Texas Fishing Forum

IF!!! you're gonna keep your fish what is the biggest you would bring home?

Posted By: cowboyfishslayer

IF!!! you're gonna keep your fish what is the biggest you would bring home? - 01/27/16 09:36 PM

Went to my buddies stock tank in Milsap this past weekend and we caught and fried up some largemouth for dinner. MAN IT WAS DELICIOUS!!! White and flaky like crappie with no fish taste whatsoever.. I usually practice cpl with bass but I was just curious IF you do taske some home to the fam damily how big should they be to make you say "no... this one goes back home to make more big gurls?"
Posted By: bogey♂

Re: IF!!! you're gonna keep your fish what is the biggest you would bring home? - 01/27/16 09:44 PM

3 & under for the pan and anything over goes back.
Posted By: fouzman

Re: IF!!! you're gonna keep your fish what is the biggest you would bring home? - 01/27/16 09:47 PM

Depends on the fishery. I fish one private lake where anything under 7 lbs gets culled but it's an exception to the rule. Most ponds I have helped manage we keep every bass 14" or less. At Lake Fork, anything under 16 inches.
Posted By: buda13

Re: IF!!! you're gonna keep your fish what is the biggest you would bring home? - 01/27/16 09:59 PM

When we go out with the intention of keeping some its typically under 18" fish. I wont lie though... there have been a few times 5 - 6 lb fish have been made into bass nuggets.

Re: IF!!! you're gonna keep your fish what is the biggest you would bring home? - 01/27/16 10:08 PM

that's all good info 3 sounds like a pretty good barometer depending on the water body. I fish a lot on marine creek and I need to catch a 3 before I can release one I guess lol!!!
Posted By: COHLMEYER

Re: IF!!! you're gonna keep your fish what is the biggest you would bring home? - 01/27/16 10:32 PM

Originally Posted By: buda13
When we go out with the intention of keeping some its typically under 18" fish. I wont lie though... there have been a few times 5 - 6 lb fish have been made into bass nuggets.

So that's what happened to all the monsters that lived in Lake Worth!

roflmao
Posted By: KutTail71

Re: IF!!! you're gonna keep your fish what is the biggest you would bring home? - 01/27/16 10:34 PM

3 lbs and under for me
Posted By: jigging

Re: IF!!! you're gonna keep your fish what is the biggest you would bring home? - 01/27/16 10:42 PM

nothing over 3#'s in my boat unless you mounting it
Posted By: Finesse EMPEROR/ Dropshot King

Re: IF!!! you're gonna keep your fish what is the biggest you would bring home? - 01/27/16 10:49 PM

I would rather eat long john silvers js...
Posted By: stetson

Re: IF!!! you're gonna keep your fish what is the biggest you would bring home? - 01/27/16 10:57 PM

Every size talipa I shoot at squaw, any size bass is released there's better fish to eat than bass anyway
Posted By: Der Vorsteher

Re: IF!!! you're gonna keep your fish what is the biggest you would bring home? - 01/27/16 11:28 PM

I will eat and skin mount my first DD. I want to enjoy to the fullest extent.

sarcastic

In all seriousness depending on the lake I may keep some 2 pounders. Seem to be the right size for easy fillets and taste.
Posted By: toddfish

Re: IF!!! you're gonna keep your fish what is the biggest you would bring home? - 01/27/16 11:36 PM

I typically release everything, but if I have someone with me who wants to keep some, they wouldn't be much over the 2lb range.
Posted By: Bruce Bullard

Re: IF!!! you're gonna keep your fish what is the biggest you would bring home? - 01/27/16 11:43 PM

Depends on population of fish and never have kept many over 2 1/2 lbs
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: IF!!! you're gonna keep your fish what is the biggest you would bring home? - 01/28/16 12:41 AM

Well. I absolutely hate the taste of just about any fish....so they ALL GO BACK. Now give me a shrimpin net like bubba gump and I'm taking it all home to eat.

Saying that, I have given some of my catch to people that can't fish. (Older folks) I've also been known to keep an over every now and then to put into my pond. So I have something to catch when I get bored on a non boating day.
Posted By: Skeeter443

Re: IF!!! you're gonna keep your fish what is the biggest you would bring home? - 01/28/16 01:00 AM

I seldom keep fish but never anything over 2 pounds.
Posted By: Neal G

Re: IF!!! you're gonna keep your fish what is the biggest you would bring home? - 01/28/16 01:31 AM

I do not keep any bass to eat but would suggest those fishing Rayburn and Toledo to take the Spots home with you.
When I fish Conroe the big ones come home to be released in my neighborhood lake. I have to keep the poachers fed mad
Posted By: gpbassbuster

Re: IF!!! you're gonna keep your fish what is the biggest you would bring home? - 01/28/16 01:58 AM

me too, i dont like to eat fish (of any kind) unless i am starving and there is nothing else-then i drown it in catchup! so they all go back. (its not like i catch that many anyway!)
Posted By: bbassfishes

Re: IF!!! you're gonna keep your fish what is the biggest you would bring home? - 01/28/16 02:12 AM

Nothing goes home. Have a measuring tape in my boat and a smart phone. Can get me a replica just like that. No need to remove something so big that will reproduce and create more that size, and no need to remove something that can grow up to get that size.
Posted By: Razorback

Re: IF!!! you're gonna keep your fish what is the biggest you would bring home? - 01/28/16 02:42 AM

Originally Posted By: toddfish
I typically release everything, but if I have someone with me who wants to keep some, they wouldn't be much over the 2lb range.

Same here. One guy I fish with occasionally likes to take some home for the frying pan. If that's the case only the smaller keepers get taken out. I haven't personally kept any bass in at least 10 years.
Posted By: timwins31

Re: IF!!! you're gonna keep your fish what is the biggest you would bring home? - 01/28/16 03:18 AM

Nothing over 2-2.5lbs. But I release everything too. I don't eat freshwater fish.
Posted By: SkeeterRonnie

Re: IF!!! you're gonna keep your fish what is the biggest you would bring home? - 01/28/16 03:29 AM

2-3 pound spotted bass from Cypress Springs
Posted By: Lil joe

Re: IF!!! you're gonna keep your fish what is the biggest you would bring home? - 01/28/16 09:49 AM

Originally Posted By: bbassfishes
Have a measuring tape in my boat and a smart phone. Can get me a replica just like that. No need to remove something so big that will reproduce and create more that size, and no need to remove something that can grow up to get that size.

I have tried this twice now and got 2 disappointments. They turned out nothing like the pictures. When I lived near a slot lake I loved taking home a limit of 12-14 inchers and frying them up right then. As good as crappie.
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: IF!!! you're gonna keep your fish what is the biggest you would bring home? - 01/28/16 10:56 AM

We used to bring the unders home from Monticello in the winter time.

Always had a good flavor
Posted By: Delvec

Re: IF!!! you're gonna keep your fish what is the biggest you would bring home? - 01/28/16 12:00 PM

Filet her out and ate on her for weeks.Yum-Yum. fish
Posted By: Dbranch3

Re: IF!!! you're gonna keep your fish what is the biggest you would bring home? - 01/28/16 02:25 PM

Same here 3 lbs or under, 12"-14" fish are best for the fryer, but I usually cook catfish instead of bass, I just feel guilty filleting bass, but I do it from time to time

Re: IF!!! you're gonna keep your fish what is the biggest you would bring home? - 01/28/16 05:37 PM

Originally Posted By: Dbranch3
Same here 3 lbs or under, 12"-14" fish are best for the fryer, but I usually cook catfish instead of bass, I just feel guilty filleting bass, but I do it from time to time

I get both sides... I was always raised to respect all wildlife and if you harvest it, don't waste it. imho as long as you follow the rules and enjoy it, SHINE'EM!!!
Posted By: tincan86

Re: IF!!! you're gonna keep your fish what is the biggest you would bring home? - 01/28/16 05:39 PM

if it is under 10 pounds I don't keep it
Posted By: Chris G

Re: IF!!! you're gonna keep your fish what is the biggest you would bring home? - 01/28/16 05:58 PM

I have kept many spotted bass on Cypress Springs but nothing over 2#...they eat just like crappie if you eat them fresh.
Posted By: TexasTechliprip

Re: IF!!! you're gonna keep your fish what is the biggest you would bring home? - 01/28/16 06:06 PM

I dont ever keep any, But I think we would all benefit from the culling of fish under 3lbs

The little guys are the more aggressive fish that get much of the bait in the water
Posted By: timwins31

Re: IF!!! you're gonna keep your fish what is the biggest you would bring home? - 01/28/16 07:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Delvec

Old enough to collect SSI and still trolling. Man you must have a horrid life.
Posted By: forkduc

Re: IF!!! you're gonna keep your fish what is the biggest you would bring home? - 01/28/16 07:13 PM

We keep the under on Fork .
Posted By: forkduc

Re: IF!!! you're gonna keep your fish what is the biggest you would bring home? - 01/28/16 07:15 PM

Might keep that quiet! Its illegal to do.
Posted By: JacksonBean

Re: IF!!! you're gonna keep your fish what is the biggest you would bring home? - 01/28/16 07:38 PM

Originally Posted By: cowboyfishslayer
Went to my buddies stock tank in Milsap this past weekend and we caught and fried up some largemouth for dinner. MAN IT WAS DELICIOUS!!! White and flaky like crappie with no fish taste whatsoever.. I usually practice cpl with bass but I was just curious IF you do taske some home to the fam damily how big should they be to make you say "no... this one goes back home to make more big gurls?"

Hey Cowboy,

We fish a lot of lakes where removing the bass of a certain size is mandatory. Typical culling is of 14 inches and below but people wanting a trophy fishery move that up to 16 inches or higher, depending on the circumstances. Like Fouz said, we have one friend who removes anything 7 lbs and below so his big fish have less competition for food. Sounds bizarre but it works.

My typical fishing partner really enjoyed frying them up for his family or employees so he typically takes them. When he's not with me I just throw them in the livewell and pitch them on the bank later if I can't find anyone to take them.

But more to your question..... If we catch a 15 inch fish that is an absolute stud on the relative weight index that is surely young and growing rapidly, I will gladly not cull it and take out a 16.5 incher that is thin and not nearly as healthy. The numbers still add up and I want as many potential big mammas swimming around as possible. So if I were at your buddy's pond I'd probably do the same.... Fat fish get a second chance and the skinny ones are coming out, no matter the size.

Skinny fish typically aren't on their way to becoming wall mounters. food
Posted By: Chris B

Re: IF!!! you're gonna keep your fish what is the biggest you would bring home? - 01/28/16 08:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Delvec

Now were talking fish fry. I had a 10 pounder go belly up at Amistad. Caught her in 40 foot of water. Tried to needle her but she died fairly quickly. Filleted her up and had her for dinner.
Posted By: stratos1760dv

Re: IF!!! you're gonna keep your fish what is the biggest you would bring home? - 01/29/16 04:21 AM

I just wonder if the biologists like Mr Driscoll, who is a heck of a fisherman, thinks all legal fish should be kept in order to better all the public fisheries? Lots of factors and fishing pressure has to be a large factor since it would change mortality of the targeted fish. I always hear private ponds managed by taking every fish under a certain size out. I assume this is due to a lack of fishing pressure/predation. In some states you can't target bass during the spawn. It would kill the needed economy and would suggest it for TX lakes that have guides relying on the fisheries for a living. It would be interesting if for just a few small or medium size lakes would be off limits during the spawn what it would do for the fishery. It would also be interesting if TPWD worked fishermen and marked hot spots to catch the different species of fish. I think it would grow the sport exponentially. If I were a bass boat dealer or any biz selling fishing stuff, I would want a few lakes in dfw where anyone could go and catch fish without knowing much more than how to cast, tie a knot, and put a bait on a hook.
Posted By: trackerman.

Re: IF!!! you're gonna keep your fish what is the biggest you would bring home? - 01/29/16 07:49 AM

EAt CRAPPIE, they'er better tasting in my opinion. Besides, ain't never seen one get to be 10# plus...lol
Posted By: Pufferfish

Re: IF!!! you're gonna keep your fish what is the biggest you would bring home? - 01/29/16 09:55 AM

Man...i keep EVERYTHING!! I LOVE fresh fish!!! fish
Posted By: Dubee

Re: IF!!! you're gonna keep your fish what is the biggest you would bring home? - 01/29/16 12:16 PM

Originally Posted By: forkduc
Might keep that quiet! Its illegal to do.

What is?
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum