hope this helps. Tight lines, keep safe and good luck.

Thad Rains
Posted By: west tex angler

Re: Presentations for rock and rip rap? - 02/19/16 12:20 PM

without a doubt, A-rig!
Posted By: DustyHartOutdoors

Re: Presentations for rock and rip rap? - 02/19/16 02:50 PM

Shakey Head, if you keep it moving it will not hang up as much.
Posted By: musiclife_7

Re: Presentations for rock and rip rap? - 02/19/16 02:55 PM

JERK BAIT SLOW
Posted By: Chris Borden

Re: Presentations for rock and rip rap? - 02/19/16 03:03 PM

Second the arig!
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Presentations for rock and rip rap? - 02/19/16 05:46 PM

Chatterbaits bouncing off the rocks, and Spinnerbaits are pretty good on rip raps, I go with white on both lures
Posted By: Brad R

Re: Presentations for rock and rip rap? - 02/19/16 05:58 PM

One plastic bait I have been using a bit . . . and it rarely hangs up, is a Fat Ika rigged either traditionally through its nose or, as some do, through its skirt. If you need it to get down a bit quicker, a very tiny split shot does the trick.

I suppose weightless plastics, just in general, don't hang up like some other weighted presentations, and the Fat Ika seems even less prone to do so.

Brad
Posted By: Bass Buster1

Re: Presentations for rock and rip rap? - 02/19/16 06:44 PM

Shakey head, crankbait bouncing off the rocks, YM over the rocks. Fishing parallel is key to me!
Posted By: Nutman

Re: Presentations for rock and rip rap? - 02/19/16 07:09 PM

1/4 oz Roadrunners with Mann's 3" black n sliver minnow.
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Presentations for rock and rip rap? - 02/19/16 11:22 PM

I always check each end of the Dam and bridges where the rip rap ends. This has been a big fish hole on many of the lakes that I have fished. All the big fish have come on a Football Jig in Feb.. Fishing parallel with that line of where the rocks meets the mud will definitely pay off. They really like the rocks that form a L, which is a straight line of rocks at the end of the rip rap leading to deep water then straight down the road or dam.
Posted By: WmSmith

Re: Presentations for rock and rip rap? - 02/22/16 12:49 AM

Can't go wrong fishing rip rap and a swim bait. Very natural presentation
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum