Texas Fishing Forum

TFO 7'3 Heavy Question

Posted By: rkd

TFO 7'3 Heavy Question - 02/12/16 02:07 PM

Skeeter Owners rod this year is the 7'3 Heavy at great price of $50. I got the 7'3 MH last year and it leaned more towards Medium. Sensitivity is average to good but at full price (around $160) I like other rods better. I need a new CR and light football jig rod and the 7'3 length is around what I have in mind. Has anyone fished with the TFO HEAVY and if yes, what are your thoughts? Is it a true HEAVY action? Hard to pass up at $50.
Posted By: mikey6345

Re: TFO 7'3 Heavy Question - 02/12/16 03:21 PM

I have several TFO MH and one H in the rod you are asking about. I love all of them. I use the H for frogs and jogs mostly. I don't really know how it compares to other heavy action rods though. Hey if you dont want it get it and I will give you $50 for it. smile
Posted By: timwins31

Re: TFO 7'3 Heavy Question - 02/12/16 03:29 PM

http://www.tackledirect.com/temple-fork-gts-c736-1-gary-loomis-tactical-series-bass-casting-rod.html

I have this rod. It's definitely a true heavy. I've been using it to flip a jig this winter, usually a 1/2oz to 3/4oz one. It would work great for what you want, it's parabolic bend it like most c rig rods anyway, it has about a foot or 18 inches of tip and then it's all backbone. I'd say it's above average on sensitivity, not amazing but good for sure. And it's light.

I'd buy 2 at $50. . .
Posted By: pinesaddict

Re: TFO 7'3 Heavy Question - 02/12/16 11:36 PM

Probably one of my favorite rods.
Posted By: txmasterpo

Re: TFO 7'3 Heavy Question - 02/13/16 02:13 AM

I have 10 of them.....paid $50-100 for all of them.....use my heavy for jig, c rig, frog.....got a fast tip but plenty of backbone
Posted By: 8upwithfishin'

Re: TFO 7'3 Heavy Question - 02/18/16 12:28 AM

So this would make a great c-rig rod? Thx.
Posted By: catslayer

Re: TFO 7'3 Heavy Question - 02/18/16 02:56 PM

Originally Posted By: rkd
Skeeter Owners rod this year is the 7'3 Heavy at great price of $50. I got the 7'3 MH last year and it leaned more towards Medium. Sensitivity is average to good but at full price (around $160) I like other rods better. I need a new CR and light football jig rod and the 7'3 length is around what I have in mind. Has anyone fished with the TFO HEAVY and if yes, what are your thoughts? Is it a true HEAVY action? Hard to pass up at $50.

I have the tactical series... The heavy is what I use to flip big jigs (3-1.5 ounce) and heavy flippn rigs... Honestly its too heavy for the c rig in my opinion... I have 2 of the med-heavy and one medium... I use the med heavy for c-rig

sounds like you got the not tactical series, I know nothing about them
Posted By: txmasterpo

Re: TFO 7'3 Heavy Question - 02/18/16 03:26 PM

If he has a Skeeter rod it is the Tactical series
Posted By: rkd

Re: TFO 7'3 Heavy Question - 02/18/16 04:12 PM

Definitely bought at the Skeeter tournament. Didn't see "Tactical" on the label. It's too "lite" to throw a 1 oz jig or CR....too much flex in the last 1/3 of the rod.(closest to the tip) I've even thrown a chatterbait on it as that seems more inline with the action of the rod. I definitely want a heavier action, and longer than 7ft, for CR's and flipping jigs. The Skeeter brochure doesn't say "Tactical" so I'm not clear on that.
Posted By: Lil' Louie

Re: TFO 7'3 Heavy Question - 02/18/16 08:31 PM

I've got one and nuttin to compare it to but I would compare it to a telephone pole! Works good..
Posted By: timwins31

Re: TFO 7'3 Heavy Question - 02/18/16 10:28 PM

Originally Posted By: rkd
Definitely bought at the Skeeter tournament. Didn't see "Tactical" on the label. It's too "lite" to throw a 1 oz jig or CR....too much flex in the last 1/3 of the rod.(closest to the tip) I've even thrown a chatterbait on it as that seems more inline with the action of the rod. I definitely want a heavier action, and longer than 7ft, for CR's and flipping jigs. The Skeeter brochure doesn't say "Tactical" so I'm not clear on that.

The "tactical" series are TFO GTS rods. GTS = G.Loomis Tactical Series The heavy model # is GTS C736-1, if that helps any.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum