Texas Fishing Forum

Which end of Reservoirs Usually Produce better?

Posted By: BeardedBanker

Which end of Reservoirs Usually Produce better? - 02/11/16 09:59 PM

Upper end toward Dam or lower end toward river? Is it different for each lake? Seasonal?
Posted By: 203 CHAMP

Re: Which end of Reservoirs Usually Produce better? - 02/11/16 10:00 PM

popcorn2
Posted By: timwins31

Re: Which end of Reservoirs Usually Produce better? - 02/11/16 10:02 PM

I'm sure someone will come along with a complex answer. I'm just gonna say the dam end. More deep water means more fish live there. I know that's overly simple but I imagine it's true on most lakes.
Posted By: Brent S

Re: Which end of Reservoirs Usually Produce better? - 02/11/16 10:13 PM

I've always wondered why the upper end is the dam end. In our lakes, most dams are on the south. Is that not considered the lower end?
Posted By: ChanceHuiet

Re: Which end of Reservoirs Usually Produce better? - 02/11/16 10:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Brent S
I've always wondered why the upper end is the dam end. In our lakes, most dams are on the south. Is that not considered the lower end?

Yes
Posted By: JMac-D

Re: Which end of Reservoirs Usually Produce better? - 02/11/16 10:18 PM

The end where the fish are
Posted By: Jpurdue

Re: Which end of Reservoirs Usually Produce better? - 02/11/16 10:21 PM

I would also guess the southern end for two reasons: 1. You are going to find more bait on the southern end of reservoirs as the water temperature there is more stable because of the volume of deep water. In water much below 55 degrees you can have major shad kills with a sudden temperature swings. The shallow northern end of a reservoir is going to be more susceptible to this. 2. Northern ends tend to be much more muddy which blocks a lot of light from penetrating the water. Fewer weeds. Less plankton. Less food in general. Sunlight drives the food chain.

All that said, southern ends get far more pressure because of the clearer water and fewer boating hazards. From a catch rate point of view, I would not be surprised if more fish are caught on a per hour bases in the northern half.
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: Which end of Reservoirs Usually Produce better? - 02/11/16 10:24 PM

Coves that tend to produce first are the North Coves. If one of these coves is a Dog Leg Cove, meaning it has a sharp bend in it making it run East and West that is even better. The predominant South East winds will keep the water that has warmed from the sun in there much better. Then a day or two of North wind will not hurt it because the surface water cannot be moved out very easily.

Stained water warms much faster, so I prefer up the river as far as you can get. Small pockets and little no nothing points with heavy wood has produced best for me.
Posted By: 374 Trigger

Re: Which end of Reservoirs Usually Produce better? - 02/11/16 11:14 PM

look again you will find a number of lakes have dam on north end.also ive always considered the dam the lower end and river the upper,remember water runs down
Posted By: kirbydog

Re: Which end of Reservoirs Usually Produce better? - 02/11/16 11:17 PM

Simple-upper end(inlet) in spring and fall, lower end (dam) in summer and winter.
Posted By: EastTexasBassin

Re: Which end of Reservoirs Usually Produce better? - 02/11/16 11:53 PM

If I'm not fishing a tournament, they're biting on whatever end I'm fishing.

If I am fishing a tournament, they're biting on the opposite end from where I'm at.
Posted By: joebass2

Re: Which end of Reservoirs Usually Produce better? - 02/12/16 03:05 AM

I honestly believe on a lake like Cedar Creek the fishing is better on the lower end because the tournaments go out of the lower end and a lot of keepers are brought from the all over the lake to weighins.
Posted By: joebass2

Re: Which end of Reservoirs Usually Produce better? - 02/12/16 03:06 AM

I honestly believe on a lake like Cedar Creek the fishing is better on the lower end because the tournaments go out of the lower end. A lot of keepers are brought from the all over the lake to the weigh ins at the lower end.
Posted By: Evan O'Brien

Re: Which end of Reservoirs Usually Produce better? - 02/12/16 04:16 AM

Originally Posted By: Donald Harper
Coves that tend to produce first are the North Coves. If one of these coves is a Dog Leg Cove, meaning it has a sharp bend in it making it run East and West that is even better. The predominant South East winds will keep the water that has warmed from the sun in there much better. Then a day or two of North wind will not hurt it because the surface water cannot be moved out very easily.

Stained water warms much faster, so I prefer up the river as far as you can get. Small pockets and little no nothing points with heavy wood has produced best for me.

thumb

To add to that water temperature is the biggest factor for me this time of year. Don't count anything out thought.. If they are note biting for you up shallow in 55-56+ muddy water.. Try clearer water at 51-52 with the same baits or back off with a jerkbait. You could try to back off with different baits, but a jerkbait isn't ideal there. If the type of water you're fishing isn't producing withing a few hours... Try plan b,c, and d!
Posted By: Rudy Lackey

Re: Which end of Reservoirs Usually Produce better? - 02/12/16 03:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Donald Harper

N/W love coves & creeks that run east to west
Posted By: LukeMcFarlane

Re: Which end of Reservoirs Usually Produce better? - 02/12/16 03:13 PM

I am confused about the Dam being on the Upper end of a lake? How is that possible? The only lakes I have been on have always had the Dam on the southern end. I cant think of how water would pool below a dam?
Posted By: forkduc

Re: Which end of Reservoirs Usually Produce better? - 02/12/16 03:18 PM

In Spring the north end warms first,as well as rocks,rip rap and dam.
Posted By: LukeMcFarlane

Re: Which end of Reservoirs Usually Produce better? - 02/12/16 03:20 PM

I prefer the nothern end but the muddier shallower water better suits the way I like to fish.
Posted By: JacksonBean

Re: Which end of Reservoirs Usually Produce better? - 02/12/16 03:29 PM

Originally Posted By: LukeMcFarlane
I am confused about the Dam being on the Upper end of a lake? How is that possible? The only lakes I have been on have always had the Dam on the southern end. I cant think of how water would pool below a dam?

If you had some atypical topography (we have a few even in Texas) then you could have the dam be the upper end and the "river" be the southern end.

But no..... Not the norm with mountainous regions being north of us with the Gulf to the south.
Posted By: Blues

Re: Which end of Reservoirs Usually Produce better? - 02/12/16 03:36 PM

Topo can be weird. Around Abilene, and Breckenridge water runs south to north, so fort phantom and Hubbard creek have dams on the north end. Not far east or south and the lakes have dams on the southern end because water runs north to south there, like PK and OH Ivie.
Posted By: 374 Trigger

Re: Which end of Reservoirs Usually Produce better? - 02/12/16 05:16 PM

Benbrook,arlington,joe pool,cooper all have dam on north end and more
Posted By: Blues

Re: Which end of Reservoirs Usually Produce better? - 02/12/16 05:34 PM

Originally Posted By: 374 Trigger

Yeah but only because of the topo in that area. Lots of people look at a map and say water always runs down or south, that's not always true.
Posted By: Der Vorsteher

Re: Which end of Reservoirs Usually Produce better? - 02/12/16 05:35 PM

Always the opposite end of where I am fishing.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Which end of Reservoirs Usually Produce better? - 02/12/16 06:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Blues
Originally Posted By: 374 Trigger

Yeah but only because of the topo in that area. Lots of people look at a map and say water always runs down or south, that's not always true.

and Mountain Creek.

The south end of that area is the highest elevation point on a line through DFW between the Red River and the gulf. Water flows downhill.
Posted By: Texascajun69

Re: Which end of Reservoirs Usually Produce better? - 02/12/16 09:53 PM

The lakes warm faster on the upper ends (whether that is north or south) because the water is shallower. They will warm progressively toward the lower end. Generally in early spring the upper end of a lake will have fish in pre-spawn/ spawn before the lower end. The lower end is usually deeper water will be slower to warm and is slower to cool in the fall. Lalkes like Toledo Bend are so long you can follow the Spawn from upper to lower over a 3 month period. Feb- Upper, March- Middle, and April/ May- lower. 2 yrs. ago J-Pow won the Elite on T-bend in May fishing spawning fish on the lower end of the lake in the Indian creek area.

I would rather call the lower end the dam. Lakes like Waco and Stillhouse don't flow north to south as a lot others in Texas. Lower always means the dam.
Posted By: Scoundrel

Re: Which end of Reservoirs Usually Produce better? - 02/13/16 03:07 AM

THE END
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum