Texas Fishing Forum

Best baitcaster/rod combo to start a 6 yr old on?

Posted By: Thunderbolt

Best baitcaster/rod combo to start a 6 yr old on? - 01/22/16 05:24 PM

My 6 yr old is starting to show more interest in bass fishing and I'm wanting to get him a good combo to bass fish with. He has a lews baitcaster that he sandbass fishes with but I believe it's too long of a rod for him to cast. Any suggestions on rod lengths, action and reels?
Thanks,
Weston.
Posted By: SAKS

Re: Best baitcaster/rod combo to start a 6 yr old on? - 01/22/16 06:03 PM

My son learned on a black max/all star setup. His was 6ft. This is an original all star rod I used to use.There was no tip ratings back then. It was soft enough he was able to load it up. That would be the key thing to me is making sure the tip action isn't to stiff. I would say something moderate to moderate fast. Since there is no guidelines for rod actions they will vary from company to company. One rod that comes to mind is Falcon but I don't know if they make a 6ft rod. Their medium power/moderate action rods are very castable. As far as reels find one that fits his hand as good as possible. I am an Abu and Ardent guy but they are all good just find a fit. The best option would be a dual magnetic brake reel.
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: Best baitcaster/rod combo to start a 6 yr old on? - 01/22/16 07:02 PM

Daiwa Laguna

Here's a great starter reel for the young fella. It's gonna have everything he'll need to build confidence in using a baitcaster. It's gonna have a good, strong drag, a nice and smooth retrieve, and he's gonna be able to cast it real easy. Best of all, it's inexpensive.

Shimano Sellus

And here is his rod. This rod is lightweight and packed full of features. And like the reel, it's inexpensive.
Posted By: Joey J.

Re: Best baitcaster/rod combo to start a 6 yr old on? - 01/22/16 08:07 PM

Here is Falcon Rods website for the HD series. It shows the "Action" and "Flex" rating for each rod. My suggestion would be to go with a 6'6" rod, Medium to Medium Heavy action and definitely a Medium to Medium Fast flex. This is a rod he could throw small spinnerbaits, crank baits, small jigs and T-Rigs on. It will also be a useful rod when he gets older.

http://falconrods.com/hd.html
Posted By: DAN-O

Re: Best baitcaster/rod combo to start a 6 yr old on? - 01/22/16 09:39 PM

Doesn't matter. Just make sure you use black electrical tape on the spoil while he is learning. The tape will keep him from backlash in bad and getting frustrated. Start with about 20 feet of line out before the tape and gradually lengthen the line and retake as he gets used to thumbing it. That is how we teach kids at school to keep from digging out backlashes all day.
Posted By: cove_crawler

Re: Best baitcaster/rod combo to start a 6 yr old on? - 01/22/16 10:10 PM

I know this is a little off topic, but at what age did you guys get your boys fishing for the first time? I just can't wait to get my boy on the water, but I've got a ways to go.
Posted By: SAKS

Re: Best baitcaster/rod combo to start a 6 yr old on? - 01/22/16 10:18 PM

My son started going with me at 7. That's about the time he showed interest in going. If you want him to really love fishing start out with sandbass or striper fishing. Something you can catch a lot of and they will never look back. If you only go bass fishing they tend to get bored because of slow action.
Posted By: ezbassin

Re: Best baitcaster/rod combo to start a 6 yr old on? - 01/22/16 10:31 PM

Find a short rod and Zebco 33 or try a spinning outfit. Let him pick it out at the store.
Posted By: 361V

Re: Best baitcaster/rod combo to start a 6 yr old on? - 01/22/16 11:02 PM

Let him use whatever reels you use/like on a shorter(6') limber rod till he figures it out.
Posted By: horseplaydvm

Re: Best baitcaster/rod combo to start a 6 yr old on? - 01/23/16 01:12 AM

Originally Posted By: 361V
Let him use whatever reels you use/like on a shorter(6') limber rod till he figures it out.

This is what I did with my son since he was 5, he is now almost 8. I initially used a 6'6" rod with one of my reels ( pflueger patriarch ) because I have reels with double braking systems which help prevent him from backlashing as much. Now he uses whatever rods I have plus he has a couple of 7' rods with nice reels of his own.
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: Best baitcaster/rod combo to start a 6 yr old on? - 01/23/16 02:26 AM

Originally Posted By: DAN-O
Doesn't matter. Just make sure you use black electrical tape on the spoil while he is learning. The tape will keep him from backlash in bad and getting frustrated. Start with about 20 feet of line out before the tape and gradually lengthen the line and retake as he gets used to thumbing it. That is how we teach kids at school to keep from digging out backlashes all day.

Thanks for this practical tip! I have a 6 year old grandson who will be ready for a baitcaster this summer. Both grandsons were casting a Zebco by age 4, which I was surprised they could do (rod about 5'). Both started going out on the boat by age THREE when I could plan trips that would not be too long for them. They have never complained. This year we will start making longer trips.
Posted By: Thunderbolt

Re: Best baitcaster/rod combo to start a 6 yr old on? - 01/23/16 02:56 AM

Great info guys! Thanks. My boy has been in a boat since 4 yr old and has never once said lets go home. Like someone mention above, I'm a sandbass fisherman so that's what we did and he got hooked from the age of 4. In fact, we got this boat 2 yrs ago for Christmas (he asked Santa Claus for it) and had it on the water a couple months later ( I believe it was in Feb, on a nice day). We launched the boat at noon and at midnight I said, "dude, it's time to go home", we hadn't caught a fish all day long. And he started cry and pitching a fit, like a 4 yr old does, not wanting to go home. I knew then, he had it in his blood.
Now I think is time to start him on a baitcaster ( great tip Dan-O, thanks).
Here is his PB largemouth, caught sandbass fishing a slab this fall
Posted By: 1farmer

Re: Best baitcaster/rod combo to start a 6 yr old on? - 01/23/16 04:48 AM

I would start him on a 5 ft. or 5 1/2 foot rod, the reel should be one that has dual breaking that you can adjust to cast without having to thumb till he gets used to it.
Posted By: JMac-D

Re: Best baitcaster/rod combo to start a 6 yr old on? - 01/23/16 10:09 PM

Originally Posted By: DAN-O

Ill have to try that, my sons 7. Thanks for tip
Posted By: BrianTx01

Re: Best baitcaster/rod combo to start a 6 yr old on? - 01/24/16 11:27 PM

Originally Posted By: cove_crawler
I know this is a little off topic, but at what age did you guys get your boys fishing for the first time? I just can't wait to get my boy on the water, but I've got a ways to go.

Two.

Re: Best baitcaster/rod combo to start a 6 yr old on? - 01/24/16 11:37 PM

And that is actual fishing...both of mine where on the boat at 6 months.

Re: Best baitcaster/rod combo to start a 6 yr old on? - 01/24/16 11:39 PM

I would start with a baitcaster and then move to a spinning reel. I have spent a lot of time as a youth coach and most 6 year olds do not yet have the coordination to operate a baitcaster.
Posted By: beeflover

Re: Best baitcaster/rod combo to start a 6 yr old on? - 01/25/16 02:37 AM

I'd get him a 7' mh Loomis with a Lew's or Curado, then I would use this stick all the time pitchin jigs or tossin frogs while the kid tangles up his well abused zebco.

Another set up I've had good luck with is, first get a little fish in your live well like a sunny etc then just give the kids any kinda stick so he/she can chase it around and stab it. This is good for at least 2 hours peace in the front of the boat. Toss in some pop and munchies and the kids have so much fun they might actually wanna come out again with you.

An if this aint fun bring up here to MN and we'll take em ice fishin!
Posted By: Jaguar6

Re: Best baitcaster/rod combo to start a 6 yr old on? - 01/25/16 04:24 AM

I know its not a top quality but my dad bought my first baitcaster at 7 years old and he bought me a pfluger president reel w/ matching rod combo. I absolutely loved it and it was real easy to figure out for me.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum