Texas Fishing Forum

For those chunkin' BABY BRUSH HOG

Posted By: Ryan Wags

For those chunkin' BABY BRUSH HOG - 02/10/16 02:13 AM

Quick question here concerning ZOOM'S BABY BRUSH HOG. Do you separate the "top little arms" from the body, or leave them intact, exactly the way they are packed in the bag?

The STRIKE KING GAME HAWG, (which I use equally, and is a great bait) is very similar to Zoom's Baby Brush Hog, but it comes in the bag with the arms NOT attached to the body.

I contacted ZOOM, and they said to leave the body "as-is", but I've been pulling the arms off of the body like the S.K. Game Hawg. Maybe I'm just a crazy rebel...(HAHA) All of these combos work, but just wondering what you guys do with your Zoom Baby Brush Hogs???? Leave the "arms as-is", or pull them apart like you would on other craw baits that need to be separated.
Posted By: toddfish

Re: For those chunkin' BABY BRUSH HOG - 02/10/16 02:17 AM

I always pulled them apart, mainly because that's how I thought they were supposed to be.
Posted By: ChanceHuiet

Re: For those chunkin' BABY BRUSH HOG - 02/10/16 02:19 AM

Left them as is. Only thing I separate on a plastic is the tails of a beaver.
Posted By: Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad

Re: For those chunkin' BABY BRUSH HOG - 02/10/16 02:20 AM

I usually fish them attached, but if they are eating it fairly well I'll experiment with them and pull them apart.
Posted By: Tristin Riddle

Re: For those chunkin' BABY BRUSH HOG - 02/10/16 02:27 AM

I leave them as is but I know a few guys that swear by pulling them apart.
Posted By: Bissett

Re: For those chunkin' BABY BRUSH HOG - 02/10/16 02:28 AM

I mostly leave them attached but if I do tear them, I tear the part closest to the 'head' of the bait
Posted By: James Biggs

Re: For those chunkin' BABY BRUSH HOG - 02/10/16 02:33 AM

I pull them apart

Re: For those chunkin' BABY BRUSH HOG - 02/10/16 02:38 AM

[quote=Bissett]I mostly leave them attached but if I do tear them, I tear the part closest to the 'head' of the bait[/quote ]
That's what I'm talking about. The little arms closest to the head. Zoom's make like a "wing", but if you separate them (like the S.King Game Hawg), it's more like a lizard appendage.
Posted By: gatoreyes

Re: For those chunkin' BABY BRUSH HOG - 02/10/16 02:39 AM

Leave them intact. Seems cruel to pull them apart.

Re: For those chunkin' BABY BRUSH HOG - 02/10/16 02:48 AM

Originally Posted By: gatoreyes
Leave them intact. Seems cruel to pull them apart.

That's funny! Your comment made me laugh, but it does NOT seem as cruel when this happens! As I said, I did contact ZOOM, and they said to leave them intact. I sent this pic, and never heard back.(LOL).......I guess a hungry fish is a hungry fish. That's the way I see it.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: For those chunkin' BABY BRUSH HOG - 02/10/16 03:03 AM

I leave them just as they are. You know one side of the baby brush hog is different from the other, right? If you lay it flat, one side will cause the flappers (or wings) to open and the other side will cause them to close. I rig my hook in them to make the flappers open up.
Posted By: Trickster

Re: For those chunkin' BABY BRUSH HOG - 02/10/16 03:08 AM

As is. BBH is a great bait.
Posted By: skeeterfan

Re: For those chunkin' BABY BRUSH HOG - 02/10/16 03:13 AM

Leave them intact. Let the fish tear them up when they bite.
Posted By: kscatman76

Re: For those chunkin' BABY BRUSH HOG - 02/10/16 03:14 AM

Every once in awhile I will take a pair of scissors and cut about 3/4 of the way up the big flappers for more movement to.
Posted By: Chris Coufal

Re: For those chunkin' BABY BRUSH HOG - 02/10/16 03:14 AM

as is......they are either eating it or not......don't over think it.....
Posted By: Dubee

Re: For those chunkin' BABY BRUSH HOG - 02/10/16 04:04 AM

Fish them as is
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: For those chunkin' BABY BRUSH HOG - 02/10/16 04:07 AM

As is and get big bites version, way cheaper if you use natural colors
Posted By: outfishdya

Re: For those chunkin' BABY BRUSH HOG - 02/10/16 07:28 AM

Originally Posted By: ezbassin
I leave them just as they are. You know one side of the baby brush hog is different from the other, right? If you lay it flat, one side will cause the flappers (or wings) to open and the other side will cause them to close. I rig my hook in them to make the flappers open up.

I have looked at many ov these baits, if this is intentional, why cna't zoom get it right with the laminate. Baby bass are nearlt always white side up, as with others. I have found just slightly tugging on the flapps will score or rip them in place either side, I would rather have flappers down to slow the fall, maybe this is how zoom sees it also
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: For those chunkin' BABY BRUSH HOG - 02/10/16 12:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Chris Coufal
Posted By: Donald Harper

Re: For those chunkin' BABY BRUSH HOG - 02/10/16 12:24 PM

Thanks for sharing this Ryan. The little things we do makes a lot of difference in catching fish. I have looked at this in Mexico where we have a captive audience of 75 to over 100 Bass per day. We almost fish exclusively Brush Hogs down there now.
- Separating the arms not only increases numbers it catches bigger Bass. Scent them in my Crayfish Extract and see what happens on your next trip.
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: For those chunkin' BABY BRUSH HOG - 02/10/16 12:34 PM

I don't want to void the warranty, So I leave them attached..........
Posted By: Nutman

Re: For those chunkin' BABY BRUSH HOG - 02/10/16 12:53 PM

Originally Posted By: Jaret Latta

how does using a natural color make them cheaper ?
Posted By: Rhino68W

Re: For those chunkin' BABY BRUSH HOG - 02/10/16 01:51 PM

I guess I need to get some brush hogs. Still don't own any of these plastics.

Re: For those chunkin' BABY BRUSH HOG - 02/10/16 01:55 PM

Originally Posted By: outfishdya
Originally Posted By: ezbassin

I have looked at many ov these baits, if this is intentional, why cna't zoom get it right with the laminate. Baby bass are nearlt always white side up, as with others. I have found just slightly tugging on the flapps will score or rip them in place either side, I would rather have flappers down to slow the fall, maybe this is how zoom sees it also

You know, I have never tested it out to see if it matters to the fish. It just might not matter at all which way we have it rigged.
Posted By: Chasin Hogs

Re: For those chunkin' BABY BRUSH HOG - 02/10/16 01:57 PM

Yup and big bites last longer.
Posted By: SoCal Tom

Re: For those chunkin' BABY BRUSH HOG - 02/10/16 02:09 PM

I've always pulled them apart. Maybe I'll try leaving them attached and see if it makes a difference
Posted By: CCTX

Re: For those chunkin' BABY BRUSH HOG - 02/10/16 02:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Nutman

I think this means that the Big Bite versions are cheaper, but aren't offered in the multitude of colors offered by zoom. For example: Big Bite does make them in the standard natural colors (watermelons, pumpkins, and junebugs) , but maybe not in emerald blue or black sapphire laminate.

Re: For those chunkin' BABY BRUSH HOG - 02/10/16 02:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Donald Harper
Scent them in my Crayfish Extract and see what happens on your next trip.

LOL.....how did I know this would turn into an infomercial?

End of the day fish it the way that gives you the most confidence. If you separate them, it gives the bait additional action. If you leave them attached it's more subtle. At the end of the day you are going to fish it better if you have confidence in knowing you are throwing a bait that has caught you fish in the past. I love throwing a BBH and fish it several different ways based on what I'm doing and where I'm going. Now go catch a few biggun's!

Re: For those chunkin' BABY BRUSH HOG - 02/10/16 02:38 PM

try separating the upper arms and then fishing them wacky style.....BAM !!!!
Posted By: JMac-D

Re: For those chunkin' BABY BRUSH HOG - 02/10/16 03:03 PM

As is
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: For those chunkin' BABY BRUSH HOG - 02/10/16 03:13 PM

Originally Posted By: collincountytx

I think this means that the Big Bite versions are cheaper, but aren't offered in the multitude of colors offered by zoom. For example: Big Bite does make them in the standard natural colors (watermelons, pumpkins, and junebugs) , but maybe not in emerald blue or black sapphire laminate.

Yes that's what I meant
http://shop.bigbitebaits.com/Creature-Bait-4_c57.htm?page=1
Posted By: ChampionDon (SkeeterDon)

Re: For those chunkin' BABY BRUSH HOG - 02/10/16 03:18 PM

I always separate to impart more action in the lure. The next question is do you separate from the bottom or top? Both will produce a different action. Again I like to impart more action so I separate from the top and never on the bottom.
Posted By: dallasdawg

Re: For those chunkin' BABY BRUSH HOG - 02/10/16 03:36 PM

I fish it as is.
Posted By: Allen Bass Fisher

Re: For those chunkin' BABY BRUSH HOG - 02/10/16 03:51 PM

I separate from the bottom. Always have but some fishing buddies of mine don't seprate.
Posted By: bass1n

Re: For those chunkin' BABY BRUSH HOG - 02/10/16 03:52 PM

Depends. Fish fast - leave them intact. Fish slow - separate at the head and split the "claws"...
Posted By: june-bug

Re: For those chunkin' BABY BRUSH HOG - 02/10/16 04:08 PM

I tear them completely off sometimes but most of the time leave them alone.
Posted By: northdallasfisherman

Re: For those chunkin' BABY BRUSH HOG - 02/10/16 04:22 PM

I tear them apart to create a little more action. If I'm flipping heavy thick grass I will leave them attached
Posted By: Do-Nothin

Re: For those chunkin' BABY BRUSH HOG - 02/10/16 04:48 PM

As is for me!
Posted By: kej

Re: For those chunkin' BABY BRUSH HOG - 02/10/16 04:48 PM

one on one off
Posted By: 2manyrangers

Re: For those chunkin' BABY BRUSH HOG - 02/10/16 04:52 PM

Originally Posted By: RedRanger

flehan
Posted By: Fast Lane

Re: For those chunkin' BABY BRUSH HOG - 02/10/16 05:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Ryan Wags
Quick question here concerning ZOOM'S BABY BRUSH HOG. Do you separate the "top little arms" from the body, or leave them intact, exactly the way they are packed in the bag?

The STRIKE KING GAME HAWG, (which I use equally, and is a great bait) is very similar to Zoom's Baby Brush Hog, but it comes in the bag with the arms NOT attached to the body.

I contacted ZOOM, and they said to leave the body "as-is", but I've been pulling the arms off of the body like the S.K. Game Hawg. Maybe I'm just a crazy rebel...(HAHA) All of these combos work, but just wondering what you guys do with your Zoom Baby Brush Hogs???? Leave the "arms as-is", or pull them apart like you would on other craw baits that need to be separated.

Try a V&M swamp hog. They work great.

Posted By: FSWITX

Re: For those chunkin' BABY BRUSH HOG - 02/10/16 05:24 PM

Never really gave it much thought, kinda leav'em as they are, usually a very productive bait. texas
Posted By: Huckleberry

Re: For those chunkin' BABY BRUSH HOG - 02/10/16 05:30 PM

I took a survey and bass 3#'s and under said they like it intact. Bass 3 to 4-1/2#'s said they like it either way. The bass 4-1/2#'s and up said if you can find us and you throw anything within a 1 foot radius of our head, we will eat anything you throw.
Posted By: M. Alexander

Re: For those chunkin' BABY BRUSH HOG - 02/10/16 06:03 PM

Yep^^ Can you imagine a fish scrutinizing it..."Hmmm, them arms ain't dangling. Please send this back, waiter."

Re: For those chunkin' BABY BRUSH HOG - 02/10/16 06:34 PM

I'm never here to start static, but find it ironic that the guy who originally said, "DON"T OVER THINK IT" comes back and says, " I love throwing a BBH and fish it several different ways based on what I'm doing and where I'm going."

I agree that forum is LOADED with people "over-thinking" things, but I must say that this thread has received WAY MORE attention than I would have ever imagined. I spend more days on the water than off, (and even less times looking for advice on forums.) I enjoy learning. I'm always working on "something" to become a better angler, but this topic had me wondering what others do, and I figured I would get a few replies. I've enjoyed reading the responses, and also the links to comparable products......Good luck, my friends!!
Posted By: Daniel Mtanous

Re: For those chunkin' BABY BRUSH HOG - 02/10/16 06:44 PM

Leave them on. If I wanted something with loose appendages I'd buy it that way.
Posted By: lipjerk

Re: For those chunkin' BABY BRUSH HOG - 02/10/16 07:37 PM

Leave them attached in winter, rip off the bottom of the arm in summer, spring and fall either way, can't really say I've ever noticed any difference, that's just how I do it.
Posted By: catslayer

Re: For those chunkin' BABY BRUSH HOG - 02/10/16 07:45 PM

leave them... only thing I use nearly on a c-rig
Posted By: Texascajun69

Re: For those chunkin' BABY BRUSH HOG - 02/10/16 08:34 PM

I have always torn the arms so they flap when the bait falls. Just gives it a little more action. Years ago before BBH there was a man name Leland Wiley who was in the Calcasieu Bassmasters who made a bait called a Bass Thing that he sold at a lot of the T-Bend bait shops and marinas. It had 2 arms on it with a curly tail. When we tore the arms and let them flap we got a lot more bites. SO when BBH came out, I just continued doing it. But I liked the comment about leaving them attached slows the fall. I know when I fish them around bream beds, I lose a lot of baits when the bull bream bites the arms off. In the future I may leave them attached in this situation.
Posted By: chas1

Re: For those chunkin' BABY BRUSH HOG - 02/10/16 08:42 PM

Fish it as is

Re: For those chunkin' BABY BRUSH HOG - 02/10/16 08:43 PM

One of the main reasons I contacted ZOOM first was some manufacturers keep parts attached simply so that the bait will not get disfigured. Look at the packaging of a Rage Craw.
Posted By: musiclife_7

Re: For those chunkin' BABY BRUSH HOG - 02/10/16 09:01 PM

I usually leave them attached. Only time I don't is when I'm fishing heavy cover (brush type cover). I don't want a twig to grab the arm and catch it or alter it's fall....95% of the time I fish them attached.

Re: For those chunkin' BABY BRUSH HOG - 02/10/16 10:39 PM

I'm never here to start static, but find it ironic that the guy who originally said, "DON"T OVER THINK IT" comes back and says, " I love throwing a BBH and fish it several different ways based on what I'm doing and where I'm going

And never did I say those ways involved ripping arms. Had you asked for clarification, I would have told you that I like them as a jig trailer, I like to swim them and of course Texas rig and c-rig. There are many ways to fish a BBH as i said......just as there are many ways to modify one as the original question was about. Did that sort out the irony?

Re: For those chunkin' BABY BRUSH HOG - 02/10/16 10:56 PM

I'm never here to start static, but find it ironic that the guy who originally said, "DON"T OVER THINK IT" comes back and says, " I love throwing a BBH and fish it several different ways based on what I'm doing and where I'm going

And never did I say those ways involved ripping arms. Had you asked for clarification, I would have told you that I like them as a jig trailer, I like to swim them and of course Texas rig and c-rig. There are many ways to fish a BBH as i said......just as there are many ways to modify one as the original question was about. Did that sort out the irony?

Sure. All good. By saying not to overthink it, I thought you were referring to the decision whether or not to disconnect,or separate the arms, which is what this thread is about. You are referring to different rigging techniques. That's fair. I extend my hand for a sincere electronic handshake. Yes, it is quite versatile. Good luck to you.
Posted By: Brian McCarty

Re: For those chunkin' BABY BRUSH HOG - 02/11/16 01:43 AM

Originally Posted By: RedRanger
How is the customer service?
Posted By: Cass Caldwell

Re: For those chunkin' BABY BRUSH HOG - 02/11/16 03:07 PM

I tear them apart. Gives a little more action and looks a little different from the 1 billon other ones they've seen.

Re: For those chunkin' BABY BRUSH HOG - 02/11/16 04:16 PM

Originally Posted By: Cass Caldwell
I tear them apart. Gives a little more action and looks a little different from the 1 billon other ones they've seen.

You know,,,,, I see this a lot when folks are talking about baits,,,,especially plastics,,,,,the fish see them a lot and get used to them and don't bite.........
???
I find this "interesting", funny, puzzeling ,,,,,,,,, since the "bait" is supposed to represent a fishes food source. Do fish actually quit biting crawdads because they see them a lot, or quit feedin on shad because they see them a lot ???
why is an artificial bait that represents the fishes food source something a fish will get used to seeing and NOT bite ?

Don't mean to steal the thread but...............
Posted By: lconn4

Re: For those chunkin' BABY BRUSH HOG - 02/11/16 04:39 PM

I pull one claw off, trim the third leg on opposite side at the joint, and cut antenna in half on same side to give it a more scraggly look and never before seen limping action. #money #word banana bolt

Never mind ... wrong bait.
Posted By: WacoHawgCaller

Re: For those chunkin' BABY BRUSH HOG - 02/12/16 05:05 AM

Ive tried both ways. i didnt know there was a recommended way to fish it....thread it on the hook and throw it out there. Baby Brush Hogs have been a staple for me for years.
Posted By: rxkid2001

Re: For those chunkin' BABY BRUSH HOG - 02/12/16 05:46 AM

Pull the end off nearest the tail, just adds a little extra movement.

Re: For those chunkin' BABY BRUSH HOG - 02/12/16 02:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Cass Caldwell

You know,,,,, I see this a lot when folks are talking about baits,,,,especially plastics,,,,,the fish see them a lot and get used to them and don't bite.........
???
I find this "interesting", funny, puzzeling ,,,,,,,,, since the "bait" is supposed to represent a fishes food source. Do fish actually quit biting crawdads because they see them a lot, or quit feedin on shad because they see them a lot ???
why is an artificial bait that represents the fishes food source something a fish will get used to seeing and NOT bite ?

Don't mean to steal the thread but...............

Yea bass get tired of seeing live shad and craws all the time so they switch to artificial's. Bass seem to want the "arms" detached when the water is warm and attached when it is cold.
Posted By: Alex M

Re: For those chunkin' BABY BRUSH HOG - 02/12/16 04:25 PM

Both, I'll pull off to get a slower drop if I feel I need it.
Posted By: Scoundrel

Re: For those chunkin' BABY BRUSH HOG - 02/13/16 03:21 AM

On lakes with lots of pressure and if the cover is sparse I will rig the BBH backwards .... But you have to use red line with this method.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum