Texas Fishing Forum

Sponsorships

Posted By: papamark

Sponsorships - 01/29/16 12:53 PM

Just curious what you guys think of someone who rags on a product on how badly it is made, the quality and drop another sponsor of the same product to get that one and then Say that the one they were bad mouthing is now, The best made out there.
Posted By: Chris_K

Re: Sponsorships - 01/29/16 01:13 PM

I imagine you already know the answer to this.
Posted By: Karl Dietz

Re: Sponsorships - 01/29/16 01:21 PM

Must be a Politician?
Posted By: 921 Phoenix

Re: Sponsorships - 01/29/16 02:05 PM

Well just another person being paid to say what ever his or her current product is. This is nothing new lots of people have done this, not saying its right. You see it a lot in rods as well as baits. I could understand if they were saying well the old brand is still a good product I just like the new one better but they just cannot keep from running down older product when they had used it for years. I think it just shows their true colors and most of the time they were not doing that good for older company any way. Mark I wouldn't let it get to you if this happen to you, their is ten more people that will sale what ever product you are talking or thinking about. just my .02
Posted By: Outdoordude

Re: Sponsorships - 01/29/16 02:30 PM

People with weak character can't help but to make that fact obvious on a regular basis.
Posted By: WillieKetchum

Re: Sponsorships - 01/29/16 02:43 PM

I think no less of them than I do of the guys that advertise all over their jersey, truck, boat and Facebook page for a 10% discount.
Posted By: FLW_01

Re: Sponsorships - 01/29/16 02:55 PM

10% adds up faster than you think. Place an order for a bunch of reels at $299 a piece and then subtract your 10% discount. Hell yeah I will wear a few logos to save money! Think what you want, doesn't keep me up at night.
Posted By: 921 Phoenix

Re: Sponsorships - 01/29/16 03:01 PM

Originally Posted By: FLW_01
10% adds up faster than you think. Place an order for a bunch of reels at $299 a piece and then subtract your 10% discount. Hell yeah I will wear a few logos to save money! Think what you want, doesn't keep me up at night.

I agree with this, ^^^ if you are going to take someone's money to back their product you should wear or do what you agreed to for the 10%, its a great deal for you and the sponsor. What I thought the OP was saying if you go to work for a sponsor and get free stuff why would you then go to someone else and run down the previous sponsor. I think if it was good enough product for you or anyone to use it, then it should still be a good product when you leave to go to another product. You may leave because you think the new product is better which is what you should do, but why do people have to run down first company.
Posted By: David Rush

Re: Sponsorships - 01/29/16 03:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Outdoordude
People with weak character can't help but to make that fact obvious on a regular basis.

Exactly, for me it's fairly easy to differentiate those from the ones with character and integrity. Even though we're flooded with those that aren't helping their brand's identity in this sport there are quite a few that I respect and represent their products well.
Posted By: FLW_01

Re: Sponsorships - 01/29/16 03:41 PM

Originally Posted By: 921 Phoenix

I agree with this, ^^^ if you are going to take someone's money to back their product you should wear or do what you agreed to for the 10%, its a great deal for you and the sponsor. What I thought the OP was saying if you go to work for a sponsor and get free stuff why would you then go to someone else and run down the previous sponsor. I think if it was good enough product for you or anyone to use it, then it should still be a good product when you leave to go to another product. You may leave because you think the new product is better which is what you should do, but why do people have to run down first company.

Right. I wasn't actually referring to bad-mouthing any company in general, whether it be a previous sponsor or whatever. I was just stating that someone's opinion of me wearing logo's for discounts is irrelevant to me and doesn't bother me one bit, so it shouldn't bother anyone else either.

Re: Sponsorships - 01/29/16 04:27 PM

So you're saving $30 per reel. How often do you purchase these "bunch of reels"?

Most prostaff deals require you to work a trade show or two. So by the time you consider your time and expense to a trade show you're basically back to even.

For me, I'll wait for Tackle Warehouse to have their 20% off sales or buy off eBay and not worry with stickers and jerseys.
Posted By: buda13

Re: Sponsorships - 01/29/16 05:13 PM

Originally Posted By: papamark
Just curious what you guys think of someone who rags on a product on how badly it is made, the quality and drop another sponsor of the same product to get that one and then Say that the one they were bad mouthing is now, The best made out there.

I always get a laugh out of that... and over the years I have seen a ton of this. Literally one day brand X is the greatest ever, next day brand X sucks and brand Y is the best ever made. roflmao

Shouldn't it be about promoting or spreading the word about baits you love to fish versus claiming whoever will give you a 10% discount and a sticker for your boat has the best products on the planet?
Posted By: TallBaldCypress

Re: Sponsorships - 01/29/16 05:35 PM

If folks will say and do anything for $20 bucks off imagine what they might do for $50!

People that do what the OP is describing can't be trusted. You can't believe a word they say. About anything. I just let it go in one ear and out the other.

They think they're doing good for their sponsors but I'm over here like "what a douche"
Posted By: Tony_Wornick

Re: Sponsorships - 01/29/16 07:37 PM

Something that was taught to me (whether it's working for fishing companies or my real job), never talk bad about
the competition.
Things do happen where you might switch from brand x to brand y, but don't talk negative about brand x or any other brand. Never know
when you might need to go crawling back.
Posted By: B.Hollingshead

Re: Sponsorships - 01/29/16 08:15 PM

I have had a few sponsors approach me and I have turned them down, #1 reason I'm not a fan or a believer in there products. Not just going to take a sponsorship just to say I have one, and fill people full of lies when I'm not really a fan. The companies I have now I'm a big believer and use there stuff everyday on the water.

To the guy talking about 10% discounts, I had one sponsor that started out at 25% and now is free. Got to start somewhere and work your way up nothing wrong with starting at a 10% discount.
Posted By: Texascajun69

Re: Sponsorships - 01/29/16 08:21 PM

Tony you are dead on. It is okay to talk UP your product, just don't talk DOWN the competition. I don't hold anyone to blame for changing sponsors. This problem is not about the Practice as much as it is about the individual who is doing the practice. The pros who have been around a long time NEVER talks down the competition. We had a saying in the refinery "Don't cuss your water boy, tomorrow he might be your boss!"
Posted By: papamark

Re: Sponsorships - 01/29/16 08:25 PM

I guess this all was a little confusing

First let me say it has nothing to do with my product

You are sponsored by X, but you are saying that Y is cheaply made and a POS. But now you drop X and become sponsored by Y and now you saying Y is the best on the market

Does that help any ? .
Posted By: 04champ

Re: Sponsorships - 01/29/16 10:45 PM

Some people will do anything for money

Some people truly believe in the products they endorse

I would say if it is all about the deal or the money for you, it would be wise to stick to promoting your sponsors and avoid bad mouthing the competition. Some people aren't that smart
Posted By: Finesse EMPEROR/ Dropshot King

Re: Sponsorships - 01/30/16 12:01 AM

Originally Posted By: buda13
Originally Posted By: papamark

I always get a laugh out of that... and over the years I have seen a ton of this. Literally one day brand X is the greatest ever, next day brand X sucks and brand Y is the best ever made. roflmao

Shouldn't it be about promoting or spreading the word about baits you love to fish versus claiming whoever will give you a 10% discount and a sticker for your boat has the best products on the planet?

I agree with this!
Posted By: Mark Jones

Re: Sponsorships - 01/30/16 01:26 AM

Product discounts are NOT sponsorships. Sponsorship is a rights based relationship where an athlete or property is paid. Discounts are just that, simply a discount. At the very best they can be classified as pro staffing. This whole industry dilutes the real value of a true sponsorship to a professional angler through this ridiculous exchange of branding and exposure for a percentage discount on an item.

It's simply insane.

Re: Sponsorships - 01/30/16 03:06 AM

Originally Posted By: Mark Jones
Product discounts are NOT sponsorships. Sponsorship is a rights based relationship where an athlete or property is paid. Discounts are just that, simply a discount. At the very best they can be classified as pro staffing. This whole industry dilutes the real value of a true sponsorship to a professional angler through this ridiculous exchange of branding and exposure for a percentage discount on an item.

It's simply insane.

Yes yes yes!!!!! Finally someone agrees with me.

Let me put it in terms yall will understand easier.

We all know what Vegas is known for - hookers and prostitution. What if out of towners started moving to Vegas and were giving it away for free...or a hugely discounted rate? The "real" hookers and prostitutes are gonna go outta business cuz other people are doing their job for free!!

Moral of the story - don't be a slut.
Posted By: Andrew Y'Barbo

Re: Sponsorships - 01/30/16 04:10 AM

Originally Posted By: WillieKetchum

It's simply insane.

Yes yes yes!!!!! Finally someone agrees with me.

Let me put it in terms yall will understand easier.

We all know what Vegas is known for - hookers and prostitution. What if out of towners started moving to Vegas and were giving it away for free...or a hugely discounted rate? The "real" hookers and prostitutes are gonna go outta business cuz other people are doing their job for free!!

Moral of the story - don't be a slut.

thumb the guys needing sponsors to make things easier running the roads are now forgotten about because the company is getting paid for advertising. If you're a 30%er and distributors get a 50% break. It pays better to have hundreds on "prostaff" than selling to 40 dealers with 5 guys receiving yearly products.
Posted By: CountyStar

Re: Sponsorships - 01/30/16 04:34 AM

This is depressing. I just bought a bunch of apparel on sale from an online tackle store which I will not name and now I can't even wear in public now. It was that one tackle store that is as big as a WAREHOUSE. In my defense I did get a 1% discount.
Posted By: mudd

Re: Sponsorships - 01/30/16 04:37 AM

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vNuJyPotA7w
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: Sponsorships - 01/30/16 08:21 AM

roflmao
Posted By: CrazyCajun

Re: Sponsorships - 01/30/16 11:31 AM

spot on!!

people talk down about brand y while sponsored by X to try to sell it, then see a free dollar and jump to brand Y, now brand Y is and was the best product out and how it is so great and they love it so much haha

I think that is what mark is saying
Posted By: Neal G

Re: Sponsorships - 01/30/16 01:44 PM

It's simply insane.

As someone that watches a lot of the BASS Opens and FLW Series weigh-ins online and other tournaments in person I can say it is not only insane but also an epidemic.
Posted By: Lil' Louie

Re: Sponsorships - 01/30/16 02:18 PM

I dont believe anything another fisherman tells me anyways...
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum