Texas Fishing Forum

Coleto Creek Help

Posted By: Emmett

Coleto Creek Help - 01/18/16 05:29 AM

I am fishing Coleto Creek on Saturday (1-23-2016) for the first time. If anyone has any tips or suggestions I would really appreciate the help.
Thank you,
Emmett
Posted By: Undertaker56

Re: Coleto Creek Help - 01/18/16 01:34 PM

It has been very tough this year. No grass best thing I can offer is senko type baits in watermelon red. good luck my friend..
Bobby

Re: Coleto Creek Help - 01/18/16 02:30 PM

Thank you Bobby, I will definitely do that.
Emmett
Posted By: RKT

Re: Coleto Creek Help - 01/18/16 03:15 PM

Graph the edges of the river channel. When you see fish and bait drop a jigging spoon on them.

Re: Coleto Creek Help - 01/18/16 09:09 PM

Thank you for the help.
Emmett
Posted By: ABit

Re: Coleto Creek Help - 01/19/16 01:47 AM

We were there last week and they were hitting watermelon senkos. I ran down the South West side by sulphur creek and found a good amount of bait fish running in 15-20 feet of water. The bass were a few feet off the bottom with the surface temp aroun 60 degrees. Weightless senkos were the only thing we could get them to hit. I was told they were hitting on white jigs last week also.

Re: Coleto Creek Help - 01/19/16 05:14 AM

Thank you ABit, I really appreciate the help.
Emmett
Posted By: KingwoodCat

Re: Coleto Creek Help - 01/19/16 12:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Emmett
I am fishing Coleto Creek on Saturday (1-23-2016) for the first time. If anyone has any tips or suggestions I would really appreciate the help.
Thank you,
Emmett

Were it me, I would head up into the river. Just past the bridge there is a timber field on the right side. A lot of fallen timber on the bottom Shallow running crank baits on the points and worms in the channel.

Re: Coleto Creek Help - 01/20/16 05:23 AM

Thank you KingwoodCat
Posted By: tincan86

Re: Coleto Creek Help - 01/20/16 05:42 PM

Lot of sticks and stumps in the lake. When I first started going the lake was 4FT low I always tried to watch where other boats ran before trying new areas. If you run north you are fine up to the bridge in the channel(although I hit something last time out about 200 yards from the bridge(left hand side when coming from the ramp)). If you go to the discharge there is a long shallow point on the south side edge of the cove, there is also a hump in the discharge cove that can get shallow depending on the lake level, it is not an issue if you are on plane but if you try to take off on top of it you could see mud boils.
Posted By: Ron Gunter

Re: Coleto Creek Help - 01/20/16 05:53 PM

Was just there this past weekend for a major tournament. The fish are still in winter mode...and just starting to move up in a staging pattern. Most fish caught were almost albino-white (as they began moving up from their deep haunts). Took over 18 pounds to finish in the Top 3 (80+ boat field). Better sacks came out of river bends in 18-20 foot depths on Big 10" worms...main lake points in 8-10 feet (with 20 FOW nearby) on c-rig creature baits...and in the timber in 4-8 feet on t-rig craw baits.

Hope this helps, and good luck
Posted By: nwest10

Re: Coleto Creek Help - 01/20/16 07:06 PM

Wacky rig senkos worked for me last weekend in the tournament with a 1/8 oz. weighted senko hook. The cove with the intake right up against the trees in 1 to 6 FOW. Let it sink straight down on slack line and watch for the line to twitch. Work every tree you can, but make sure to work the larger trunks and any that are right up against the weed line in the shallows. Good luck.

Re: Coleto Creek Help - 01/25/16 01:05 AM

How did you end up doing yesterday? I ended up out there today but struggled all day. I got a late start and just couldn't seem to get anything going with the wind.
Posted By: Josh Ray

Re: Coleto Creek Help - 01/25/16 04:27 PM

sounds like another month before the spawn

Re: Coleto Creek Help - 01/25/16 06:18 PM

I am new to South Texas fishing. Does the spawn start in February down here?
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum