Texas Fishing Forum

Lake Amistad

Posted By: bballbk

Lake Amistad - 02/04/16 04:29 PM

Hello group,

I am thinking of spending a weekend on Lake Amistad the first weekend of March. I have never been to the lake, and am used to fishing smaller, shallower lakes in the Austin Area (Bastrop, Decker, Fayetteville, Lake Austin) but find it difficult when fishing larger lakes. Anybody have any advice? What type of structure should i target? Should the fish be shallow by then?

Also, I've heard that you can pay a guide to follow them for a day in my own boat. Has anyone done this before? I will only have around 2.5 days on the water and would like to get on them quickly!

Cheers,
Brandon
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Lake Amistad - 02/04/16 11:08 PM

It is a big intimidating lake. If you want simple then just head straight across from the diablo launch.
Or head up and launch at Box Canyon where you can go up the river or back towards the lake (what I'd prefer to do).

Be aware that you can be in 150' deep of water one second and 1' the next. Pay attention to the water color changes.

If you fish Mexico get a liscense.

Getting on the fish quick??? Don't we all wish. whip
Posted By: fishnfireman

Re: Lake Amistad - 02/05/16 01:36 AM

If the weather stays warm they will be up... Either in the visible regrowth brush or on the inside edge of any hydrilla you can find.
I would advise getting a guide if you can-- it is "a big intimidating lake" as Grout-scout said. The fishing is getting better but if you miss the right deal it will humble you.
Posted By: pro dirt raker

Re: Lake Amistad - 02/05/16 03:06 AM

Originally Posted By: grout-scout
Be aware that you can be in 150' deep of water one second and 1' the next. Pay attention to the water color changes.

Have heard this before, makes me reluctant to put my boat on the lake.

Re: Lake Amistad - 02/05/16 03:12 AM

Is the navionics card accurate enough to tell me the depth changes from 150ft to 1ft? Seems like a decept drop off to fish...
Posted By: Caymas Cx 21

Re: Lake Amistad - 02/05/16 03:19 AM

Originally Posted By: pro dirt raker
Originally Posted By: grout-scout

Have heard this before, makes me reluctant to put my boat on the lake.

Been down there the last two weeks and the lake is safe to run just use your map and common sense and go. When the lake was lower it was a little iffy, but now it's simple to run.

Re: Lake Amistad - 02/05/16 03:30 AM

One of the most beautiful lakes in Texas, just watch the weather forecast because you don't want to be up the river and have to cross those open flats in a small boat.

Re: Lake Amistad - 02/05/16 03:35 AM

Thanks for all the help everyone. I just bought a triton tr22 and am trying to learn the lakes and how to catch fish. A little different than kayak fishing.

Re: Lake Amistad - 02/05/16 04:06 AM

Well, you have plenty of boat for the wind. One thing to know, the water is clearer than most lakes and you'll think the fish won't be shallow; but they are there. Used to freak me out when I could see fish 20' deep, I figured there'd be no way that the fish would like in 5' of water, I was wrong.
Posted By: Bodie

Re: Lake Amistad - 02/05/16 01:48 PM

I'm going in 3 weeks I cant wait. haven't been on the water since October. I agree with grout-scout its one of the most beautiful lakes in Texas. fish anything that looks good and stick with natural colors.
Posted By: Bodie

Re: Lake Amistad - 02/05/16 01:48 PM

I'm going in 3 weeks I cant wait. haven't been on the water since October. I agree with grout-scout its one of the most beautiful lakes in Texas. fish anything that looks good and stick with natural colors.

Re: Lake Amistad - 02/05/16 02:05 PM

Originally Posted By: bballbk
Is the navionics card accurate enough to tell me the depth changes from 150ft to 1ft? Seems like a decept drop off to fish...

They Navionics chips I had were not 100% accurate on Amistad.
Be carful if you load at Box Canyon.. There are a couple of long points --- one on each side as you come out that will EAT lower units
Posted By: pil,b

Re: Lake Amistad - 02/05/16 02:23 PM

You need a air boat anyway as far as you go up the river. woot
Posted By: Panhandle

Re: Lake Amistad - 02/05/16 03:25 PM

Now that the lake has stayed pretty stable and the hydrilla is back. I assume the water has cleared back up by now? I haven't been there in 2 years.
Posted By: Bullet20XrD

Re: Lake Amistad - 02/05/16 04:01 PM

I love Amistad, always have. Just use common sense and avoid any loooong points or humps sticking out when running on pad. If you are unsure, just get off pad and idle. You don't need a guide.

There's good fishing all over that lake, you don't have to run a million miles to find them. Across from Diablo is a good place to start, plenty of fish in castle and around that area. Try to find grass or flooded salt cedars on little rocky points.

A simple tx rigged green pumpkin ocho with a 3/16 weight, a Carolina rig with a game hawg in green pumpkin, and a suspending jerkbait in a ghost pattern will get you plenty of bites around any of the cover/structure that the lake has. If they aren't up by the time March gets around, they will be on points heading in to those types of places. If it gets tough, you can always drop shot and catch the snot out of em'. You're probably not going to win any tournaments on those patterns but you will catch plenty of fish and maybe a good one here or there.

I miss the big swimbait days on that lake... man that was fun.

Re: Lake Amistad - 02/05/16 07:19 PM

Originally Posted By: pil,b
You need a air boat anyway as far as you go up the river. woot

You must have me confused with Ray ! frkazoid

Re: Lake Amistad - 02/05/16 07:22 PM

Originally Posted By: Panhandle
Now that the lake has stayed pretty stable and the hydrilla is back. I assume the water has cleared back up by now? I haven't been there in 2 years.

The hydrilla is back but not everywhere.
The lake is pretty clear but not like it has been at times in the past. fish
Posted By: rayers05

Re: Lake Amistad - 02/05/16 11:07 PM

This time of year I used to have a lot of luck fishing wacky worms in watermelon in pockets going up the devils river area. I haven't been back since the big drought a few years back. Spent many an hour idling around the lake after seeing boulders pass under the boat while on plane.

Re: Lake Amistad - 02/06/16 12:56 AM

Originally Posted By: rayers05
This time of year I used to have a lot of luck fishing wacky worms in watermelon in pockets going up the devils river area. I haven't been back since the big drought a few years back. Spent many an hour idling around the lake after seeing boulders pass under the boat while on plane.

Really, I've yet to see a rock while at Amistad. I don't recall ever seeing boulders the size of cars there, odd. peep
Posted By: leethefishking

Re: Lake Amistad - 02/06/16 03:50 PM

If you have never seen boulders at amistad you must be fishing a different lake amistad than the rest of us.
Posted By: pkskeetersr

Re: Lake Amistad - 02/06/16 09:47 PM

long points will get you !!!!!
Posted By: STEVE B

Re: Lake Amistad - 02/07/16 03:24 AM

Pay close attn while running

Re: Lake Amistad - 02/07/16 03:58 AM

That happened when the lake was a lot lower than it is now, by probably 20 ft. It's no where near as difficult to get around.
Posted By: STEVE B

Re: Lake Amistad - 02/07/16 04:09 AM

Think it was 63ft low then..

Re: Lake Amistad - 02/07/16 04:25 AM

Yep, im not sure exactly how low it is now but it's no where close to where it was when that happened.
Posted By: leethefishking

Re: Lake Amistad - 02/07/16 05:41 AM

24.80 feet low.
Posted By: 6BOOMER

Re: Lake Amistad - 02/07/16 11:16 AM

That island is about 35ft under water now.

Re: Lake Amistad - 02/07/16 03:39 PM

The best thing at the present level is MOST humps have some regrowth on top that you can see IF the light is good
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum