Texas Fishing Forum

Breaking down Lake Benbrook

Posted By: Rhino68W

Breaking down Lake Benbrook - 01/18/16 03:27 PM

So I now live in Benbrook and I really want to try and figure out Lake Benbrook this year. Where should I look to get a good recent topographic map of this lake? Also, I kayak fish so I need to find a way to put in on the south end of the lake. The Marina is open but it is way to far of a paddle to the timber and creeks on the south end. And I am not sure if Mustang Creek or some of the other parks will actually open this year like the lakes website says. Any tips or direction would be greatly appreciated. I know Benbrook has some quality fish in it, just not the quantity. Which is why I plan on dragging a jig around most of the time.
Posted By: GROD

Re: Breaking down Lake Benbrook - 01/18/16 03:46 PM

You can start in rocky creek and then work west creek to creek.

Re: Breaking down Lake Benbrook - 01/18/16 03:57 PM

That's what I was thinking. The website says it will be open April 1st. Hopefully that is true and I can hit it during the spawn. Just hope we don't get any more heavy rain. I also thought about putting my kayak in where the creeks hit 1187 under the bridges and paddling/dragging it to the main lake.
Posted By: Bugzout10

Re: Breaking down Lake Benbrook - 01/18/16 05:07 PM

If it were me I would put in at longhorn park and paddle to Richardson slough

Re: Breaking down Lake Benbrook - 01/18/16 05:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Bugzout10
If it were me I would put in at longhorn park and paddle to Richardson slough

Which cove is Richardson slough?
Posted By: PEDRO H.

Re: Breaking down Lake Benbrook - 01/18/16 05:25 PM

Throw that jig and a big worm! I mainly stick to the mid lake south. I love that little lake it has giants swimming around!

Re: Breaking down Lake Benbrook - 01/18/16 05:27 PM

Originally Posted By: SKEETER_MAN_225
Throw that jig and a big worm! I mainly stick to the mid lake south. I love that little lake it has giants swimming around!

Like a big 12" curly tail T-rig?

Re: Breaking down Lake Benbrook - 01/18/16 05:44 PM

when we going
Posted By: Fishingking

Re: Breaking down Lake Benbrook - 01/18/16 05:48 PM

You can not imagine by looking at the lake today how much timber was in it. My dad use to squirrel hunt there before they made the lake. Coming south from the dam, Richardson is the first big arm on the left. There is timber in there, you use to have to run down the center only! This held true for the main lake. Running off dead center was not a well conceived idea. Any old hack like myself should remember how it lays out. There are numerous old pits and cranes out in front of Richardson they used to make the dam. Just have to look for them. Back in the day Rock Creek was the happening place. Everything centered around it. Mustang was only for parkers wanting some action. There are numerous old cars in the lake people use to drive off the cliffs to get rid of them around Richardson (Police use pull them out all the time). Hone Hole has some shows on it. Just don't get fooled by the way it appears and think you can run anywhere.

Re: Breaking down Lake Benbrook - 01/18/16 06:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Fishingking
You can not imagine by looking at the lake today how much timber was in it. My dad use to squirrel hunt there before they made the lake. Coming south from the dam, Richardson is the first big arm on the left. There is timber in there, you use to have to run down the center only! This held true for the main lake. Running off dead center was not a well conceived idea. Any old hack like myself should remember how it lays out. There are numerous old pits and cranes out in front of Richardson they used to make the dam. Just have to look for them. Back in the day Rock Creek was the happening place. Everything centered around it. Mustang was only for parkers wanting some action. There are numerous old cars in the lake people use to drive off the cliffs to get rid of them around Richardson (Police use pull them out all the time). Hone Hole has some shows on it. Just don't get fooled by the way it appears and think you can run anywhere.

Thank you for the input! That's very interesting about the cranes and cars. And I will be in a kayak so I won't be running anywhere very fast thumb
Posted By: charlief1

Re: Breaking down Lake Benbrook - 01/18/16 07:48 PM

If everything's closed except the marina then go down 377 until you cross the trinity. There's a "nature" area there and you can put in on the river. It goes straight down to the lake and into timber. It's a bit of paddling but it's protected by trees and the river so you should be out of the weather.

Re: Breaking down Lake Benbrook - 01/18/16 09:14 PM

Originally Posted By: charlief1
If everything's closed except the marina then go down 377 until you cross the trinity. There's a "nature" area there and you can put in on the river. It goes straight down to the lake and into timber. It's a bit of paddling but it's protected by trees and the river so you should be out of the weather.

I know where this bridge is. Do you know how to get to this "nature area" you're referring to if one is coming from Benbrook? I might try to go check it out on the way home today.

Re: Breaking down Lake Benbrook - 01/18/16 10:29 PM

Big hybrids in benbrook too

Re: Breaking down Lake Benbrook - 01/18/16 10:29 PM

Originally Posted By: GROD
Big hybrids in benbrook too

Finding them is the hard part
Posted By: nxt

Re: Breaking down Lake Benbrook - 01/18/16 10:47 PM

I've yet to find a good map of Benbrook, only the layout map the Corps puts out. Mustang if not open now, should be soon since the lake back at full pool. I've seen many kayaks put in there. Lots of timber and your protected from the wind for the most part. If you want to fish the dam area go over to Longhorn once it's open.

Re: Breaking down Lake Benbrook - 01/18/16 11:39 PM

Hybrids will be in the mouths of the creeks around the same time the bass begin to start spawning.
Posted By: WetaHook'14

Re: Breaking down Lake Benbrook - 01/19/16 01:32 AM

I searched for a map last year and couldn't find one. I purchased an app, Boating USA by Navionics. Worth every penny, have a map of the lake and you can see where you are at on phone.
Posted By: ABit

Re: Breaking down Lake Benbrook - 01/19/16 01:40 AM

I was there this past summer and they were hitting watermelon senkos well. They were only really hitting the shade around docks.
Posted By: 44 Diesel

Re: Breaking down Lake Benbrook - 01/19/16 01:43 AM

No good maps for Benbrook unless you use the navionics app. Or map card for your fish finder
Posted By: WetaHook'14

Re: Breaking down Lake Benbrook - 01/19/16 01:48 AM

Here is a map a guy posted a few years ago. The other 3 are photos from my phone from the app. If you give me a location, I'll zoom in an area and post a picture for you when I get back online. Hope this helps and Good Luck

Re: Breaking down Lake Benbrook - 01/19/16 02:50 AM

Benbrook doesn't have any docks besides the marina boat slip.

Re: Breaking down Lake Benbrook - 01/19/16 02:52 AM

Originally Posted By: GROD
Benbrook doesn't have any docks besides the marina boat slip.

Exactly what I was thinking.
Posted By: formula462

Re: Breaking down Lake Benbrook - 01/19/16 03:24 AM

I put the yaks in where Ben Day - Murrin crosses Bear Creek
Posted By: 44 Diesel

Re: Breaking down Lake Benbrook - 01/19/16 03:48 AM

[quote=GROD]Benbrook doesn't have any docks besides the marina boat slip. [/quote

I think there s 2 more 1 at Rocky creek and 1 at the boat ramp across the lake from Richardson slough, but that's it
Posted By: nxt

Re: Breaking down Lake Benbrook - 01/19/16 04:09 AM

Rocky Creek marina has been gone for several years now. Only marina on the lake is Dutch Branch, i.e. Benbrook Marina. There's a couple of small docks at a couple ramps at Holiday Park campground, that's it for docks.
Posted By: Grease Bath

Re: Breaking down Lake Benbrook - 01/19/16 04:51 AM

Benbrook is one of my favorite lakes In DFW for catching quality fish, I've spent a lot of time on the water out there. If you want to cut that learning curve in half I'd highly recommend booking a trip with me this spring for bass or crappie, our guide service caters to the kayak angler. Just a thought...

Re: Breaking down Lake Benbrook - 01/19/16 04:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Grease Bath
Benbrook is one of my favorite lakes In DFW for catching quality fish, I've spent a lot of time on the water out there. If you want to cut that learning curve in half I'd highly recommend booking a trip with me this spring for bass or crappie, our guide service caters to the kayak angler. Just a thought...

I might just take you up on that this year. I really want to figure it out since I live 5 minutes from the water.

Re: Breaking down Lake Benbrook - 01/19/16 04:48 PM

Originally Posted By: Rhino68W
Originally Posted By: charlief1

I know where this bridge is. Do you know how to get to this "nature area" you're referring to if one is coming from Benbrook? I might try to go check it out on the way home today.

It's the whiskey flats area if I remember right. There's a campground on one side and the other side's got a partial access road you can go down. Go to the (1187) gas station just past the bridge and you can turn around there. Drive down the side of 377 and you'll see where you can turn in. wink
Posted By: E-bright

Re: Breaking down Lake Benbrook - 01/19/16 05:01 PM

I lost a monster in the summer there my first time on it. Im glad i got to see it when it was 7 feet low
Posted By: PEDRO H.

Re: Breaking down Lake Benbrook - 01/19/16 05:42 PM

Like a big 12" curly tail T-rig?
that or a Berkley 10" power worm. My wife and I caught a 30 pound sack out of there in our CAST tournament almost two years ago! It is a good little lake. I found a map that showed the area before it was filled, partially filled but I can't remember what I did with it.

Re: Breaking down Lake Benbrook - 01/19/16 05:44 PM

I have found some maps on the web that had some stuff on them before the lake was there hard to tell where exactly things are just a rough estimate

Re: Breaking down Lake Benbrook - 01/23/16 01:47 AM

Did you ever find the access you were looking for?
Posted By: 200Hawk21

Re: Breaking down Lake Benbrook - 01/23/16 02:15 AM

I walked around the edge of the lake with my camera and a hand held gps when the lake was down 17' a couple of years ago and put everything in an album. Found some pretty neat stuff.
Posted By: Chasin Hogs

Re: Breaking down Lake Benbrook - 01/23/16 03:08 AM

Ain't no fish in there...keep it moving. ..
Posted By: Fishinkev

Re: Breaking down Lake Benbrook - 01/23/16 06:27 AM

Lol, benbrook is awesome! I concentrate on ledges. Btw, get your big stick out or you'll get embaressed. Fish are on steroids at the brook!
Posted By: General Jigs

Re: Breaking down Lake Benbrook - 02/02/16 11:13 PM

Originally Posted By: Grease Bath

I might just take you up on that this year. I really want to figure it out since I live 5 minutes from the water.

i kayak fish bb lake as well, perhaps we can go search for fish together - i've been looking for them for +7 years now...lol
Posted By: cybertimmy

Re: Breaking down Lake Benbrook - 07/06/20 05:08 PM

I know this is an old thread. Any chance I could get a legible copy of that map? It looks intriguing...
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum