Texas Fishing Forum

Do pro's use non-sponsor baits?

Posted By: Jkrez

Do pro's use non-sponsor baits? - 01/15/16 09:36 PM

Is this shunned upon? I can't imagine there are rules about it, but I'm sure the sponsors don't like it.

Do the pros try to hide it when they use baits from other companies? I'd imagine it has to suck for a pro to only be able to use a Rapala crankbait when the fish are only biting the action of a strike king or visa versa.

Thoughts?
Posted By: Chris Borden

Re: Do pro's use non-sponsor baits? - 01/15/16 09:39 PM

Of course!
Posted By: B.Hollingshead

Re: Do pro's use non-sponsor baits? - 01/15/16 09:39 PM

100% yes they do whatever it takes them to win or catch them. They don't hide it either.
Posted By: krawlin 47

Re: Do pro's use non-sponsor baits? - 01/15/16 09:41 PM

no question they do!
Posted By: Jkrez

Re: Do pro's use non-sponsor baits? - 01/15/16 09:42 PM

I thought so, thanks for the quick response
Posted By: ShamrockSmith

Re: Do pro's use non-sponsor baits? - 01/15/16 09:51 PM

I remember seeing KVD throwing a Yellow Magic before on tv. I paused the tv when the camera showed his baits for a second. Of course the Y.M. is 100% better than Strike Kings.
Posted By: Huckleberry

Re: Do pro's use non-sponsor baits? - 01/15/16 09:55 PM

KVD has a BULLET in his garage
Posted By: Bryanmc57

Re: Do pro's use non-sponsor baits? - 01/15/16 11:39 PM

Does the water ripple when a frog farts?
Posted By: Finesse EMPEROR/ Dropshot King

Re: Do pro's use non-sponsor baits? - 01/15/16 11:41 PM

They all do it!
Posted By: Lil joe

Re: Do pro's use non-sponsor baits? - 01/15/16 11:51 PM

I remember one of the Toyota tournaments at Conroe Ike said at the weigh in that the only lure he used was Caribbean shad rapala DTs but when they showed him fishing on the tv show he was catching them on a chart/blue back 6xd
Posted By: SAKS

Re: Do pro's use non-sponsor baits? - 01/15/16 11:59 PM

I had one tell me that if it was given as a gift from someone it was no issues but he absolutely wouldn't get caught buying something not in his sponsorship.
Posted By: Danny L. Weems

Re: Do pro's use non-sponsor baits? - 01/16/16 12:35 AM

Fishermen don't lie!
Posted By: Fish Killer

Re: Do pro's use non-sponsor baits? - 01/16/16 04:57 AM

Originally Posted By: B.Hollingshead
They don't hide it either.

Seriously?? Some don't. But we have all seen they hide it Almost as bad when the first side imagine units came out Everyone had them weather they were sponsored or not
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: Do pro's use non-sponsor baits? - 01/16/16 05:02 AM

Sponsors mainly care about having their names on the jerseys, boats, etc. for advertising.
Posted By: Anchorman

Re: Do pro's use non-sponsor baits? - 01/16/16 05:32 AM

Don't think for a minute they are bound to only their sponsors baits. They use what catches them fish to try to win. They may say they are using one thing but don't be naïve and believe that part of it. They're in it to win it.

I had a buddy that fished a few pro ams back in the 80's and 90's. He got to know a lot of the pros. He was a paraplegic so he never could go pro. But he was good enough and smart enough to. Just too difficult for him. This is the guy I learned a lot of my bass fishing from. Anyway, He used to tell me stories of the lies and deception that went on. He told a lot of interesting stories. Man did he hate Rowland Martin.
Posted By: cbag1

Re: Do pro's use non-sponsor baits? - 01/16/16 05:41 AM

Yes they do
Posted By: papamark

Re: Do pro's use non-sponsor baits? - 01/16/16 10:00 AM

KVD won the Classic in Pittsburg throwing a jerk bait that wasn't made by Strike King and said so, even showed it in the show afterwards he was on. Strike King didn't make one in the color he was throwing and the one he had was no longer being made and the company making it wasn't around anymore, Strike King started making it
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Do pro's use non-sponsor baits? - 01/16/16 11:04 AM

Yes we do.......
Posted By: thechapman

Re: Do pro's use non-sponsor baits? - 01/19/16 06:56 PM

Oh yes no doubt
Posted By: Jimfishes

Re: Do pro's use non-sponsor baits? - 01/19/16 07:10 PM

When you ride with them as a Marshall, you get to see it!
Posted By: WmSmith

Re: Do pro's use non-sponsor baits? - 01/20/16 04:26 AM

I don't think it matters. I'm sure the pros even swap baits with each other in the parking lot.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum