Texas Fishing Forum

Jerkbait line choice?

Posted By: One fish Bill

Jerkbait line choice? - 02/09/16 11:01 PM

What size line do you guys use for jerkbaits?
Posted By: Puma Jim

Re: Jerkbait line choice? - 02/09/16 11:19 PM

One rod with 10lb and one with 12lb
Posted By: Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad

Re: Jerkbait line choice? - 02/09/16 11:24 PM

10lb floro of your choice
Posted By: James Biggs

Re: Jerkbait line choice? - 02/09/16 11:27 PM

10-12lbs sunline floro
Posted By: Lake Fork Guide Zach Hughes

Re: Jerkbait line choice? - 02/09/16 11:51 PM

Depending on lake but agree 10-12lb fluoro
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Jerkbait line choice? - 02/10/16 12:08 AM

Why fluoro. instead of a co-polymer line?
Posted By: 184Champion

Re: Jerkbait line choice? - 02/10/16 12:16 AM

10# Fluoro
Posted By: Lake Fork Guide Zach Hughes

Re: Jerkbait line choice? - 02/10/16 12:26 AM

When throwing a jerk bait most of the time I want my bait suspending for sometimes several seconds. A fluoro line sinks this allows the bait to be fished without rise in the bait and smaller line allows it to be fished a tad bit deeper.
Posted By: John-Mark

Re: Jerkbait line choice? - 02/10/16 12:53 AM

My main jerk bait is a weightless fluke... It won't walk the dog the way I like on anything but mono I use 12 lb big game... Casts a mile and has the perfect stretch I want... Stretch helps the action for me... And the stretch adds to more hookups when they blow up on it rather than jerk it out of their mouth... But to each their own....
Posted By: B-rader

Re: Jerkbait line choice? - 02/10/16 01:12 AM

Depends on the water temp , mono or fluro.
Posted By: PEDRO H.

Re: Jerkbait line choice? - 02/10/16 02:21 AM

15 lb big game
Posted By: outfishdya

Re: Jerkbait line choice? - 02/10/16 07:48 AM

Originally Posted By: John-Mark
My main jerk bait is a weightless fluke... It won't walk the dog the way I like on anything but mono I use 12 lb big game... Casts a mile and has the perfect stretch I want... Stretch helps the action for me... And the stretch adds to more hookups when they blow up on it rather than jerk it out of their mouth... But to each their own....

Flukes spin too much with fluoro and the mono allows a better action because it goes limp where as the fluoro stiffness affects the bait. I love flukes, but most people don't have te patience to go weightless at any depth, I won't fish it more than 12 ft, or at least not if doesn't produce quick. Mean green has been good with the flukes also 12 or 15 lb depending on cover
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Jerkbait line choice? - 02/10/16 12:08 PM

12lb AN40 Silver Thread Copolymer Green line
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Jerkbait line choice? - 02/10/16 02:17 PM

Originally Posted By: outfishdya
Originally Posted By: John-Mark

Flukes spin too much with fluoro and the mono allows a better action because it goes limp where as the fluoro stiffness affects the bait. I love flukes, but most people don't have te patience to go weightless at any depth, I won't fish it more than 12 ft, or at least not if doesn't produce quick. Mean green has been good with the flukes also 12 or 15 lb depending on cover

I fish flukes weightless on fluoro. all the time and I don't have the spinning problem you mentioned at all. I use fluoro. because of the increased sensitivity it has for a weightless bait. I can feel lighter bites that way. I use 15# Invizx.
I also fish the mag fluke anywhere from 3-30 ft of water.
Posted By: One fish Bill

Re: Jerkbait line choice? - 02/10/16 02:19 PM

Thanks for all the replies, I have a new spool of Sun Line 10lb I got during the TW Christmas sale. Going to spool that on and give it a shot.
Posted By: TroyKing

Re: Jerkbait line choice? - 02/10/16 02:27 PM

Weightless fluke and 15#invisx works wonderful for me year round.I Watched it in the pool and it sinks level and straight like a senko. The hook has a lot to do with the action. Y'all got me thinking about trying some lighter line now.
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: Jerkbait line choice? - 02/10/16 02:31 PM

Sunline Reaction FC

I love using this line! I feel that it truly makes me a better jerkbait fisherman. I either use 8,10, or 12 pound test, depending on the water clarity. Throwing a jerkbait in the wind can be tricky and cause you to have frustrating backlashes. This line lays on the spool nicely while maintaining superior strength. It's also very sensitive and has a little stretch, which is what you want when using baits with treble hooks. Great line!
Posted By: Rudy Lackey

Re: Jerkbait line choice? - 02/10/16 02:40 PM

Big game 15#
Posted By: Nutman

Re: Jerkbait line choice? - 02/10/16 02:43 PM

weightless fluke on 14# Suffix mono.
Maybe I'll try the 12
Posted By: Spiderman

Re: Jerkbait line choice? - 02/10/16 02:49 PM

With Megabass Vision 110's I use Seaguar Invizx 12lb flouro and retie often between fish.

If the water isn't really clear or fishing around trees, I use Trilene XT in 12lb test.

Usually the catch rate is about the same for me with either line choice. Just keep in mind flouro sinks & mono rise, sometimes it will make a difference.
Posted By: redskeet100

Re: Jerkbait line choice? - 02/10/16 02:53 PM

I fish weightless fluke with 15 lb mono. I tried flouro and it seems to sink a little too fast for my liking compared to mono. If I am throwing a hard jerkbait, then flouro is ok as I don't mind the bait sinking faster but will switch to mono if I want it to suspend.
Posted By: buda13

Re: Jerkbait line choice? - 02/10/16 03:21 PM

Anything over 10 lb line and you start losing action on hard body jerkbaits. I cant attest to how much difference it makes catch rate wise, but In Fisherman did a segment on this years ago in those crystal clear Minnesota lakes with a scuba diver. You could see a clear difference in action from 10 lb to 12 lb line, it was a substantial difference from 10 lb to 15 lb line.
Posted By: Fast Lane

Re: Jerkbait line choice? - 02/10/16 05:01 PM

Mike McClelland uses 8 to 12-pound test Ande monofilament line. He does not like to throw fluorocarbon fishing line early in the year because it creates a bow in your line and drags the jerkbait down. Mono allows it to stay neutral it doesn't rise or fall.
Posted By: DAN-O

Re: Jerkbait line choice? - 02/10/16 05:52 PM

15#-17# fluoro.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum