Texas Fishing Forum

Fork best "fishing cabin" options?

Posted By: Rob Lay

Fork best "fishing cabin" options? - 02/07/16 03:36 PM

What does everyone recommend for best Fork home away from home places. RV vs. cabin vs. home? Which park or part of lake best?

I don't need large, just something nice and secure I might go couple months between visits in Fall/Winter. Thanks!
Posted By: snickers

Re: Fork best "fishing cabin" options? - 02/07/16 04:03 PM

I am building a house but I plan to stay. A lot of nice parks with security. Depends if you want lots of neighbors.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Fork best "fishing cabin" options? - 02/07/16 04:04 PM

Depends on how much you want to spend. Most of your options will be a Mobile home, park model, or pull behind or 5th wheel.
We found a mobile home we really like @ popes landing. Check the market, there are usually several different places around fork for sale all the time.
Posted By: Ranger1

Re: Fork best "fishing cabin" options? - 02/07/16 04:05 PM

Rob, I have always been a Bridgeview guy, located midlake on the West side. Very well maintained, stays clean and safe. They do not allow run down trailers in this park.
Posted By: ko bass attack 27

Re: Fork best "fishing cabin" options? - 02/07/16 04:50 PM

We have a Park Model located in Hang Out cove. We stay there 4 months out of the year, it gets cozy but is comfortable.
Posted By: buggsboy

Re: Fork best "fishing cabin" options? - 02/07/16 09:20 PM

Check out Scenic 515 cabins. Rent for $65/day, and sometimes give special monthly rates. Located roughly half way between 515 east and west ramps. I have a trailer there-nice quiet place.
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Fork best "fishing cabin" options? - 02/07/16 09:30 PM

We have had a 5th wheel at Pelican Point the last 3 years. WE LOVE it. They do not allow older trailers, they handle all lawn/groundskeeping, ownership lives on site, large lots, GREAT, well lit private deep water ramp with plenty of trailer parking. ZERO complaints at all. Would be hard pressed to get us to leave. Our neighbors are all good friendly folks. I like it in that its more an "adult" park. There is plenty of beer drinking and grilling out but never any drunk idiots acting a fool. Great place and great rates.

We enjoyed Paradise quite a bit too as its full of good folks and in same general area. The lots to us seemed smaller and parking was a bit more crowded but again good people in there too. We only moved when we decided to buy a bigger RV. cheers
Posted By: ChanceHuiet

Re: Fork best "fishing cabin" options? - 02/07/16 10:05 PM

Used to be a place called J&H lodge off FM1973. Right beside that old place is Corrys Guest House on Lake Fork. No clue what happens to JH but it was a great place to stay. Very private, on the water pretty much with private dock. Small 2 bedroom/ 1.5 bath cabin. Living room and fully furnished kitchen. Had satellite and internet. Mind you this was a while back. You could possibly find info on it since your up around the lake quite often.
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: Fork best "fishing cabin" options? - 02/07/16 10:26 PM

here's what you want, a 5th wheel(personal preference),in a park that don't not allow older trailers, and they handle all lawn/groundskeeping, ownership lives on site, large lots, mandatory is a well lit private deep water ramp with plenty of trailer parking. Gated entry. Middle of lake on one fork or the other.
Posted By: Slewfoot

Re: Fork best "fishing cabin" options? - 02/08/16 02:18 AM

If your gonna pull it around for other stuff I would say 5th wheel. If not I would go w a park model. We've had a park model in Pelican for 3 years. It's nice. Great park and they take awesome care of the place. Folks are real friendly too. They're not all like that for sure.
Posted By: MIKE SANDERS

Re: Fork best "fishing cabin" options? - 02/08/16 02:30 AM

Park model the only way to go. Fisherman's R V Camp 90 % park models.
Posted By: JBellZX250

Re: Fork best "fishing cabin" options? - 02/08/16 05:39 AM

Rob give me a call. You should come out and check out Paradise where I am at. Great group of people and your wife and daughter would enjoy it out there as well. I would say the best way to go is a RV. It allows you more ease to move lots of you can't find what you want to start with. Also I find the benefit to the RV is you could sell it much easier if you decide having a place is not for you. Most of all the RV having slide outs helps makes the space feel larger in the living and bedroom areas.

More than welcome to come out and stay at my place one weekend to get the feel for the RV way and see if it is something you are looking for. There is a waterfront RV for sale next to the boat ramp next In Paradise!
Posted By: JDJ01

Re: Fork best "fishing cabin" options? - 02/08/16 12:17 PM

Nice offer right there ^. I'll echo a RV being a good option. When I was a little younger I lived in a RV for 3 months and honestly wouldn't mind it today. That said... It's plenty comfy for a weekend get away and (as stated) will sell easier when you are ready to upgrade down the road

Re: Fork best "fishing cabin" options? - 02/08/16 01:23 PM

Originally Posted By: JBellZX202
More than welcome to come out and stay at my place one weekend to get the feel for the RV way and see if it is something you are looking for. There is a waterfront RV for sale next to the boat ramp next In Paradise!

thanks Jeff, I stayed in Cody's 5th wheel at Oak Ridge. it was very nice and comfortable, I just wonder if I wouldn't like a more permanent park model better. I really want a house, but not sure I need anything that big and all the house headaches. smile I do see some points with moving and around then selling for a RV.
Posted By: Accutrigger33

Re: Fork best "fishing cabin" options? - 02/08/16 02:23 PM

Give my uncle a call Rob...he rents his house out...located on the water, with a dock on taylor branch...give him a shout
Sam Walker..409-893-4270 and tell him Jason sent ya
Posted By: 921 Phoenix

Re: Fork best "fishing cabin" options? - 02/08/16 03:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Rob Lay
Originally Posted By: JBellZX202

thanks Jeff, I stayed in Cody's 5th wheel at Oak Ridge. it was very nice and comfortable, I just wonder if I wouldn't like a more permanent park model better. I really want a house, but not sure I need anything that big and all the house headaches. smile I do see some points with moving and around then selling for a RV.

Rob You may want to keep this in mind. The taxes on the lake are real high, you can pay the yearly lease cheaper. The Park models feel more like a home setting. You can have one custom made fairly quickly with all the upgrades you would want. You will not have to go out to the lake to do up keep, like mowing. just my .02
Posted By: krawlin 47

Re: Fork best "fishing cabin" options? - 02/08/16 03:23 PM

Originally Posted By: MIKE SANDERS
Park model the only way to go. Fisherman's R V Camp 90 % park models.

I agree with this - clean well kept and spacious.

Awesome Rental at the front too for larger groups.

Re: Fork best "fishing cabin" options? - 02/08/16 04:39 PM

If you find a waterfront lot I would say a Park model is a great option as resale will always be possible when waterfront. If you get an interior lot I wouldn't so much recommend one to start until you find the lot you really want to settle in on. As far as inside every day feel and creature comforts a park model is a great comparison to home. After being in and out of both I really would prefer a residential model 5th wheel as the double slide living and large bedroom slide out makes the space wider than a park model. We bought what was priced right when we got our camper. 1 year later we WANT more space but we do not need more space or payment at the time.

I will be out the last 2 weekends of Feb if you want to come out to my place I will walk you through park models and all different kinds of 5th wheels.
Posted By: Sedge

Re: Fork best "fishing cabin" options? - 02/08/16 04:41 PM

Rob,

I have a lot at the back of glade creek.

PM if interested...
Posted By: JWRid

Re: Fork best "fishing cabin" options? - 02/08/16 07:11 PM

I've had a Park model at Fisherman's Cove for almost two years. The place is spotless, well maintained, and has a great deep water ramp. For those days you do not feel like off loading the boat there is great fishing off the well lit floating dock or stationery docks, also gated, and it is smaller where everyone knows everyone and looks after each other. Highly recommend a Park model home if you are going to remain in one spot. Most of the homes in Fisherman's are Park models and those that aren't are much newer 5th wheels or larger newer camping trailers. Really hard to appreciate the place unless you see it.
Posted By: starclan

Re: Fork best "fishing cabin" options? - 02/08/16 09:00 PM

Pope's Landing is also a great location. Good boat ramps and located on the west side in Big Mustang.
Posted By: Reel Time Rods Lake Fork

Re: Fork best "fishing cabin" options? - 02/08/16 09:30 PM

Originally Posted By: starclan
Pope's Landing is also a great location. Good boat ramps and located on the west side in Big Mustang.

+1 on popes
Posted By: Brian@LFR

Re: Fork best "fishing cabin" options? - 02/08/16 09:31 PM

James Thompson, who owns Pope's and Lake Fork Resort is in the process of building a brand new park across from Pope's on Little Mustang. Its gated and fenced. He also sells park homes. They are going to be big lots and its a beautiful piece of property.

Re: Fork best "fishing cabin" options? - 02/09/16 02:51 PM

I opted for a mobile home, 3 br.2 bath, nearly 1,200 sq.ft. in Popes Landing. Great place. It all depends on what works for you. RV, 5th wheel, park model, mobile home, small house near the lake. Just look around and see what is for sale.

Re: Fork best "fishing cabin" options? - 02/09/16 03:20 PM

do people think the new Pope's Fishin' Hole location is a good spot? exposed to north wind?

Re: Fork best "fishing cabin" options? - 02/09/16 03:21 PM

what do yearly lot leases range on Fork?

Re: Fork best "fishing cabin" options? - 02/09/16 03:44 PM

My waterfront is $3750/year. The interior lot I had was $1800/year. Paradise has lots around 1400 and up. Water is included in that fee and our park has on site septic so you do not have to dump and carry out your own sewage. Gated entrance that is closed after 5pm as well so you do not have the public freely able to drive through while you are sleeping with rods out on the boat.
Posted By: JIM SR.

Re: Fork best "fishing cabin" options? - 02/09/16 03:52 PM

$1800 off the water, fish
Posted By: JWRid

Re: Fork best "fishing cabin" options? - 02/09/16 04:17 PM

I've had a Park model at Fisherman's Cove for almost two years. The place is spotless, well maintained, and has a great deep water ramp. For those days you do not feel like off loading the boat there is great fishing off the well lit floating dock or stationery docks, also gated, and it is smaller where everyone knows everyone and looks after each other. Highly recommend a Park model home if you are going to remain in one spot. Most of the homes in Fisherman's are Park models and those that aren't are much newer 5th wheels or larger newer camping trailers. Really hard to appreciate the place unless you see it.

Man, I can't even remember where I have my place: Fisherman's Camp, not Fisherman's Cove.

Re: Fork best "fishing cabin" options? - 02/10/16 04:31 AM

do people think the new Pope's Fishin' Hole location is a good spot? exposed to north wind?

The property is protected from the north wind. Give James an email if you have any questions. I know he's about to start meeting with people and taking deposits on the lots. James@popeslanding.com

Re: Fork best "fishing cabin" options? - 02/10/16 11:27 AM

everyone with RV/park model lots... so you just pay the annual fee and everything else is covered? no other headaches? I would think a park model with no upkeep could go months without visiting to check on?

Re: Fork best "fishing cabin" options? - 02/10/16 02:10 PM

It will be on the bank of Little Mustang. It will be a fantastic place to lease. That's where I would choose if I wasn't already on the other side of the road in Popes. Popes has two ramps, docks, a store and Reel Time rods is also located there which is a bonus.

Re: Fork best "fishing cabin" options? - 02/10/16 04:54 PM

everyone with RV/park model lots... so you just pay the annual fee and everything else is covered? no other headaches? I would think a park model with no upkeep could go months without visiting to check on?

All the parks are different, but I know the Fishin hole as everything covered but your power and also if you want cake/satellite. People love the park homes because they are maintenance free. We have 8 of them that are nightly rentals at Pope's. Come by and check them out if you'd like.
Posted By: GRUMPS

Re: Fork best "fishing cabin" options? - 02/10/16 05:13 PM

I bought my place back in August at Paradise. Great well kept park and the people are fantastic.
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Fork best "fishing cabin" options? - 02/10/16 05:16 PM

Yep. That is correct.
Posted By: Jigfish

Re: Fork best "fishing cabin" options? - 02/10/16 05:58 PM

Mine is in Fisherman's Cove also, Little Mustang and one of the docks has a Texas flag painted on the roof. Can't beat it
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum