Texas Fishing Forum

Hypothetical Question

Posted By: Huckleberry

Hypothetical Question - 02/05/16 01:28 PM

What if there were a way to rent to own high dollar accessories such as graphs, power poles, trolling motors and such, sorta like a Rent-A-Center for furniture ... think there would be a market for such a thing??
Posted By: bradnitro175

Re: Hypothetical Question - 02/05/16 01:32 PM

Heck Yes, charge double for late payments
Posted By: WillieKetchum

Re: Hypothetical Question - 02/05/16 01:34 PM

Sadly, yes I do think there would be a market for this.
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: Hypothetical Question - 02/05/16 01:35 PM

Too much risk for loss/theft or damage. The wear and tear on such items is completely unpredictable. The items mentioned are in a lot different situation than sitting in an apartment or home like a TV or sofa. The return value would have to be assumed as virtually $0 in the business model, so the rent-to-own price including loss insurance would be cost prohibitive - I would think.
Posted By: Spiderman

Re: Hypothetical Question - 02/05/16 01:36 PM

I've thought the same thing about bass boat rentals. Just bring your gear & go fishing. Most people don't use a boat enough to justify owning it.
Posted By: Hook'Em 79

Re: Hypothetical Question - 02/05/16 01:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Spiderman
I've thought the same thing about bass boat rentals. Just bring your gear & go fishing. Most people don't use a boat enough to justify owning it.

This is me to a T!!! I just like sitting in it in my barn and thinking about fishing!!!!
Posted By: Nutman

Re: Hypothetical Question - 02/05/16 01:46 PM

I have rented a bass boat several times while in-between boats.
Soldiers from Ft Hood rent boats quite often for fishing Belton, my son use to take his platoon there all the time.
Posted By: redskeeter190

Re: Hypothetical Question - 02/05/16 02:51 PM

Just make sure they pay for additional insurance...
Posted By: bass1n

Re: Hypothetical Question - 02/05/16 02:57 PM

Interesting… You would want the items to be professionally installed. How would you deal with returns/upgrades/maintenance?
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Hypothetical Question - 02/05/16 03:00 PM

Once an item becomes part or attached to property then you can't get it back if they don't pay.

Re: Hypothetical Question - 02/05/16 03:11 PM

Originally Posted By: RedRanger
Once an item becomes part or attached to property then you can't get it back if they don't pay.

Take the whole boat ... ?
Posted By: Rhino68W

Re: Hypothetical Question - 02/05/16 03:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Huckleberry

Or include it in the legal paperwork that you have the final authority to seize your property regardless of it's current location.

Re: Hypothetical Question - 02/05/16 03:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Rhino68W

Or include it in the legal paperwork that you have the final authority to seize your property regardless of it's current location.

You can't break laws in order to seize property

Re: Hypothetical Question - 02/05/16 03:23 PM

I would like to think my clientele would be a little more trust worthy than your typical furniture / home theatre rent to own customer.
Posted By: Tracker Tim

Re: Hypothetical Question - 02/05/16 03:26 PM

I dont think many rent-a-center type people own boats.

Re: Hypothetical Question - 02/05/16 03:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Tracker Tim
I dont think many rent-a-center type people own boats.

True.....
Posted By: Fish Killer

Re: Hypothetical Question - 02/05/16 03:41 PM

Sweet! So they can't come get my big flat screen if its attached to the wall?

Re: Hypothetical Question - 02/05/16 03:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Fish Killer

Figured you had this set up:

Posted By: Fish Killer

Re: Hypothetical Question - 02/05/16 04:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Fish Killer

Figured you had this set up:

Heck no, I can't afford a keg..

Im still using a wooden spool for wire.
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Hypothetical Question - 02/05/16 04:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Rhino68W

You can't break laws in order to seize property
So if I hot glue my tire to the ground, they can't come repo my car? I don't see how that is possible...?
Posted By: patriot07

Re: Hypothetical Question - 02/05/16 04:18 PM

To answer the OP's question, I don't think there would be a market for such a thing. The prices you'd have to charge would be cost-prohibitive. Too many variables in how the units get treated, whether or not they get properly installed, etc.
Posted By: RodBreaker CWill

Re: Hypothetical Question - 02/05/16 04:38 PM

I live on Lake Conroe and before I had my ChampioN bass boat I thought about renting a boat one day so my wife and I could go cruise around and do a little fishing. I called a couple different places on the lake and it was like $700 to rent a boat for 4 hours. HELLLLLL No I wasn't paying that much but it sure is amazing to see that every weekend during the summer that every boat (around 30 or so) is rented out. People are stupid to pay that much
Posted By: Ted Martin

Re: Hypothetical Question - 02/05/16 04:53 PM

Originally Posted By: RodBreaker
People are stupid to pay that much

The guy (and there are a bunch of em out there) who buys a brand new boat, makes payments every month, insurance, maintenance and then puts it on the water 3 weekends per year (memorial day,4th july, labor day) is the one i don't get. that's really a lot of $ per hour of usage.
Posted By: JWRid

Re: Hypothetical Question - 02/05/16 05:06 PM

I managed a retail camera store years ago and we rented very high end cameras, lenses, and equipment. Never had a problem with theft but did have the occasional damage that was paid for by insurance purchased at time of rental. IMO, an issue with high end rental equipment on the boat would be lien interest as a boat is titled. Unless any lien on the boat title is subordinated to your ownership/interest in the equipment then that equipment could very well be considered part of the boat.
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Hypothetical Question - 02/05/16 08:46 PM

Hmmmmm, I always considered a credit card kinda like a lay-a-way? hmmm
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Hypothetical Question - 02/05/16 08:54 PM

take boat title as collateral.

If you don't think remt a center people are boat people then you shouldn't even try this. Not all boat people are out buying 70k boats. look at stories of thefts at boat ramps.
Posted By: Andrew Y'Barbo

Re: Hypothetical Question - 02/06/16 09:48 PM

Could I return the graphs on a quarterly increment? Nothing like new fresh electronics. woot
Posted By: WmSmith

Re: Hypothetical Question - 02/08/16 03:13 AM

It's a lot easier to hide a graph or trolling motor then it would be for a washer and dryer
Posted By: ssmith

Re: Hypothetical Question - 02/08/16 03:37 AM

thought that was the way it is now you purchase it use it for 2 yrs if your lucky an if it quits it is a doorstop because instead of most manufacturers repairing them they want to sell you a new one at a meager discount.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum