Texas Fishing Forum

Jigs and jig trailers

Posted By: ezbassin

Jigs and jig trailers - 01/20/16 12:00 AM

Do you usually match your trailer to the jig, use a compliment color, or use a contrasting color all together, or do you think it even matters?
Posted By: lamoon78

Re: Jigs and jig trailers - 01/20/16 12:16 AM

I do both
Posted By: fouzman

Re: Jigs and jig trailers - 01/20/16 12:25 AM

Yes, yes, yes and yes.
Posted By: B.Hollingshead

Re: Jigs and jig trailers - 01/20/16 02:13 AM

The only time I don't match colors is in the winter in cold water I like a green pumpkin jig with a blk/blue trailer or other way around. Match it all the other times of the year
Posted By: BlaiseWeimer

Re: Jigs and jig trailers - 01/20/16 02:19 AM

I have always matched jigs and trailers. What are the advantages and reasoning behind changing up colors?
Posted By: WmSmith

Re: Jigs and jig trailers - 01/20/16 04:19 AM

I match everything. Only thing I might do is add chartreuse to my green pumpkin trailers

Re: Jigs and jig trailers - 01/20/16 01:56 PM

Ok, those of you that do both or all three, how do you choose which one you are going to do? I have done all three with my jigs and trailers but really don't have any reason for my choice. Most of the time I will either match the jig and trailer or use an accent color jig and trailer. Every once in a while I will do a total contrast just to change things up, but that was a black/blue jig with a green pumpkin trailer.

A jig with a black/blue tip skirt, I will put a black/blue claw craw on it and one that has both black and blue strands I will use a blue bruiser trailer. On a peanut butter n jelly skirted jig I will put on a green pumpkin/purple trailer.

Re: Jigs and jig trailers - 01/20/16 02:03 PM

Originally Posted By: BlaiseWeimer
I have always matched jigs and trailers. What are the advantages and reasoning behind changing up colors?

On a peanut butter n jelly skirted jig I like a green pumpkin/purple trailer. With this combo you have a brownish color in the skirt with some purple in it and the green pumpkin craw adds another color and the purple glitter in the craw compliments the purple in the jig skirt. I just like the way it looks better than a matching pb&j craw and the fish seem to like it as well.

With a black/blue jig I match the craw most of the time, unless I use a black/blue/purple jig, then I use a craw with some purple glitter in it.

For a total contrast I use a black/brown jig with a plumb trailer.
Posted By: ChrisPowellFishing

Re: Jigs and jig trailers - 01/20/16 02:06 PM

I match the trailer to my Jig, I use strike king hack attack flipping Jig, super heavy hook, great colors and I use the Strike king Rage Craw trailers to match. during the winter I will use a trailer with less action. KVD Prefect Plastic chuck, or even a Chigger Craw by power bait it makes a difference
Posted By: B.Hollingshead

Re: Jigs and jig trailers - 01/20/16 02:16 PM

blk/blue/grn pmk has been a long time secret in cold water those color combos resemble a perch which is a bass primary food source in cold water.
Posted By: Kevin Bryant

Re: Jigs and jig trailers - 01/20/16 03:13 PM

Originally Posted By: B.Hollingshead
The only time I don't match colors is in the winter in cold water I like a green pumpkin jig with a blk/blue trailer or other way around. Match it all the other times of the year

This. Green pumpkin on a black/blue jig is deadly.
Posted By: Lake Fork Guide Marc Mitchell

Re: Jigs and jig trailers - 01/20/16 03:28 PM

Well you know I throw a jig a bunch. I will match 90 percent of the time but I have found sometimes a contrast change is not a bad thing. I have done watermelon red on a PB&J and stroked them on it.

I have also did straight up chart on jigs of all colors and it worked. Sometime I think you just increase your strike zone by color. Water clarity is how I usually make my choice of trailer to start with.

That and just years of being on the water come in to pay by memory of what has worked in the past for me. I am never worried about coloring outside the box or thinking outside the box.
Posted By: Fast Lane

Re: Jigs and jig trailers - 01/20/16 03:43 PM

Nothing in water is all one uniform color. Look at a Blue Gill or a Crawfish.
Posted By: Fast Lane

Re: Jigs and jig trailers - 01/20/16 03:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Kevin Bryant
Originally Posted By: B.Hollingshead

This. Green pumpkin on a black/blue jig is deadly.

Watermelon Candy on a Bkack/Blu Jig works good for me:)
Posted By: Superslab

Re: Jigs and jig trailers - 01/20/16 04:02 PM

I mix it up at times but usually just between green pumpkin and black/blue. I change the jig color more than the trailer.

I found this interesting: http://www.bassmaster.com/slideshow/pros-picks-jig-trailers
Posted By: BlaiseWeimer

Re: Jigs and jig trailers - 01/20/16 04:20 PM

Thanks for the answers guys!
Posted By: JJHunts

Re: Jigs and jig trailers - 01/20/16 07:16 PM

Black, Blue & Purple Santone with a black and red Zoom super chunk trailer is killer in stained cold water.

Just saying!! Ever looked at crawfish before you boil them? None of them are the same color.

Re: Jigs and jig trailers - 01/20/16 08:23 PM

Black/brown/amber jig with a green pumpkin/red craw is good also.
Posted By: SAKS

Re: Jigs and jig trailers - 01/20/16 10:24 PM

I typically use only a brown jig. I will use the trailer to give me the pattern I am looking for. Takes a lot of unnecessary thinking out of it. Also quicker and easier to change a trailer than a jig. I will use a black/blue if I am fishing extremely low light conditions or a night time.
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: Jigs and jig trailers - 01/20/16 11:25 PM

I do both as well! I seem to have better luck with matching colors but in extremely stained or dingy water, I'll put on a black/blue jig with a redbug trailer. I feel it's another way for the fish to key in on the bait. But then again, it all boils down to confidence. I've caught fish on a 3", clear, shad colored swimbait in 30 feet of water at 12:00 at night. It's a total confidence thing!
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Jigs and jig trailers - 01/21/16 12:27 AM

Prespawn I like to bite off 1/2 inch of a reddish/orange worm and put it on a black and blue jig just in front of the trailer (between the skirt tie/band and trailer). I figure if they are biting red-orange/red chili patterned craw lipless and cranks, can't hurt to put a bit of that color on the jig presentation. Probably doesn't make a difference, but it gives me more confidence.
Posted By: thechapman

Re: Jigs and jig trailers - 01/21/16 04:09 PM

Usually match. If the fish chase the bait or barely peck at it. Try a different combo
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum