Texas Fishing Forum

Are you kidding me!

Posted By: BeardedBanker

Are you kidding me! - 02/05/16 10:21 PM

Who would pay for this?

http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/Roman_Made_Mother_Triple_Swimbait/descpage-RMMTSB.html
Posted By: COHLMEYER

Re: Are you kidding me! - 02/05/16 10:25 PM

No.
It still has hooks. Texas lakes still have trees.

I'll lose it, I don't want to swim.
Posted By: swalker9513

Re: Are you kidding me! - 02/05/16 10:29 PM

I'd throw it off on the first cast.
Posted By: Huckleberry

Re: Are you kidding me! - 02/05/16 10:31 PM

I have 5 in the baby bass color, on a bad day, I just weigh in the lures
Posted By: Matty

Re: Are you kidding me! - 02/05/16 10:31 PM

That's gotta be a joke.
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Are you kidding me! - 02/05/16 10:38 PM

Nope not a joke. They sell plenty.
Posted By: Squirrely Dan

Re: Are you kidding me! - 02/05/16 10:43 PM

Can you buy insurance for them?
Posted By: Brandon Dickenson

Re: Are you kidding me! - 02/05/16 10:48 PM

I'm not into the big swimbait deal, but if I was, I would own those and hinkle's. Both are $400 baits.
Posted By: fitter2259

Re: Are you kidding me! - 02/05/16 10:56 PM

Everyone needs at least one $500 swim bait in their arsenal, along with a $5000 rig to sling it on.

[Quote]
Fine Bamboo Oyster Rods – $4,600

These rods are handcrafted and cut specially from a piece of bamboo upon request. You cannot just pick one up. You have to order it and wait while it is created from scratch. The handle is engraved and even comes with the option of a 24-carat gold inlay – though this costs so much extra that the company doesn’t even offer the price unless you place a deposit on a rod and then request a price for the gold inlay. This rod starts at $4,600 and goes up with each personalized detail you request.

Read more at http://worthly.com/most-expensive/five-expensive-fishing-rods/#38wzcJyXY6sO0tHb.99 [Quote]

Or.......If your really feeling froggy jump on this:
[quote] Daiwa japan are well known for there limited edition fishing tackle. Keeping with that tradition Daiwa have released possibly one of the worlds most expensive rods the Mugen Shiipou Ishidai. With around a 1,050,000JPY retail ( $10,500USD) it certainly is up there in price - See more at: http://www.tackletester.com/2009/05/muge...h.ku0fDdbO.dpuf [Quote]
Posted By: PlanoTom

Re: Are you kidding me! - 02/05/16 11:05 PM

I bought 8 and made an Alabama Rig.
Posted By: Black cat 62

Re: Are you kidding me! - 02/05/16 11:05 PM

Caught a lot of fish on yellow and black $.79 H&H
Posted By: snmcc

Re: Are you kidding me! - 02/05/16 11:07 PM

For that kind of money I would learn to build them.
Posted By: lipjerk

Re: Are you kidding me! - 02/05/16 11:22 PM

I saw a video once on how these are made, they are a true piece of art.
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: Are you kidding me! - 02/05/16 11:25 PM

Originally Posted By: lipjerk

A piece of true art sits in a gallery for people to look at and admire. I would hate to have to jump into a winter lake to retrieve this because if it did, I would be diving in!
Posted By: lipjerk

Re: Are you kidding me! - 02/05/16 11:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Rayzor
Originally Posted By: lipjerk

A piece of true art sits in a gallery for people to look at and admire. I would hate to have to jump into a winter lake to retrieve this because if it did, I would be diving in!

Right there with ya cheers
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Are you kidding me! - 02/05/16 11:40 PM

Might be best to wait for a Tackle Warehouse sale.
Posted By: Mayo

Re: Are you kidding me! - 02/05/16 11:43 PM

Someone on the forum bought one not too long ago. He said he was scared as hell of chunking it and getting it hung but didn't have to go for a swim that particular day. Can't say I've seen anything since about him catching a hawg on it or perhaps another trip on the water that didn't go so well.

Each to their own I guess. Not sure I could pull the trigger on one but I've bought some pretty ridiculous stuff over the years according to my wifey...
Posted By: Lowly Net Boy

Re: Are you kidding me! - 02/06/16 12:41 AM

Wonder if I can get it in Barfish color
Posted By: timwins31

Re: Are you kidding me! - 02/06/16 02:06 AM

There are actually a number of guys on this forum who throw roman mades. . .not my cup of tea but for the guys who like the big swimbaits, most have some of these. Throwing big swimbaits is a big dogs game. . .
Posted By: GROD

Re: Are you kidding me! - 02/06/16 02:17 AM

The same guy who pays cash for a 80,000 dollar bass boat with two tv's on the console and two on the bow! Not to mention this guy just started fishing last month... Lmao
Posted By: toddfish

Re: Are you kidding me! - 02/06/16 02:25 AM

Originally Posted By: Huckleberry
roflmao
Posted By: Brad R

Re: Are you kidding me! - 02/06/16 02:35 AM

No, I would not pay that sort of price for any lure.

But, price aside, I watched the product video on TW and I think the lures move . . . extremely well. They really do look and move a lot like a fish.

These sorts of giant lures are sure in vogue right now.

Just a guess that this one will always sell at a premium price but that the price will drop considerably over time.

Brad
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Are you kidding me! - 02/06/16 02:57 AM

I wish that I still had my cnc machine. I'd set it up to carve these out while I was fishing. I'm really considering getting another machine to play with so I can make similar type stuff for pennies on dollar of what they are charging.
Posted By: cfisch007

Re: Are you kidding me! - 02/06/16 03:06 AM

I'm sorry, but whoever spends $475 on a frickin bass lure is just plain stupid rich, and just plain stupid as well.
Posted By: skeeterbugzx300

Re: Are you kidding me! - 02/06/16 03:19 AM

just got the two I ordered in today but my wife found credit card bill and made me send them back lol
Posted By: djones03

Re: Are you kidding me! - 02/06/16 03:35 AM

I heard they work best on 6 or 8 lb line
Posted By: Dakota22

Re: Are you kidding me! - 02/06/16 04:44 AM

Originally Posted By: Huckleberry

HAHAHAHA
Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Are you kidding me! - 02/06/16 04:50 AM

Originally Posted By: Bobby Milam
I wish that I still had my cnc machine. I'd set it up to carve these out while I was fishing. I'm really considering getting another machine to play with so I can make similar type stuff for pennies on dollar of what they are charging.

Making the bodies is just part of the deal. Learning to weight them, control ballast etc is where the art goes to another level. Each one can be a different process to get them to perform right. Only way to do it is to lay hands and manually add weight in the right places etc.
Posted By: Brad R

Re: Are you kidding me! - 02/06/16 12:09 PM

Originally Posted By: cfisch007
I'm sorry, but whoever spends $475 on a frickin bass lure is just plain stupid rich, and just plain stupid as well.

Well, again, the lure is quite compelling . . . watch the video.

The price is something almost all of us wouldn't pay. Almost.

But, stupid rich and just stupid? No.

For longer than you have likely been alive, the Neiman Marcus Christmas Catalog has published literally a whole collection of super over-priced stuff. Someone buys it, I suppose.

You are confusing stupidity with human nature. Most all of us have "something" we willingly over-pay for.

Just a guess that very close to 100% of non-fishermen think that 50, 60, 70K or more for a bass boat is criminally insane; yet, we often see people who are not really all that wealthy owning just such vessels.

Agreed, though, on the lure. I still wouldn't pay it.

Brad
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Are you kidding me! - 02/06/16 12:15 PM

Japan already fooled us during Pearl Harbor

Not gonnna let it happen again
Posted By: Lee in Texas

Re: Are you kidding me! - 02/06/16 12:18 PM

OMG OMG This>

God Bless
Lee
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: Are you kidding me! - 02/06/16 12:26 PM

If my wife is along fishing and I hang up one of my $100+ dollar lures, my plan is to tell her I'm ordering another one if she doesn't get it loose! roflmao
Posted By: ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)

Re: Are you kidding me! - 02/06/16 12:53 PM

NO WAY! I could probably fill one of those Plano footlocker size tackle boxes they used to make with the Mann's 20+'s, DD22'S and Poe's Deep Diving Super Cedar crank baits I've lost on Fork and Caney in Louisiana alone...........
Posted By: timwins31

Re: Are you kidding me! - 02/06/16 01:16 PM

What if that lure catches him a 15lb bass? Is he still stupid then?

I've never understood why you guys get all bent out of shape over how a man spends his hard earned money. Some of your heads would explode if you saw the big swimbait arsenal my BIL has. I guarantee he easily has over $10k in swimbaits (its likely a LOT more than that). Ask guys like him, they'll tell you. . .it's an obsession.
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: Are you kidding me! - 02/06/16 01:31 PM

Do they give you hooks with that for $475???
Posted By: moto382

Re: Are you kidding me! - 02/06/16 01:39 PM

I probably have 2-3 grand in swimbaits and that's just lures not counting the rods and reels!! I have close to 200 been throwing them for over 20 years it all started with the original AC plug and I have probably 25 original Allen Cole plugs that were hand made! Please don't start throwing them I like being one of the few that do!! Deps, Rago, 316, Savage Gear they all get used. Right now is the time to start throwing them those big girls love a big 12 inch bait...

Re: Are you kidding me! - 02/06/16 01:43 PM

Originally Posted By: timwins31

What if that lure catches him a 15lb bass? Is he still stupid then?

I've never understood why you guys get all bent out of shape over how a man spends his hard earned money. Some of your heads would explode if you saw the big swimbait arsenal my BIL has. I guarantee he easily has over $10k in swimbaits (its likely a LOT more than that). Ask guys like him, they'll tell you. . .it's an obsession.

I agree. Here is a good example...the price of power poles is way overpriced compared to the price of a throw anchor and that is all they are, but you see them on nearly every boat. I think they have become a status symbol on boats. I see a ton of boats with them but not many people actually using them. Most of the time I see them being used is when someone has already beached the boat and they use it to pin it there while they park the truck and trailer. Pretty expensive piece of equipment just for that.
If you use your power poles for more than that, fantastic, but many do not.

Re: Are you kidding me! - 02/06/16 01:54 PM

That is nothing compared to what some non super rich women will spend on a purse. Ask your wife, see if she knows someone that has one.

http://www.farfetch.com/shopping/women/L...amp;ef_id=UVbad

Posted By: Reds Bass Guide on Sandlin

Re: Are you kidding me! - 02/06/16 03:38 PM

I watched several youtube videos of the Mother and Negotiator (the pros throw them at Fork) So I ask my family to go together and get me one for Christmas last yr. SOLD OUT other dumb a.. out there beat me to it. Go watch some videos, you will want one to.
Posted By: 361V

Re: Are you kidding me! - 02/06/16 04:20 PM

Spend the money on lighter lures. They hurt less when your wife beats you with them! :-)
Posted By: Matty

Re: Are you kidding me! - 02/06/16 09:39 PM

I've got an idea ... I'll make some like this but I'll only charge $400. Taking pre-orders now. wink

Re: Are you kidding me! - 02/06/16 10:25 PM

Dissecting the Mother.These guys cut it open and showed how it was assembled. http://www.tackletour.com/autopsyromanmademother.html
Posted By: MSC

Re: Are you kidding me! - 02/06/16 11:44 PM

Yes $400+ is steep to most but most don't have the right mindset to throw big baits.

What about $150? $100? Is that stupid?

If you knew what it felt like to consistently catch trophy fish you might change your mind.
Posted By: blooper961

Re: Are you kidding me! - 02/06/16 11:48 PM

Please everyone go buy one.Then lose it in shallow water.
The next drought I will wade out and get me an expensive lure for free.
Posted By: blooper961

Re: Are you kidding me! - 02/06/16 11:50 PM

Now that I have been sarcastic.
For 475 dollars I could clean out Walmarts entire lure section.
You can buy a high dollar depth finder cheaper.
This is nuts.
Posted By: tbates

Re: Are you kidding me! - 02/07/16 03:48 AM

i have a 1M dollar GL policy that i dont risk that much on...
Posted By: Jimfishes

Re: Are you kidding me! - 02/07/16 03:52 AM

Originally Posted By: MSC
Yes $400+ is steep to most but most don't have the right mindset to throw big baits.

If you knew what it felt like to consistently catch trophy fish you might change your mind.

Just buy less expensive baits like jigs, big worms, zara spooks, 3/4 oz traps and catch big fish! Location......location!
Posted By: Garvin

Re: Are you kidding me! - 02/07/16 05:56 AM

At 10.5 oz. you would need a surf rod and 80 lb. braided line.
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: Are you kidding me! - 02/07/16 06:33 AM

Braid is often not favored for the high $ lures because it can snap if a backlash or wind-knot occurs (especially due to the high-speed launch, lol). Many big bait guys use mono or copolymer with them.

As for rods, I have a swimbait rod rated to 12 ounces and three others rated to 8-10 ounces. None of mine are as heavy as the Mother, so I'm not pushing the limit of the rod. Lob casting is the order of the day, not the same as with light lures.

Re: Are you kidding me! - 02/07/16 11:13 AM

If I a have to pay $100 to $150 to catch Trophy fish then I am out

I can buy shiners and put them on balloons on Fork and catch trophy bass, Runs about $2 per bait..........
Posted By: 361V

Re: Are you kidding me! - 02/07/16 06:33 PM

Wasn't that long ago that I thought you were foolish for paying $5.00 apiece for live waterdogs to catch a big bass!

Re: Are you kidding me! - 02/07/16 07:42 PM

Isn't the state record from a crappie fisherman using minnows?
Posted By: thedeuce

Re: Are you kidding me! - 02/08/16 08:54 PM

Originally Posted By: RedRanger

I can buy shiners and put them on balloons on Fork and catch trophy bass, Runs about $2 per bait..........

I get it, but by your same mindset you should throw live minnows on the cheapest hooks you can find in the bargain section at Walmart. I have been able and get to fish more than most. I was very reluctant to get into this swimbait game. But here it is. There are stages of a fisherman just as there are stages to hunters.
First stage
You just want to fish. Go through the process and get on the water and do the fishing thing
Second stage
You just want to go fishing and catch fish reguardless of size and or specific species of fish
Third stage ( trophy stage)
You want to catch the biggest fish in the lake and you are targeting one bite and one bite only. You can careless about numbers or keepers or fish you catch. You want to catch a trophy. Yes you can do this with minnows. But that is not really fooling a fish. Throw a real live bait fish that moves and smells looks real because it is real. Just like I don't shoot 150 class bucks anymore because I have done that if I am going to shoot it has to be big. Trophy fishing is a different game.
Forth stage
Full circle just want to go. More about everyone else than yourself just being there is awesome.
Not putting anyone down or talking bad, but really you are trashing guys that are searching for a fish of a lifetime and that is the way they have chosen to go about it. Yes you can catch big fish on jigs, worms, crank baits and whatnot. But you will also catch 1lbers. And if that is what you want good for you.
But truth be know I have 3 dd on a weightless senko, so you can catch them lots of different way.
So please don't call people who throw swimbaits rich stupid people basically your saying
a. Your poor and can't afford it, so that is why the jig is your choice of trophy hunting
B. Your stuck in one mindset, can move outside what you know
C. Not willing to learn a new approach that might take time
D. Your just a jack wad that wants to act like you know more than anyone.
Either way bro they make them and they sell and they catch big bass.
Posted By: Insurance man

Re: Are you kidding me! - 02/08/16 09:26 PM

Im out!
Posted By: Andy W

Re: Are you kidding me! - 02/09/16 02:25 PM

Ridiculous
Posted By: BMCD

Re: Are you kidding me! - 02/09/16 02:43 PM

If it wins tournaments plenty will buy em.
Posted By: thedeuce

Re: Are you kidding me! - 02/09/16 03:33 PM

Originally Posted By: BMCD
If it wins tournaments plenty will buy em.

Not that type of lure. Mindset of throwing these baits is 1 bite big fish in the lake. And yes hard to catch 5 fish of a lifetime in one afternoon. But it has happened
Posted By: InTheClear

Re: Are you kidding me! - 02/09/16 03:35 PM

that lure cost more than a replica of the freaking the fish!

Re: Are you kidding me! - 02/09/16 04:19 PM

Originally Posted By: thedeuce
Originally Posted By: RedRanger

I get it, but by your same mindset you should throw live minnows on the cheapest hooks you can find in the bargain section at Walmart. I have been able and get to fish more than most. I was very reluctant to get into this swimbait game. But here it is. There are stages of a fisherman just as there are stages to hunters.
First stage
You just want to fish. Go through the process and get on the water and do the fishing thing
Second stage
You just want to go fishing and catch fish reguardless of size and or specific species of fish
Third stage ( trophy stage)
You want to catch the biggest fish in the lake and you are targeting one bite and one bite only. You can careless about numbers or keepers or fish you catch. You want to catch a trophy. Yes you can do this with minnows. But that is not really fooling a fish. Throw a real live bait fish that moves and smells looks real because it is real. Just like I don't shoot 150 class bucks anymore because I have done that if I am going to shoot it has to be big. Trophy fishing is a different game.
Forth stage
Full circle just want to go. More about everyone else than yourself just being there is awesome.
Not putting anyone down or talking bad, but really you are trashing guys that are searching for a fish of a lifetime and that is the way they have chosen to go about it. Yes you can catch big fish on jigs, worms, crank baits and whatnot. But you will also catch 1lbers. And if that is what you want good for you.
But truth be know I have 3 dd on a weightless senko, so you can catch them lots of different way.
So please don't call people who throw swimbaits rich stupid people basically your saying
a. Your poor and can't afford it, so that is why the jig is your choice of trophy hunting
B. Your stuck in one mindset, can move outside what you know
C. Not willing to learn a new approach that might take time
D. Your just a jack wad that wants to act like you know more than anyone.
Either way bro they make them and they sell and they catch big bass.

We don't have trophy bass in Texas, compared to other states. Just look the Top 25 bass ever caught, None in Texas.

Biggest bass ever caught here was on live bait.

If I have to spend $100 to $400 on lure to catch a big fish, I will go saltwater and catch Marlins or Sailfish, Something as big as me, that can tail walk for 50 yards on top of water, That is what I call Trophy Fishing.......
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Are you kidding me! - 02/10/16 03:28 AM

That's nuts. But fishermen spend stupid amounts of $ on stuff all the time. A $50k+ 20'+ boat, $2,500 fishfinder, $2,000 power pole, $500 rods/reels, etc. aren't necessary to catch fish. But I agree that we, as human beings, like to overspend on stuff sometimes. You can't take the $ with you when you go. So on one hand, yeah it's insane. On the other hand, if it's between a shot at a monster bass or another half dozen pairs of shoes for my wife, then it doesn't feel quite as extravagant.

For the record, I own a 17' boat with no powerpoles, a $500 fishfinder, and my most expensive reel cost about $125 (rod maybe a hair over $200). So I wouldn't even consider buying these baits, but you know...YOLO
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum