Texas Fishing Forum

How do you fish this lake?

Posted By: BeardedBanker

How do you fish this lake? - 01/18/16 11:36 PM

Gin clear. Grass grows through entire water column out to 20ft deep and its thick. I could only throw trig and did not get a bite. Tried ripping a trap but the grass was too thick. Any suggestions?
Posted By: MagFluker

Re: How do you fish this lake? - 01/18/16 11:40 PM

1st approach, weightless senko, wacky or t-rig, inside or outside the grass line.

2nd approach, swim jig

3rd approach, if it's matted, punch it
Posted By: CCTX

Re: How do you fish this lake? - 01/18/16 11:56 PM

Right now
-Heavy drop shot rig at the deepest grass line. 50-65lb braid to 3/0 or 4/0 hook. Texas rigged creature or craw of your choice. 1oz weight 5 inches below the hook.
-suspending jerkbait above the deeper grass
-if there is any really deep area with no grass on the bottom, drag a Crig through there
-punch the grass
-weightless senko

Spring--fall. Same as above, but add buzzbaits, then spooks, then frogs as the water temp warms
I'd also try swimming flukes and paddle tails on a belly weighted hook
Sounds like a great little lake.
Posted By: Mike Yeager

Re: How do you fish this lake? - 01/19/16 01:15 AM

Gin clear = drop shot. Something small along the outside edge of the grass. Back way off the grass line also.
Posted By: Rayzor

Re: How do you fish this lake? - 01/19/16 02:08 AM

Lake Kurth?
Posted By: RedEar12

Re: How do you fish this lake? - 01/19/16 02:11 AM

Chatterbait
Wacky
Dropshot
Punch with a 1-1/4 tung. weight.

Brandy Branch?
Posted By: BeardedBanker

Re: How do you fish this lake? - 01/19/16 02:57 AM

Originally Posted By: RedEar12
Chatterbait
Wacky
Dropshot
Punch with a 1-1/4 tung. weight.

Brandy Branch?

Yep, it was tough. Wanted to fish shallow, but grass was so thick. Thought did cross my mind to try the outer edge in 20ft. First time on lake and was very disappointed. Not a single bite.
Posted By: Hoss Holding

Re: How do you fish this lake? - 01/19/16 02:25 PM

Water temp may also dictate on how to fish this lake as well
Posted By: Panhandle

Re: How do you fish this lake? - 01/19/16 02:33 PM

Clear water. I'd throw a fluke.
Posted By: RodBreaker CWill

Re: How do you fish this lake? - 01/19/16 02:47 PM

1 1/4 oz punch rig on some 65lb power pro moss green braid in the thick grass
Posted By: ChrisPowellFishing

Re: How do you fish this lake? - 01/20/16 02:21 PM

Weightless Trick worm, Wacky Rigged Senko, Heavy Jig, Heavy Texas Rig. Swim Jig. Swim Bait.

The BIGGEST thing is to find a Different Bottom Composite under that grass. maybe even transition from sand to Rock, Rock to Gravel. Maybe find so Lay downs in the Grass, Maybe a Shell Bed. I really like lakes like this the Fish seem to be healthier!
Posted By: Woody71

Re: How do you fish this lake? - 01/20/16 02:53 PM

Brandy Branch is a high pressured lake right now. Your presentation has to be spot on. I've caught a few shallow with black red flake wide body craws t rigged. A few with dark spooks, and sprayed grass flukes with light line. Brandy Branch is not for the faint hearted, your going to have to work for every ounce. 14' fow grass lines with 1 1/2 oz punch rig green pumpkin red flake once the suns up, add some dippin dye if its cloudy (or switch to black n something). I have caught more big fish on the cold side than the hot. I'll also say that from after 10 am till 2 pm they shut down, not that you cant catch em its just really slow! Wind is a major factor also, if its from the east you best be fishing the west side. Good luck on your next trip.
Posted By: James Biggs

Re: How do you fish this lake? - 01/20/16 03:14 PM

Swimbait or suspending jerkbait over the deep grass. In clear water they will come get it.
Posted By: Outdoordude

Re: How do you fish this lake? - 01/20/16 04:26 PM

I'd start in the morning by finding the most dense patches and punching something into the middle of the thickest areas. Vegetation works as an insulator so it should be a little warmer in the thick mats. Late morning to mid-day, I'd start moving out to the edges and very-slow rolling small light swim jigs or swimbaits down the edge, then move to a suspending jerkbait especially if the sun comes out and starts warming the surface.
Posted By: BlaiseWeimer

Re: How do you fish this lake? - 01/20/16 04:50 PM

Dropshot, swimbait, and weightless fluke or senko
Posted By: Rudy Lackey

Re: How do you fish this lake? - 01/20/16 08:50 PM

1oz Spinner bait Willow leaf blades.
Slow roll until it clogs up then rip it free that's when they attack !
Posted By: KingwoodCat

Re: How do you fish this lake? - 01/20/16 08:52 PM

wacky worm on the edges and pockets in the grass. Back up plan...drop shot the same way.
Posted By: SAKS

Re: How do you fish this lake? - 01/20/16 09:15 PM

Right now I would find the grass line and throw some type of finesse bait.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum