Texas Fishing Forum

what is the best line overall for a 6'6 medium rod?

Posted By: Markusfishing

what is the best line overall for a 6'6 medium rod? - 01/08/16 11:45 PM

Just bought me a silver max combo and I'm in a pickle on which line to use with it. It is my first baitcaster and I will be doing different techniques with it. Can anyone help me out with this?
Posted By: hopefullythisworks

Re: what is the best line overall for a 6'6 medium rod? - 01/09/16 12:24 AM

hey bud nice purchase!! i would recommend 12lb big game in whatever color you desire. its a good all around line and for about 6 bucks you get around 1000 yards. its a bit more forgiving and much less expensive if you ever get a backlash you need to cut out. just dont over think it! just bc another line is more expensive doesn't mean better.
Posted By: joebass2

Re: what is the best line overall for a 6'6 medium rod? - 01/09/16 01:57 PM

All around line? If you're using it for cranks and spinnerbaits, 12# Big Game.
Posted By: Phoenix_Ed

Re: what is the best line overall for a 6'6 medium rod? - 01/09/16 02:19 PM

I use a 6'6 for spinnerbaits around boat docks etc. I agree 12# Big Game is a good all around choice.
Posted By: WmSmith

Re: what is the best line overall for a 6'6 medium rod? - 01/10/16 11:33 PM

You won't be using big baits with that size rod.

10-14 mono should cover about any application
Posted By: Dakota22

Re: what is the best line overall for a 6'6 medium rod? - 01/11/16 04:12 AM

15 lb seagaur red label goes a mile with a crankbait off a curado.
Posted By: Finesse EMPEROR/ Dropshot King

Re: what is the best line overall for a 6'6 medium rod? - 01/11/16 04:13 AM

10lb invisx with a shimano core!
Posted By: davidsonbasser

Re: what is the best line overall for a 6'6 medium rod? - 01/11/16 04:20 AM

I just bought some Berkley Ironsilk 12 lb line. That stuff is the smoothest mono line I have ever used. It's only drawback is after you first spool it and make your first dozen casts or so you will only get about half the distance you normally would with the same lure on same pound test line, but after a dozen casts or so this line "breaks in"
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: what is the best line overall for a 6'6 medium rod? - 01/11/16 01:51 PM

Originally Posted By: Markusfishing
Just bought me a silver max combo and I'm in a pickle on which line to use with it. It is my first baitcaster and I will be doing different techniques with it. Can anyone help me out with this?

Go with the 12# Big Game as suggested. It is cheap and works well. Don't experiment with fluorocarbon until you get proficient casting your new rig. It is much more expensive and not as forgiving when you get a kink in it form a backlash. Also fluoro sinks so it is not good with topwater plugs.

Get someone to show you how to adjust the brakes properly and tie on something that cuts through the air well to practice. Go with a /38 or 1/2 oz crankbait or T-rig to practice casting. If you still backlash a bit, make a cast and strip off about 20 more feet of line then put a piece of electrical tape on the spool at that point. That will keep the next backlash from going too deep.

Posted By: Rhino68W

Re: what is the best line overall for a 6'6 medium rod? - 01/11/16 01:54 PM

I would recommend putting 50# braid on it and using a leader when you need it.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum