Texas Fishing Forum

Lake JB Thomas

Posted By: RJF1423

Lake JB Thomas - 02/11/16 05:31 PM

Has anyone tried to fish this lake since it filled up in the spring and was stocked? I'm wondering if it would be worth the hour and a half drive from my place to try and fish it
Posted By: ksalmon

Re: Lake JB Thomas - 02/11/16 11:00 PM

I wouldn't think so yet. Depending on food supply I would think it needs another year. Just my opinion.
Posted By: bigbass87

Re: Lake JB Thomas - 02/11/16 11:07 PM

I'm hoping to see something good here. My dad lives in Big Spring and all his lakes have had fish kills it seems. Thomas, Champion, c city, and Sweetwater. Seems like oak creek and Alan Henry are his only options now.

Re: Lake JB Thomas - 02/12/16 03:51 PM

Originally Posted By: bigbass87
I'm hoping to see something good here. My dad lives in Big Spring and all his lakes have had fish kills it seems. Thomas, Champion, c city, and Sweetwater. Seems like oak creek and Alan Henry are his only options now.
Does oak creek have enough water in it to launch a boat? Last time I was there it was a no go.

I really feel like JB Thomas will be an option eventually. I'm just wondering if anyone has tried to fish it. With all of the new flooded vegetation it should give the next few spawns tons of cover and help the LMB population take off.
Posted By: vdavid

Re: Lake JB Thomas - 02/12/16 04:33 PM

I have heard you can put in at Oak Creek by the dam. Just a dirt ramp you probably need four wheel drive. Looking on google satellite there are a few trucks with empty boat trailers parked there.
Posted By: bigbass87

Re: Lake JB Thomas - 02/12/16 07:25 PM

I have been told that Oak Creek has come up enough to launch a boat. I was also told by some friends in Big Spring that they were catching fish after the first big flood on Thomas, which was before they stocked it. I guess they are either lying, or the flood washed in some new fish from peoples stock tanks or something.
Posted By: droemt

Re: Lake JB Thomas - 02/12/16 11:10 PM

Hopefully it will keep its water the next few years.

Re: Lake JB Thomas - 02/13/16 08:05 PM

Originally Posted By: droemt
Hopefully it will keep its water the next few years.
yeah I worry about it getting drained right away as well. I live in a very lake poor area and this would be a great lake for me if it kept water in it
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum