Texas Fishing Forum

Academy Batteries

Posted By: RodBreaker CWill

Academy Batteries - 01/29/16 06:59 AM

Anybody run the Academy brand batteries Exide??? What do you think about them?
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: Academy Batteries - 01/29/16 07:35 AM

My buddy who tried them said "junk".

Re: Academy Batteries - 01/29/16 07:45 AM

So what do yall recommend?? Optima Blue Tops?? How do I know which one of the Blue Tops to pick if I will be using it for my cranking battery and to power electronics?
Posted By: Phoenix 920 Pro xp

Re: Academy Batteries - 01/29/16 07:54 AM

Got 3 years out of my last set. I usually get at least 2 years

Re: Academy Batteries - 01/29/16 08:01 AM

Originally Posted By: Skeeter TZX 200

Exides??
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: Academy Batteries - 01/29/16 09:09 AM

While Optima blue top batteries are good quality, their price doesn't necessarily mean they have more capacity than other batteries available for less money. Optima batteries are sealed, so no electrolyte level checks are required. (Not a big deal to me.) You're paying a lot for that feature, but it doesn't make the battery last longer.

To comprehend cranking ability of a battery, look at CCA/MMA rating where higher is better.
To understand low amp drain support ability, look at Reserve Capacity, where higher is better.

Those two specs will help to compare batteries than price or sheer size. Though, all other things equal, larger batteries do tend to have more capacity. My first recommendation is to go with as big of a battery as you can fit, regardless of the size you have now. Many boats are delivered with a small Group 24 battery. Many of us up-size that to as much as a Group 29 or 31. (31 is generally the same footprint as a 29 but a bit taller).

Posted By: Cactusflyr

Re: Academy Batteries - 01/29/16 10:20 AM

Junk....sides flex in rough conditions. Flexing forces battery acid up and out of cap vents...all over your compartment.

Re: Academy Batteries - 01/29/16 10:39 AM

I'm due for a new cranking battery. After only running my 3 HDS's for about 1 hour my voltage alarm comes on.
Posted By: Lil joe

Re: Academy Batteries - 01/29/16 12:26 PM

I've had a lot better luck with ever starts from walmart. Exides never even lasted 2 years for me. I get 3 to 4 out of the ever starts.
Posted By: Andrew Y'Barbo

Re: Academy Batteries - 01/29/16 12:39 PM

All we sell along with the majority of dealers around here are exides. I use the 27series on everything. Next boat might have a 29 or 31 series.
Posted By: coachallentca

Re: Academy Batteries - 01/29/16 12:53 PM

don't buy exide...Bought some from Academy and after 6 months both went and the company would not stand behind their product. I am glad academy took them back. I called exide and the lady told me not to buy and certain year that they were produced in. She told me that year was a bad year. Never will buy them again.
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Academy Batteries - 01/29/16 01:13 PM

Interstate batteries FTW!
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: Academy Batteries - 01/29/16 01:24 PM

I have Academy Exides on my trolling motor. Came with the boat when I bought it used. Keep em charged and they work great. No telling how old they are. Hahaha. Maybe I should look at changing them. But they work.

Now my little starting battery I bought at BPS in Branson last fall sucks. Badly. I needed one in a pinch. The guy there even said "you'll be sorry". Haha. I am gonna move it to my riding mower.
Posted By: Jimfishes

Re: Academy Batteries - 01/29/16 01:24 PM

I have no experience with Exide, but I'm on my 4th year with Interstates 27 size.
Posted By: EastTexasBassin

Re: Academy Batteries - 01/29/16 01:33 PM

Originally Posted By: RodBreaker
I'm due for a new cranking battery. After only running my 3 HDS's for about 1 hour my voltage alarm comes on.

I know some will tell you that this is a bad idea, but I replaced my cranking battery with a deep cycle about a year ago and it's been great. I can run the lights all morning, the livewell pump and electronics all day, and it still starts right up at the end of the day and my voltage alarm never sounds.
Posted By: Tommy Yetts

Re: Academy Batteries - 01/29/16 02:00 PM

The Blue Optimas will work as long as you use the SC31DM series. They have a MCA rating of 1000 amps. One reason for the Optimas is most have a three year free replacement warranty versus most wet cell batteries are only one year free replacement warranty.
Posted By: TBRanger521

Re: Academy Batteries - 01/29/16 04:11 PM

Sears AGM Platium 31 for my cranking and Interstates for trolling.. Have had good results
Posted By: Topwater2

Re: Academy Batteries - 01/29/16 04:51 PM

I've been using them for 12 years. Sold my last boat with a starting battery that was in it for 5 years. I run a 31 series for my trolling motor it's been in for 4 years, starting battery for 3 years. Interstate left me stranded twice, there was no third time.
Posted By: Phoenix 920 Pro xp

Re: Academy Batteries - 01/29/16 06:28 PM

Originally Posted By: Skeeter TZX 200

Exides??

Yes
Posted By: Hard Rain

Re: Academy Batteries - 01/29/16 06:34 PM

I have an Academny Exide battery for starting but it is their higher end AGM type...no issues so far.
Posted By: nitroslim

Re: Academy Batteries - 01/29/16 08:47 PM

If you can afford the AGM of most brands, go with those. No change in the charger needed. Different type of construction in the battery that stands up better to vibration. I had a set of the cabelas brand in the 27 size last me almost 4 years on the trolling motor.
Posted By: Texascajun69

Re: Academy Batteries - 01/29/16 09:15 PM

I have found construction to be most important because of the pounding they take on a day on the water, but just as important to battery life is to make sure you charge them immediately after use. I know people who part their rig and don't hook up the charger until they are ready to use it again. A maintain type charger (SMART CHARGER) (Minn Kota, BPS. etc) is the best as it will charge your batteries to peak and then monitor them until you use them again. Also, if you have an outboard that has an ECU or boat has power poles on it, the ECU and Power pole Pumps will draw a low current continuously, even if the key is off. This will run down your engine battery if not connected to a maintainer charger. Many boats come with an optional cutoff switch to isolate the battery from the engine, but if you don't have one spend the money for the charger. You will get much better battery life.
Posted By: armadillo joe

Re: Academy Batteries - 01/29/16 10:24 PM

I nave had good luck with Interstate batteries would sure stay away from Neverstarts had one go bad after 2 months and the replacement after about 10 days. After much arguing with some kind of manager I got my money back went down the street and bought an Interstate even paid less lasted over 3 years.
Posted By: SAKS

Re: Academy Batteries - 01/29/16 10:33 PM

I have had the Exide batteries for about a year and no problems to date. Not sure of the truth but I read that a lot of batteries are built same place and a manufacturer sticker is then put on them.
Posted By: 04champ

Re: Academy Batteries - 01/29/16 10:52 PM

Originally Posted By: EastTexasBassin

I know some will tell you that this is a bad idea, but I replaced my cranking battery with a deep cycle about a year ago and it's been great. I can run the lights all morning, the livewell pump and electronics all day, and it still starts right up at the end of the day and my voltage alarm never sounds.

what size engine do you have?
Posted By: JDJ01

Re: Academy Batteries - 01/30/16 12:09 AM

Needed batteries in a pinch last night and got the excides... Prior was ever start ... 4+ years.. For the price and the availablity and not to mention Academy's customer service... I don't feel bad about giving them my business
Posted By: randywillfish

Re: Academy Batteries - 01/30/16 12:15 AM

My skeeter came with Interstate batteries. When those died 3 years later, I went back with Interstate, only bigger. The cranking battery was fine, until I mounted a Lowrance HDS-5. Then it drained too fast. Pull starting the 150 was a chore. Went back with bigger battery, all fixed.
Posted By: WacoHawgCaller

Re: Academy Batteries - 01/30/16 02:53 AM

I am also due for batteries. I bought the bought with two everstarts and a energizer, all everstarts are labeled 3/14 energizer 4/13 is the cranking. Also looking for affordable options.
Posted By: skeeterfan

Re: Academy Batteries - 01/30/16 03:07 AM

I have 2 Exide 115 amp trolling motor batteries from Academy. One was purchased in 2010 and the other in 2013. Both still hold a full charge. I have used them an average of 3 times per month. I use distilled water to keep the fluid level constant and start charging as soon as I put it in storage.

Re: Academy Batteries - 01/30/16 03:16 AM

Originally Posted By: 04champ
Originally Posted By: EastTexasBassin

what size engine do you have?

I have an 08 Champion 210 Elite with a 250 Merc ProXS. 3 HDS graphs and 1 LCX28C for mapping and a Lowrance Point 1 antenna, also a 24 volt trolling motor. No power poles

Re: Academy Batteries - 01/30/16 03:19 AM

Thanks for the great info so far guys. I always plug mine up as soon as I get home and leave it plugged up until I use it again.
Posted By: Lil' Louie

Re: Academy Batteries - 01/30/16 02:30 PM

Thats all Ive ever used. Im terrible with batteries but I usually get two yrs out of em. I did have a problem with my last set but academy replaced em for free. Only problem was the news I got were a yr old on the shelf so now I need new ones again. Thought about the blue tops as well but on one site 50 out of 175 reviews were bad so its just not worth the money or risk to me.
Posted By: JBellZX250

Re: Academy Batteries - 01/30/16 04:10 PM

I am currently still running Everstarts dated 1/12 from Walmart. I charge them after most every use. I can tell the power is a little less but still last through the entire day. I am running 29DCseries for my Trolling and starting with no issues to date. With all the electronics and lights now days I think a deep cycle battery is a necessity for a cranking battery.
Posted By: bell0347

Re: Academy Batteries - 01/30/16 04:28 PM

Properly cared for and depending on how many drain/charge cycles they should last awhile. I have used Exides and Everstarts for years. With typical weekend usage they both have lasted me 2-3 years on average for deep cycles and I usually get another year or so out of my starting battery. I will say that I have an interstate starter in there now that came with the boat and it's going on 6 yrs old. It is just now getting weak. I've read a lot of good things about the Sears AGM batteries but you better have some coin the shell out.
Posted By: Neal G

Re: Academy Batteries - 01/30/16 04:33 PM

Unfortunately the Sears Platinum AGM batteries have been discontinued for several months now
Posted By: KB1953

Re: Academy Batteries - 01/30/16 05:09 PM

Great batteries for the price, been using them for years. Purchased last 3 Deep Cycle 31 for trolling motor on sale for $99.00 each, and always check the dates.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum