Texas Fishing Forum

Ray Roberts help please.?

Posted By: jbassman

Ray Roberts help please.? - 01/11/16 01:29 PM

Going for the first time in Feb, never been on the lake, Are the boat lanes marked? What type of cover does the lake have to fish?

Posted By: B-rader

Re: Ray Roberts help please.? - 01/11/16 01:38 PM

The lake may still be closed then , no boat lanes , stay South of Wolf Island and you can run pretty much anywhere. Timber is the most common cover , no grass
Posted By: jbassman

Re: Ray Roberts help please.? - 01/11/16 01:40 PM

Thank you, what ramp should I use?
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Ray Roberts help please.? - 01/11/16 01:45 PM

Originally Posted By: jbassman
Going for the first time in Feb, never been on the lake, Are the boat lanes marked? What type of cover does the lake have to fish?

You might as well kick your self in the arse a few times and save time and the trip during February....

Not a good cold water lake.....
Posted By: Delvec

Re: Ray Roberts help please.? - 01/11/16 02:25 PM

Originally Posted By: RedRanger
Originally Posted By: jbassman

You might as well kick your self in the arse a few times and save time and the trip during February....

Not a good cold water lake.....

Pay no attention to this guys posts, he was just released from Terrell and hasn't fished for many years. Roberts is great cold water lake. The problem is the only way to get in right now is Marina ramp, which is a pain cause they don't open till 9 am. No marked Boat lanes north of Wolf Island an its full of timber up there. The grass was all killed off from the high water, there's timber on the upper end of lake. But this time of year you wanna be concentrating on rocky structure on the south end of the lake.
Posted By: Bass Buster1

Re: Ray Roberts help please.? - 01/11/16 02:29 PM

Hardest cold water lake for me and I have been fishing it as my home lake since 1993. Only ramp open right now is the marina and that is not likely to change for a while. We and Lewisville are still flooded out bad.

As far as running, lower end of the lake only and only in the middle until you get to know the lake. There are several long points/road beds that go way out in the lake and could be hazardous. Study a map carefully to avoid damage to your boat.

Lots of fence rows, rocky points, humps, ridges, road beds, pond dams, timber, and tons of flooded shoreline cover to fish all over the lake. I would focus on rocks for a while until you figure things out.

Standard baits for me are spinner bait (slow rolled with a big blade while it is cold), blue fleck power worm, square bill, c-rig, jig, yellow magic when it gets warm. I know this is general information but hope it is helpful.
Posted By: Rudy Lackey

Re: Ray Roberts help please.? - 01/11/16 03:46 PM

Think Pre-spawn lots of over 8lbs caught in feb & march.
Deep cranks just sayin....
Posted By: skeeterfan

Re: Ray Roberts help please.? - 01/11/16 04:57 PM

BassBuster1 is spot-on about it being a tough cold water lake. If weather is decent and sunny try the rip rap with suspending jerk baits.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum