Texas Fishing Forum

Squaw creek today

Posted By: jimmye123

Squaw creek today - 01/18/16 12:33 AM

Well how did it fish today?
Posted By: B.Hollingshead

Re: Squaw creek today - 01/18/16 12:37 AM

Good lost a lot of key fish today, they bit the weirdest I've seen them bite all year.
Posted By: Alex K.

Re: Squaw creek today - 01/18/16 01:08 AM

I just fun fished today, but a great day on the water with my dad. Got on them pretty good in the morning but the afternoon was substantially tougher.
Posted By: B.Hollingshead

Re: Squaw creek today - 01/18/16 01:17 AM

I wished more people would learn how to bleed fish, there was way to many fish floating in the tanks. We got them all bleedes and all looked ok.
Posted By: PEDRO H.

Re: Squaw creek today - 01/18/16 01:41 AM

It was a weird bite today! And definitely a lot of fished that needed to be fizzed. Plus nothing like running across the lake first thing and seeing kayaks in the middle of the lake in the fog with no flags or lights!
Posted By: Chris Borden

Re: Squaw creek today - 01/18/16 01:44 AM

Originally Posted By: B.Hollingshead
I wished more people would learn how to bleed fish, there was way to many fish floating in the tanks. We got them all bleedes and all looked ok.

I wish I had that problem. We couldn't buy a deep bite so we hammered the males guarding. The guy behind me in line had two belly up and were caught shallow. Needle didn't help.
Posted By: Jimmy Harrison

Re: Squaw creek today - 01/18/16 01:49 AM

I agree!! Those fellas in the Kayaks were insane!! They went all the way across to the outlet.
Posted By: Bugzout10

Re: Squaw creek today - 01/18/16 01:55 AM

Tread lightly about the kayaks I've been stoned to death around here talking about them lol
Posted By: Glassangler

Re: Squaw creek today - 01/18/16 02:30 AM

Bite was good early then tapered off, i guess if you didn't go deep. Always been able to catch them flipping shallow in previous years..

Congrats to all !!
Posted By: Fish Killer

Re: Squaw creek today - 01/18/16 02:41 AM

Originally Posted By: Bugzout10
Tread lightly about the kayaks I've been stoned to death around here talking about them lol

Don't care about treading lightly. These guys were in the middle of the lake at 730 in the morning. There was a 2-3' fog later on the water still. No lights no anything

Pure ignorance

First time I've ever ever seen yaks on squaw
Posted By: Bugzout10

Re: Squaw creek today - 01/18/16 02:49 AM

Maybe they thought they were at wheeler branch
Posted By: 184Champion

Re: Squaw creek today - 01/18/16 03:47 AM

wonder if they had to pay $30 a Yak?
Posted By: WAWI

Re: Squaw creek today - 01/18/16 04:18 AM

Originally Posted By: Fish Killer

Don't care about treading lightly. These guys were in the middle of the lake at 730 in the morning. There was a 2-3' fog later on the water still. No lights no anything

Pure ignorance

Yep
Posted By: PEDRO H.

Re: Squaw creek today - 01/19/16 03:17 AM

popcorn
Posted By: Hog Jaw

Re: Squaw creek today - 01/19/16 12:27 PM

Agree on kayaks , in the middle of the lake at safe light with with choppy water , very risky , my opinion , scattered a group of them while back , turned back to say sorry and got blasted with a lot of Boo Boo words .
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Squaw creek today - 01/19/16 12:44 PM

Pure ignorance

It's just a matter of time.........
Posted By: Brad R

Re: Squaw creek today - 01/20/16 11:13 PM

I kayak fish on Wheeler all the time but I stay on the bank at Squaw.

Hmm? I just can't imagine getting out on Squaw anywhere in the middle of the lake with its wind and wave action, that and just the volume of boats. If I did, and I won't, I'd stay tight to the perimeter maybe work up in a creek or cove.

At $30 a pop, I just don't see this happening very often. I have never seen a kayak, bass buster or a jon boat out there.

No word down on the kayak thread anyone admitting to it.

Brad
Posted By: Scoundrel

Re: Squaw creek today - 01/22/16 12:35 AM

I thought about getting my old belly boat out there but keep thinking about that big gator.
Posted By: cyclefish

Re: Squaw creek today - 01/22/16 04:51 AM

i am just a newb banker so im curious about the fish that needed to be bled. please advise. deep water?
Posted By: Fish Killer

Re: Squaw creek today - 01/22/16 04:59 AM

You should be fine from the bank

Deeper water fish need it typically
Posted By: 361V

Re: Squaw creek today - 01/22/16 12:48 PM

Scatter em like coots! JK! We all have our "rights" and run our mouths about who is "right or wrong" but I do not want to be involved or even there when this practice goes bad. Kayaks in limited visibility. If I couldn't clearly see across I'd hug the shoreline. Not about "rights" it's about "wisdom" and "survival". Roll the dice enough times you will roll snake-eyes! Everyone play nice!
Posted By: Team LIL

Re: Squaw creek today - 01/22/16 04:41 PM

Well said 361V
Posted By: SC-001

Re: Squaw creek today - 01/22/16 05:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Okie Poke

Pure ignorance

It's just a matter of time.........

Honestly can't believe we haven't heard about it happening yet with the influx of paddlers the last few years. I'm a kayaker myself but there is no way in hell I would be caught in the dead middle on squaw in the winter, stick to wheeler branch guys...
Posted By: Bassmad

Re: Squaw creek today - 01/22/16 05:06 PM

No problem with Kayak fisherman, looks fun. I do have a problem with anyone on the lake with no lights in fog, early.
Posted By: hvtexskeeter

Re: Squaw creek today - 01/23/16 08:27 PM

I have no problem with YAKs. I owned a couple over the years and loved fishing out of them. If I was to go out on a lake in poor visibility in a YAK, I think I would invest in some LED Nav and Anchor lights. For under $50 you could probably save yourself from getting ran over. The bad news for someone in a bass boat that unfortunately ran over a YAK you would probably legally be at fault. Slow down and be careful out there and please get some Lights on your YAKs!
Posted By: ryane

Re: Squaw creek today - 01/23/16 08:47 PM

Before i say this, i have spent a lot of time in a yak myself and now mainly fish out of my bass boat. I understand some fisherman in bigger boats do not give much courtesy to people in yaks.

BUT it is flat a** stupid to go across a lake with low visibility. Think of it this way, a bass boat can only go so slow on plane (I have to stay around 25 mph but I'm sure it varies some). Even if all bass boats went as slow as possible to try and avoid any collisions with a yak, at squaw on new years day first thing in the morning i still probably wouldnt have seen a yak under the fog. Anybody doing that needs to have their head checked out. Its not that they don't have a right to be there, its the fact that its stupid to do.
Posted By: prospec1

Re: Squaw creek today - 01/27/16 12:59 AM

I would be scared to death in a Yak myself on Squaw. Too many "Weekend Pros" that have no courtesy for other bass boats, much less someone in a Yak.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum