Texas Fishing Forum

alabama rig question

Posted By: parrishj

alabama rig question - 01/09/16 07:24 PM

Has anyone had any experience using the bama rig with only having 2 baits with hooks and the others being dummy baits. Is it even worth throwing at that point? Found a tournament trail that only allows 2 hooks
Posted By: musiclife_7

Re: alabama rig question - 01/09/16 07:27 PM

Some states only allow 2/3...in that case many anglers only use that many...
Posted By: James Biggs

Re: alabama rig question - 01/09/16 08:28 PM

Media has that rule. Only one I know of that does. It can be frustrating
Posted By: parrishj

Re: alabama rig question - 01/09/16 08:39 PM

Yeah i duno if i should cut my rig down to 2 or 3 baits with 2 hooks or fish 3 dummys and 2 hooks. Seems like it would be less hook up having 3 dummy baits
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: alabama rig question - 01/09/16 08:40 PM

Originally Posted By: James Biggs
Media has that rule. Only one I know of that does. It can be frustrating

especially if you reel a 5 pounder to the boat to realize he has a teaser and is just holding on to it, not a hook. bang
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: alabama rig question - 01/09/16 08:45 PM

Cali has a restriction rule and they catch still catch plenty. Just use a typical rig with dummies and however many hooks are allowed.
Posted By: Superslab

Re: alabama rig question - 01/09/16 10:17 PM

I live in Texas and work in NJ. NJ allows the 5 hook per line everywhere except the Delaware river which only allows 3 hooks per line.

If limited to 2 hooks, I would not run 3 dummies and 2 hooked baits, as the odds of the fish hitting a hook are less. I'd try 2 hooks and one dummy, or experiment with the size of the dummies vs hooked baits.
Posted By: Superslab

Re: alabama rig question - 01/09/16 10:43 PM

I live in Texas and work in NJ. NJ allows the 5 hook per line everywhere except the Delaware river which only allows 3 hooks per line.

If limited to 2 hooks, I would not run 3 dummies and 2 hooked baits, as the odds of the fish hitting a hook are less. I'd try 2 hooks and one dummy, or experiment with the size of the dummies vs hooked baits.
Posted By: KPDenney

Re: alabama rig question - 01/10/16 07:57 PM

BFL has a 3 hook limit this year. I will rig the center bait and the 2 bottom baits with hooks and weight them to run accordingly. I feel that the 5 baits help trigger the strike and the vast majority of hookups I've had have been on the center hook anyway. Triggering the strike is my goal. You miss all of the fish that don't strike
Posted By: Finesse EMPEROR/ Dropshot King

Re: alabama rig question - 01/11/16 12:26 AM

It's still worth it but kinda sucks feeling a fish smash it then set the hook and nothing is there.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum