Texas Fishing Forum

New Nitro Z21

Posted By: West Texas FX

New Nitro Z21 - 01/28/16 02:49 AM

Nitro's seem to have negative connotations associated with them anytime there is a discussion about Bass Boats
Looking at changes in the 2016 Z series and assuming same TM, electronics, etc.. are they not comparable to Skeeter Zx, Phoenix, or others??
Posted By: James Biggs

Re: New Nitro Z21 - 01/28/16 02:58 AM

I have owned Skeeter, Ranger, Champion, Triton & Nitro. At the end of the day I keep going back to Nitro. I think they are the best value $ for $. If money is no object I'd buy Ranger.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: New Nitro Z21 - 01/28/16 03:02 AM

I have a nitro. It's a 99 model. It is in FAR BETTER condition that most every other boat that I have seen that is similar year. Mine is used 3-4 times a week prefishing and tourney fishing. I'd say, for the money, it is the best choice. Like said, at the end of the day, the only thing different about the boats is the shape of the hull and the price. Everything else is pretty much the same on the boats. Mercury, MinnKota, Flowrite, ,Atwood, etc.

Some of the other brands are prettier. But pretty doesn't catch fish. It catches buyers.
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: New Nitro Z21 - 01/28/16 03:17 AM

To answer your question, No, they're not comparable. The fit and finish is poor at best and yes, I have owned one and I have known several who's are basically poor quality. Carpet coming up within a year or 2, seat seams splitting, screws falling out, fiberglass blistering ....it's poor. They are basically the Hyundai of bass boats. And Steez, I agree, Nitro is a good looking boat, but a boat falling part doesn't get on the water to catch fish. Yours is the exception, not the rule. I'll pass on the Hyundai of bass boats and buy something that was quality made and I won't lose my shirt on resale value.
Posted By: toddfish

Re: New Nitro Z21 - 01/28/16 03:23 AM

Although I've never owned a Nitro, I've fished out of one many times, and I have nothing negative to say about Nitro. Solid boats IMO.
Posted By: nxt

Re: New Nitro Z21 - 01/28/16 03:24 AM

I'm happy with my Nitro. 2016 Z's are nice looking boats!
Posted By: James Biggs

Re: New Nitro Z21 - 01/28/16 03:24 AM

I don't think they are the Hyundai of bass boats. Years ago maybe, the last 10 years they have steadily gotten better. Point A to Point B is all a bass boat really is.
Posted By: Tex20

Re: New Nitro Z21 - 01/28/16 03:32 AM

If a nitro is a Hyundai then a skeeter is a cavalier. They aren't that much better.
Posted By: nxt

Re: New Nitro Z21 - 01/28/16 03:34 AM

My boat is a 2008 "garage kept" 898 model. I don't have any those issues. I've seen some newer "other brand" boat at the ramp in poor condition. To me it's about taking care of your equipment.
Posted By: Kevin Bryant

Re: New Nitro Z21 - 01/28/16 03:41 AM

Originally Posted By: Tex20
If a nitro is a Hyundai then a skeeter is a cavalier. They aren't that much better.

popcorn

Re: New Nitro Z21 - 01/28/16 03:46 AM

roflmao I'm not trying to start a war, and I'm sure Nitro has changed some things recently (they had to), but mine was not good.

Re: New Nitro Z21 - 01/28/16 03:51 AM

Originally Posted By: Frank the Tank
To answer your question, No, they're not comparable. The fit and finish is poor at best and yes, I have owned one and I have known several who's are basically poor quality. Carpet coming up within a year or 2, seat seams splitting, screws falling out, fiberglass blistering ....it's poor. They are basically the Hyundai of bass boats. And Steez, I agree, Nitro is a good looking boat, but a boat falling part doesn't get on the water to catch fish. Yours is the exception, not the rule. I'll pass on the Hyundai of bass boats and buy something that was quality made and I won't lose my shirt on resale value.

Not gonna argue. Your points are mostly valid. Yes, my nitro is screwed together with silicone squirted between the top cap and hull. Yes, it isn't gel coated inside the battery/fuel compartment. My seats and carpet have been replaced once. With VERY high quality carpet and seats. In fact, the carpet is the HIGHEST quality made for boats. Better than what comes on the Z series Rangers. The seats are the same design as Tritons, but with very high grade, UV stable vinyl and thicker poly thread. The figment of parts could be better. But, as a custom high end car builder by trade, the fit and finish is something that I have improved over the years.

End the end....the boat has been very good. Has never had an issue that was caused by Nitros quality. It is always something that is the same identical make and model part that is available on every other boat.

If I had it to do over again, I would choose the same boat. When I buy a new one, it will be another Nitro. I can afford any boat brand available. I just choose to not to spend excess money on a boat that doesn't justify the money. If I can spend $25,000 less than a comparable Ranger by buying a Nitro. Then sell it 5 years from now for $25000 less than a comparable Ranger.....How did I lose? What did I lose?
Posted By: jcarring99

Re: New Nitro Z21 - 01/28/16 04:02 AM

I've had 3 nitros beginning with an '88 that was made in Longview if I remember right. None of them gave me any problems, looked great, rode great and never gave me any problems. are they the best? I doubt it but for the money it's really hard for me to have any negative feelings about them

Re: New Nitro Z21 - 01/28/16 04:06 AM

Hahaha.

Read TonyTigers thread right below this one. His new Skeeters gel coat is cracking like egg shells.

Not my 17yr old Nitro. It looks as good as day one.

Sorry TonyTiger. Not trying to be mean.
Posted By: txmasterpo

Re: New Nitro Z21 - 01/28/16 04:09 AM

Mines a 97....still has every original switch, pump, hose, and carpet..... Must be another exception...
Posted By: David Burton

Re: New Nitro Z21 - 01/28/16 04:09 AM

The seats on the new longer Z-Series look and feel much more supportive than the 2014 and prior Z-9s. Those Low-Back seats were a turn-off. I also was not happy with the potential for problems with the balsa on the deck. It was fiberglass encased, but if one were to drill it to mount something, and not treat it properly, it is a failure point in my mind. Maybe one day they'll get away from their 'plywood is just a composite' mentality of boat building.
Posted By: BrianFox

Re: New Nitro Z21 - 01/28/16 04:13 AM

The new Z series are completely different boat than the Z8 or Z9. Nitro has really stepped up from the old nitro model (Z8 and Z9) to the 2016's. I'm very happy with my Z21 that's for sale compared to my 2015 Z8 I had its a completely different boat that just fishes great and nitro staff listened to people and improved overall

Re: New Nitro Z21 - 01/28/16 04:30 AM

Originally Posted By: txmasterpo

Mines a 97....still has every original switch, pump, hose, and carpet..... Must be another exception...

Haha. Nitro doesn't make the switches, pumps, and hoses....they are the same brands as the super high dollar boats.

Just kidding. My nitro switches, gauges, and wiring is perfect. I "upgraded" my hoses an pumps to have a real recurulation system and pump out years ago. But the original stuff was working fine when I made the mods.
Posted By: txmasterpo

Re: New Nitro Z21 - 01/28/16 04:39 AM

I just meant they built it right Chief......I've upgraded electronics, steering, and trolling motor over the years..... That's it
Posted By: pinesjunkie

Re: New Nitro Z21 - 01/28/16 01:12 PM

You will always have guys like this I would take his wisdom with a grain of salt. I have own them all from triton to rangers, Skeeter and two Nitros, I am running a 2015 z9 and have had it in big water with nothing tearing up but what I do have is about a extra 15 grand in my pocket lol

Re: New Nitro Z21 - 01/28/16 01:23 PM

Originally Posted By: pinesjunkie

You will always have guys like this I would take his wisdom with a grain of salt. I have own them all from triton to rangers, Skeeter and two Nitros, I am running a 2015 z9 and have had it in big water with nothing tearing up but what I do have is about a extra 15 grand in my pocket lol

Exactly. I do "get it". I also find it funny. Once I get to my spots and put down the trolling motor, turn on the graphs, and get out my Steez/Megabass combos, all the advantages of a competitors high priced boat to them become my advantages. I have tons of money to spend on the best tackle, baits, and graphs because I didn't spend it on a new boat with powerpoles that match my seat stiching. I didn't take out a second mortgage to buy my boat so I often will take my boat to spots that I'd be hesitant to go to if I had a $1000 a month payment on it.
Posted By: lipjerk

Re: New Nitro Z21 - 01/28/16 01:51 PM

I have a 2000 929cdx it is built very well and seldom has issues. I run a auto repair shop in Lewisville, so I fix whatever it needs right away. Engine has about 450 hours on it and is strong as an ox. I always get compliments on how clean and how good looking of a boat I have. My buddy just bought a new Basscat, it's much nicer than mine, goes a few miles an hour faster, but that's not worth sixty grand more, to me. YMMV
Posted By: jseago

Re: New Nitro Z21 - 01/28/16 02:07 PM

My O8 z6 is doing great. The heat and drought of summer 2010 and 11 took a toll on my seats. The carpet is still original and doing great. I have had zero issues with any gauges and pumps. It is easy to run, very stable for a 17 and a half foot boat. I have two keyed locks that don't work on the deck and new seats. I spent way less than the next companies 17' boat and wont have to worry about getting a pile of money if I decide to sell it. I have already got what I paid for. I'd buy a new 20 footer in a heartbeat and never look back. If I buy a new boat it'll be a Nitro.
Posted By: stevefromtyler

Re: New Nitro Z21 - 01/28/16 02:11 PM

I say go with what you know...if they are what fits your needs and it works, then good...I wish any boat was as dependable as a Hyundai...absolutely the stupidest comparison to something bad I have ever seen..I have had two in the past, and they NEVER saw the shop except for oil change..most dependable car I have ever had. I have A Nissan Z and Infiniti G and a Chevy truck from 2001 and if I were going to buy a "normal" practical car, it would be that hated Hyundai...lol. I run a Champ from 05, so I can't be a return customer to my brand. My buddy just got in a Nitro. No problems yet, but I will be watching and listening.
Posted By: Tubby

Re: New Nitro Z21 - 01/28/16 02:13 PM

I don't believe you have looked at the new Nitros, especially the Z21. Fit and finish on the new Nitros are no where near the older models. Vast improvements and the performance is great.
Posted By: Nutman

Re: New Nitro Z21 - 01/28/16 02:16 PM

why are you "hating" on the Skeeter for ? I'll put my 2000 ZX185 up against any boat for fit finish and ride.

Originally Posted By: nxt
My boat is a 2008 "garage kept" 898 model. I don't have any those issues. I've seen some newer "other brand" boat at the ramp in poor condition. To me it's about taking care of your equipment.

this is exactly right ..... it is about HOW you take care of your boat.

Now,,,ride....that's another story......but to each his own.
Posted By: BMCD

Re: New Nitro Z21 - 01/28/16 02:18 PM

I have rarely seen issues with the Nitros. Own my Nitros for 2 years, then I sell. Carpet dont come up. Had a gel coat crack or 2 by a cup holder but that is it. But when things do happen they get publicity, way more then others.

Reality is they are all good boats these days. U can spend more if u want. But the diff between spending 8 to 15k more just is not there.
Posted By: JMac-D

Re: New Nitro Z21 - 01/28/16 02:25 PM

I think its a matter of who owns the boat too. Take care of things and they will last.
Posted By: DJB

Re: New Nitro Z21 - 01/28/16 02:39 PM

Love mine ,but I buy on a budget and feel I get more bang for the buck. My boats are always garage kept and regularly maintained. I can use the money I saved on other things. The fish don't seem to care.
Posted By: Tex20

Re: New Nitro Z21 - 01/28/16 02:47 PM

Calm down Nutman. I'm not hating on skeeter. The guy made a comment about Nitro and he has skeeter in his sig line. You can say what you want about the fit and finish of your skeeter, but it isn't a Mercedes (ranger). I don't own a ranger either, but that is the one boat that year in and out stands out and has the resale to prove it. Like many others here, I've been in many different brands of boats, and at the end of the day the skeeter isn't a world above a nitro.
Posted By: bigbassbarry

Re: New Nitro Z21 - 01/28/16 03:00 PM

I have a z8 2013 only complaint I have is the trailer is a piece. Wish I would have ponied up and bought the fiber glass trailer. I had a champion before this z8 is better in all areas except the champion was faster.
Posted By: InTheClear

Re: New Nitro Z21 - 01/28/16 04:03 PM

Buy whatever makes you happy! "If you take care of things they will last you forever," My idea of taking care of things is different from most people!

Re: New Nitro Z21 - 01/28/16 05:04 PM

Originally Posted By: Tubby

I don't believe you have looked at the new Nitros, especially the Z21. Fit and finish on the new Nitros are no where near the older models. Vast improvements and the performance is great.

And I would not argue that point Tubby. I have not looked at a late model 2015 Z9 or 2016 Z21, so in fact I am not speaking from experience with those exact models and would love to take a ride in someone's Z21 and compare.
Posted By: Huckleberry

Re: New Nitro Z21 - 01/28/16 05:17 PM

All ya'lls boats suck except mine!
Posted By: Mike Keenan

Re: New Nitro Z21 - 01/28/16 05:36 PM

My thought is this... I worked at BPS in grapevine for 4 years from 1999-2003 in the service dept. Then nitro was junk but the new ones are pretty much night and day different. I have ran champions, skeeters and my baby the Basscat... I'd be thrilled to run a new nitro any day, espically with a new Mercury on the back
Posted By: BMCD

Re: New Nitro Z21 - 01/28/16 07:49 PM

Love to hear thoughts on what was junk on the 9 series of those years. Those were some good boats. But when you work for a company I guess u get to hear it all.
Posted By: patriot07

Re: New Nitro Z21 - 01/28/16 08:19 PM

If I was in the market today, I would be looking for a used Ranger or a new or lightly used Nitro. I think those are the two best values on the market. I rarely hear bad things about Nitro from people who actually own them and fish out of them.
Posted By: Joey J.

Re: New Nitro Z21 - 01/28/16 08:28 PM

I've own a 2004 Nitro 898 and I couldn't complain about anything. Now if it wasn't paid for and/or I was in the market for a boat I would buy this one:
http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/11374413/1
Posted By: Mike Keenan

Re: New Nitro Z21 - 01/28/16 11:02 PM

Originally Posted By: BMCD
Love to hear thoughts on what was junk on the 9 series of those years. Those were some good boats. But when you work for a company I guess u get to hear it all.

Lots of issues on the first year of the 929... I think the best hull they had at that time was the 901...But if I had to choose one, I'd take the 896, that hull set up with a 200 Opti would fly...
Posted By: Walls

Re: New Nitro Z21 - 01/28/16 11:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Mike Keenan
Originally Posted By: BMCD

Lots of issues on the first year of the 929... I think the best hull they had at that time was the 901...But if I had to choose one, I'd take the 896, that hull set up with a 200 Opti would fly...

I have the 97 model 896....and yes, it will fly.
Posted By: USA-1

Re: New Nitro Z21 - 01/29/16 12:36 PM

What year did you own? You buy new or used?
Posted By: skeeterbugzx300

Re: New Nitro Z21 - 01/29/16 02:05 PM

well I fish out of a skeeter so mine is the best lol.
Posted By: Easy Fisherman

Re: New Nitro Z21 - 01/29/16 02:50 PM

Ask any fiberglass man - like at Toledo bend Joe , lots of rough water to test a boat or Hector at Kilgore Premire fiberglass man for Skeeter and their Elite Team, about the hulls - that is where the money difference is suppose to be and as Joe told me at Toledo bend the Nitro made hull is as good as any except the Bass Cat which is the heaviest of all . All the gauges are the same and if you want a real problem on locks have a Skeeter who bids their hardware out annually and rarely keeps any replacements that go very far back. I have never had a Bass Cat but their carpet is also the heaviest from what the fiberglass boys say . Johnny Morris is already started the change and moved Stratos and Triton out of Flippin More changes on the way for sure, but don't take opinion's , take the hard truth about value , lots of smoke hard for the average person to know , but the fiberglass boys see through it every day
Posted By: Possumkingdomtackle

Re: New Nitro Z21 - 01/29/16 03:15 PM

If Nitro's are so poorly made why do pros like KVD use them the obvious answer would be because they are free but you can't argue that KVD could have any boat he wanted for free
Posted By: Neal G

Re: New Nitro Z21 - 01/29/16 03:27 PM

KVDs boat is tied to his BPS deal. The boat is not "free" for KVD. He is paid to use it. I doubt there is another boat company willing or capable of paying KVD the same or more $ than BPS.
Posted By: M.Matthews U.S.N. 1963-1967

Re: New Nitro Z21 - 01/29/16 04:16 PM

Originally Posted By: skeeterbugzx300
well I fish out of a skeeter so mine is the best lol.

That's too bad... I fish from a Gambler, mine is the best and prettiest !! LOL LOL
Posted By: Troutnout

Re: New Nitro Z21 - 01/29/16 04:30 PM

Well after reading 4 pages of this I think I have the answer the original poster is looking for... The new Nitro is by far the best boaT EVER MADE. It is perfect and will stay perfect. It will not crack like the junkie other manufacturers, and it will ride better than the rest. It also comes with the greatest fit and finish known to man.. However the gauges are all equal........ Ill stick with my Skeeter!!!!
Posted By: petro

Re: New Nitro Z21 - 01/29/16 04:41 PM

Its a fine boat. Buy what you like and dont worry about peoples opinions. Ive owned a fee brands and been in all. They all have pluses and minuses. Nobodys boat is the best.
Posted By: Possumkingdomtackle

Re: New Nitro Z21 - 01/29/16 04:44 PM

Good point I didn't think of it that way
Posted By: USA-1

Re: New Nitro Z21 - 01/29/16 05:26 PM

i have owned new, semi new and 8 to 10 yr old boats. I have had BCB, Skeeters and Rangers. They all have had issues, begin to wear out, fall apart and have issues. I have been in Nitros that were rough but the owners
never covered them. And I have fished in some that were taken care and were holding up fine. Maybe the older model Nitros (90s) didn't have quality built into them that they have now and believe they have come a long way. I wouldn't hesitate getting into a nitro. The layouts are not great, but they are not bad either and they ride just fine for a bass rig. Nitros don't hold their value as well so you can a lot of boat for your money.
Posted By: Tubby

Re: New Nitro Z21 - 01/29/16 07:20 PM

The new Z 21 is pretty awesome.
Posted By: Texascajun69

Re: New Nitro Z21 - 01/29/16 08:14 PM

I think every brand boat out there can make a lemon. Just like cars. I have owned both a 2010 Z8 and a 2014 Z9. No stress cracking on either one. My oldest son has Nitro (17 ft) that is about 9 yrs old with no stress cracking.

The only issue I had with either of my boats was the seats on my Z9 started to pull apart in the seams after one year. My boat has always been garage kept under a cover. I contacted Bass Pro shops where I bought it and they asked me to send them some pictures. 2 days later Nitro called me and said they were replacing all of the seats. 3 weeks later the dealer called, said they had the new seats in, and ask me to bring in my boat. They had it 1 day and it was returned with Brand new seats.

To me it is not whether a mfg. made a mistake but how quick or they to admit it and remedy it. Nitro has my vote.
Posted By: skeeterbugzx300

Re: New Nitro Z21 - 01/30/16 03:17 AM

looked at a new nitro z21 today, nice looking boat the fit & finish was just as good as the rest imo, I own a skeeter but if I was going to buy a new boat I would look at all of them.
Posted By: Fishspanker

Re: New Nitro Z21 - 01/30/16 03:22 AM

If it's as good as the Hyundai Genesis my wife has you should buy it.

Re: New Nitro Z21 - 01/30/16 03:45 AM

That's it! Now ya'll have pizzed me off....... I'm buyin a Nitro! grin
Posted By: Garvin

Re: New Nitro Z21 - 01/30/16 03:45 AM

Bill Wilcox uses one. KVD uses one. Rick Clunn uses one. Edwin Evers does too. All of those boys seem to do pretty good with them and it appears fishing from a Nitro doesn't have much of a negative impact on their catch rates. Just sayin...
Posted By: RedEar12

Re: New Nitro Z21 - 01/30/16 03:59 AM

I would run one.
Posted By: Dubee

Re: New Nitro Z21 - 01/30/16 07:22 AM

Originally Posted By: Garvin
Bill Wilcox uses one. KVD uses one. Rick Clunn uses one. Edwin Evers does too. All of those boys seem to do pretty good with them and it appears fishing from a Nitro doesn't have much of a negative impact on their catch rates. Just sayin...

No boat has anything to do with catching fish. But getting paid to run one vs buying one is a little different.
Posted By: Neal G

Re: New Nitro Z21 - 01/30/16 02:05 PM

Some of us have seen their (KVD, Clunn, Evers) boats up close and frequently over the years and after less than one years' use. It was not always pretty. I can not speak for the new Nitros - they could be fine but many of the older ones had quality of materials & construction issues and it was not from one bad batch of resin or vinyl or carpet.

I would like to see one of the boat (or other) companies to use one or more of their pros to run the same boat, motor, trolling motor and electronics for 3 to 5 years and lets see the results. It would not be a perfect scenario by any means because of boat wraps and etc. but they could be open with what repairs were needed.

I know this is not going to happen so I will stop dreaming about it.
Posted By: lamoon78

Re: New Nitro Z21 - 01/30/16 02:12 PM

When you get paid to run one and get a new one every year Im sure you would to.
Posted By: Lee in Texas

Re: New Nitro Z21 - 01/30/16 02:23 PM

From the features I see on the one Wilcox is using, I like it. If I were to ever buy a new rig, would sure consider a Nitro..especially like the look of the wide front deck and tool holders, cup holder,etc.
Ranger is top of the line but EXPENSIVE...
JMO

Re: New Nitro Z21 - 01/30/16 03:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Neal G

Some of us have seen their (KVD, Clunn, Evers) boats up close and frequently over the years and after less than one years' use. It was not always pretty. I can not speak for the new Nitros - they could be fine but many of the older ones had quality of materials & construction issues and it was not from one bad batch of resin or vinyl or carpet.

I would like to see one of the boat (or other) companies to use one or more of their pros to run the same boat, motor, trolling motor and electronics for 3 to 5 years and lets see the results. It would not be a perfect scenario by any means because of boat wraps and etc. but they could be open with what repairs were needed.

I know this is not going to happen so I will stop dreaming about it.

It can't with Nitro. They'd be out of business if the world got to see what happens after 3-5 years of abuse. bolt
Posted By: TTU33

Re: New Nitro Z21 - 01/30/16 03:37 PM

I've owned two Nitros, a 911CDC for 9 years, them sold for half of what I paid for it. And now a Z9 for 3 years. Love them both and had no issues that could be attributed to Nitro. Issues with batteries, TM, electronics, etc...but nothing concerning the boat itself. Can't beat them for the $$ in my opinion.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum