Texas Fishing Forum

Humminbird 1199 Vs. Bug Spray/DEET

Posted By: NickHasty

Humminbird 1199 Vs. Bug Spray/DEET - 01/20/16 03:59 AM

Last summer I was trying to spray bug spray on ME, but some of it drifted off, on to my hummingbird 1100 head unit. The screen is unaffected, however the plastic around the screen there are hundreds of small, white unsightly specks.

AGAIN, the SCREEN is OKAY.

Humminbird responded to this question by giving me info on how to care for my screen, the screen is FINE.

its purely cosmetic.

I've tried Dawn dish soap, simple green...no luck. Any other suggestions? Don't really want to paint it.

Posted By: Mark Perry

Re: Humminbird 1199 Vs. Bug Spray/DEET - 01/20/16 04:04 AM

Originally Posted By: NickHasty
Last summer I was trying to spray bug spray on ME, but some of it drifted off, on to my hummingbird 1100 head unit. The screen is unaffected, however the plastic around the screen there are hundreds of small, white unsightly specks.

AGAIN, the SCREEN is OKAY.

Humminbird responded to this question by giving me info on how to care for my screen, the screen is FINE.

its purely cosmetic.

I've tried Dawn dish soap, simple green...no luck. Any other suggestions? Don't really want to paint it.

Bet you can get it hydrodipped fairly cheap.

Re: Humminbird 1199 Vs. Bug Spray/DEET - 01/20/16 04:15 AM

I was hoping for something simple, but maybe that's an option?
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: Humminbird 1199 Vs. Bug Spray/DEET - 01/20/16 04:18 AM

Wayne P will probably know the answer, but I think those may not come off
Posted By: Bruce's

Re: Humminbird 1199 Vs. Bug Spray/DEET - 01/20/16 04:20 AM

I would try a small amount of armor all type stuff. It should make it shine. I assume the white spots is caused because of the oil from the plastic being dried out
Posted By: txmasterpo

Re: Humminbird 1199 Vs. Bug Spray/DEET - 01/20/16 04:22 AM

Nothing will work.....get some coverage with some carbon fiber stick on material I've seen on here.....I just took a black sharpie to mine though

Re: Humminbird 1199 Vs. Bug Spray/DEET - 01/20/16 04:25 AM

its strange, you run your finger nail over the white spots, and it doesn't feel like its pitted at all, just cant get rid of them.

Re: Humminbird 1199 Vs. Bug Spray/DEET - 01/20/16 04:33 AM

Google 3M carbon fiber vinal.....it'll look cool

Re: Humminbird 1199 Vs. Bug Spray/DEET - 01/20/16 04:37 AM

mark do you know who does this hydro dipping?

Re: Humminbird 1199 Vs. Bug Spray/DEET - 01/20/16 04:45 AM

http://www.fortworthhydrographics.com/hydrographicsgallery.html

Re: Humminbird 1199 Vs. Bug Spray/DEET - 01/20/16 04:49 AM

has anyone had their head unit dipped in that stuff...seems crazy!

been thinking about going to the craft storing and getting some of those real fine tipped paint pens and filling the dots in.
Posted By: Superslab

Re: Humminbird 1199 Vs. Bug Spray/DEET - 01/20/16 08:49 PM

I did the same with my old Humminbird unit. I used WD40 and it reduced the white dots a good bit but you really have to work it into the texture of the plastic. Other solvents may also work like nail polish remover, or Goof Off - but I'd be careful and try a small test spot on the back of the unit to see if it damages the plastic.

Re: Humminbird 1199 Vs. Bug Spray/DEET - 01/20/16 09:16 PM

that sounds like a better alternative to 410.00 for Humminbird to replace the Housing, its just a look thing, I aint paying that kind of money.
Posted By: Lake Fork Guide Marc Mitchell

Re: Humminbird 1199 Vs. Bug Spray/DEET - 01/20/16 09:37 PM

steel wool. Just lightly rub each spot away.
Posted By: RodBreaker CWill

Re: Humminbird 1199 Vs. Bug Spray/DEET - 01/20/16 10:32 PM

why not just cover the screen and spray the chit out of it and then it will be all white thumb

Re: Humminbird 1199 Vs. Bug Spray/DEET - 01/21/16 01:38 AM

I went to WalMart tonight and grabbed a can of Blaster Penetrating Catalyst and an assortment pack of really fine grit wet/dry sandpaper they use for painting cars.

Sprayed a small area, and rub it with the finest piece of sandpaper I had 2500 grit.

I may need to go over it again, but it made it look MUCH better.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum