Texas Fishing Forum

Let's talk Jerkbaits

Posted By: SkeeterMarine

Let's talk Jerkbaits - 01/07/16 06:04 PM

What setup do you use to fish your Jerkbaits? Shorter, stiffer rod or more flexible?

What about the reel, fast retrieve?

How do you fish them? Jerk, jerk, pause, repeat?

Discuss
Posted By: Viper Rods

Re: Let's talk Jerkbaits - 01/07/16 06:08 PM

I throw mine on a 6'6" MB782 blank from MHX. I use a 6.3:1 shimano curado and 12lb Seaguar Red Label. I usually like to work them fast but typically have to adjust to whatever the fish want.
Posted By: 361V

Re: Let's talk Jerkbaits - 01/07/16 06:23 PM

For me a 7' medium acton rod, 7-1 ratio reel and 12lb fluorocarbon or monofilament is my standard set up. I don't believe the reel speed matters, I just like Revo 7-1 reels. With any higher speed reels you have to be cognizant of the reel speed to avoid working the lure faster than you want. And yes, while I'm flexible my go to presentation is old school "jerk-jerk-pause". There are times when a slow constant retrieve works best. Also, it's the length of the pause that can be infinitely adjusted the the fishes mood.
Posted By: buda13

Re: Let's talk Jerkbaits - 01/07/16 06:37 PM

I like a 6'6" medium action rod, in the cold water months I use a 5:1:1 reel... helps me make sure I slow down. Why the shorter rod? The way I work a jerkbait anything longer than that and the tip of the rod would be in the water. Its not a bad idea to also have a set up on a spinning rod so you can utilize both arms and not just wear one out. Fishing a jerkbait for 8 hours hurts, LOL.

The most important thing I can convey about fishing a jerkbait is LIGHT LINE! I dont fish them on anything heavier than 10 lb line, sometimes as low as 8 lb line on a fairy wand. The action of the bait lost with heavier line is substantial. I'm sure there are applications where you need heavier line, just know that with every size you go up will result in the bait losing action.
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Let's talk Jerkbaits - 01/07/16 06:44 PM

I like 8lb Pline copoly. Other copoly line brands, mono, and braid float. Fluoro sinks. Thus, I like the neutral buoyancy of Pline with most jerkbaits. Medium, flexible rod, same one I use with smaller topwaters.
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: Let's talk Jerkbaits - 01/07/16 07:05 PM

I believe that there's no single perfect rod length for a jerkbait presentation. More accurately, there's a height combination to be taken into account to determine a good rod length for each angler - the angler's height and how far off the water he normally fishes (standing on the deck of his boat, for instance). For a given height, a good rod length will allow an angler to point the rod at a more downward angle in front of his body without submerging the tip; the lure retrieve is more in-line this way. Control and sensitivity are maximized. With a rod that is too long, the rod angle has to change to keep the rod tip out of the water. This becomes more awkward and the feel is different; the angler may even have to switch to a side-sweep configuration to twitch the lure. This offers less sensitivity, and twitches can get out of control more easily.

I find a 7' rod to be too much for me as I'm not a tall person; it probably works fine for taller guys. I have an expensive custom-built jerkbait rod that's only 6'4". I would never have gotten it that short if the builder had not talked me into it. It turns out he really knew what he was talking about when he educated me on the info I've shared here. For your given height combo, try a "shorter fit" rod and a longer one just as an experiment, and you may feel the same thing I did. I would not have predicted that the short rod would become my favorite jerkbait rod until I tried it!
Posted By: Jkrez

Re: Let's talk Jerkbaits - 01/07/16 07:09 PM

Do yall reel down once the bait hits the water, or do you immediately start the jerk-jerk-pause? I've always wondered if jerking it at the start gets it down to depth or if you have to crank it to the depth first.
Posted By: SkeeterMarine

Re: Let's talk Jerkbaits - 01/07/16 07:24 PM

Originally Posted By: Jkrez
Do yall reel down once the bait hits the water, or do you immediately start the jerk-jerk-pause? I've always wondered if jerking it at the start gets it down to depth or if you have to crank it to the depth first.

Good question, I usually start with a jerking motion, but wondering if I should reel down before starting.
Posted By: GarySHO

Re: Let's talk Jerkbaits - 01/07/16 07:40 PM

I fish them a lot and for nearly 40 years. I throw mine on a 7 foot medium action rod (my lakes are not full of 10 pounders)Duckett ghost or an old original Falcon 7 foot medium. I don't use a stiff rod because the way a fish loads on it, a stiff rod will rip the trebles out of a good fish and a limber rod is what gives the bait a better darting action. I reel down about 3 cranks usually before I start twitching unless I think it may be too shallow. I usually twitch or quick pops 2 or 3 times and let sit for about 5 seconds between sets of jerks. Length of time will change with colder water. I also change sometimes to a slow pull about 3 or 4 feet and let sit instead of jerks sometimes.
Posted By: Finesse EMPEROR/ Dropshot King

Re: Let's talk Jerkbaits - 01/07/16 07:40 PM

Originally Posted By: 361V
For me a 7' medium acton rod, 7-1 ratio reel and 12lb fluorocarbon or monofilament is my standard set up. I don't believe the reel speed matters, I just like Revo 7-1 reels. With any higher speed reels you have to be cognizant of the reel speed to avoid working the lure faster than you want. And yes, while I'm flexible my go to presentation is old school "jerk-jerk-pause". There are times when a slow constant retrieve works best. Also, it's the length of the pause that can be infinitely adjusted the the fishes mood.

+1
Posted By: californiabass22

Re: Let's talk Jerkbaits - 01/07/16 07:47 PM

for me, i use a 6-6'' M duckett micro magic paired w/ curado 200 6:3 on 12-15lb sunline assasin fluro. method as most have said changes depending on the situation, but in my opinion it is a great beat for searching while fishing new water. i have noticed that even if the fish are not willing to crush the bait, they will often shark it in towards the boat at least letting you know there is definite interest. i know they are crazy expensive, but megabass 110's have been my go to. the sadness that comes if (when) you lose one is outweighed by the amount of quality keepers i have put in the livewell in tournaments. retail for $24-$27/ ea OMG
Posted By: bigbass94

Re: Let's talk Jerkbaits - 01/07/16 07:48 PM

G. Loomis Jerkbait Rod

For the rod I use the JBR812. It's 6'9" in length, medium power, fast action. It's literally the perfect jerkbait rod. It has enough power/backbone to cast lighter jerkbaits with ease, but enough delay for the fish get hooked well. It's a super light rod and it's very sensitive. I really like the full cork handle too because I can control the rod better and fire out a long, accurate cast.

Shimano Chronarch CI4+

I use the HG model because it has a high speed (7.6:1) gear ratio. I really like a faster gear ratio because I can pick up the slack real fast when there's a lot of it my line. This is a quality reel, it's lightweight, and it has a super smooth retrieve. It's become one of my favorite reels.

Sunline Reaction FC

I use the 8 or 10 pound test depending on what cover is around. I seem to fish the 10# more often than the 8#. This line is the best when it comes to a reaction bite; it's specifically designed for those types of applications. It's has a little bit of stretch and coupled with superior knot strength and sensitivity, it's one of the best lines on the market.

I don't have a method for how I fish a jerkbait other than I try to vary my retrieve and cadence until I get a bite and the fish tell me how I should be working the bait. The colder the water, the slower I work it.

Quick tip: people think jerkbaits only work during the cold months of the year. You'd be amazed at how many fish I've caught on a jerkbait during July or August!
Posted By: M. Alexander

Re: Let's talk Jerkbaits - 01/07/16 08:08 PM

6'6" M Falcon Lowrider
6.3:1 Chronarch
usually 10-12lb fluorocarbon
Posted By: Ryan Wags

Re: Let's talk Jerkbaits - 01/09/16 03:31 PM

Here's something to think about. Try longer pauses. Especially on suspending models.
Posted By: Bassalong

Re: Let's talk Jerkbaits - 01/10/16 03:03 PM

I used to use a casting setup but find a spinning setup is easier for me to pop the bait with. 8# test fluorocarbon, 6.5 ft rod. If I get fatigued I'll change to a soft action 6.5 or 7 ft casting rod for awhile.
Posted By: Brent S

Re: Let's talk Jerkbaits - 01/10/16 04:31 PM

I got a jerkbait setup this year. 10 lb flouro, rod is a few inches under 7 ft. I'm 6 ft 4, so the length works for me.

I have tried to catch fish this year on it, but with all the rain we've had keeping the lakes dirty, I've had no luck. I need to figure out at what water clarity it works at.
Posted By: Rudy Lackey

Re: Let's talk Jerkbaits - 01/10/16 04:45 PM

More than one way to skin a cat.
I learned along time ago to drive my stick bait down and through the water with powerful sweeps which can create popeye biceps. Always leave enough slack in the line to allow the bait to walk from side to side. The bait will dart frantically through the water and pause to allow it to suspend. This will allow the bass to either ambush the bait while it is motionless or strike out of reflex. Very few people are willing to work the bait that hard. As said before, twitching is a good way to catch them also.
My 2 cents.
Posted By: pil,b

Re: Let's talk Jerkbaits - 01/10/16 05:00 PM

In the cold water I fish it slow, some time allowing it to suspend 10-15 seconds on semi slack line. fish
Posted By: Bayou Burner

Re: Let's talk Jerkbaits - 01/10/16 07:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Brent S

I have tried to catch fish this year on it, but with all the rain we've had keeping the lakes dirty, I've had no luck. I need to figure out at what water clarity it works at.
They work in stained water. Use a chrome or gold colored bait.

I reel down about 8-10 times and start my retrieve. Seems to work for me. If you start catching and they're pinned on the front hook, you have the right color!
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Let's talk Jerkbaits - 01/10/16 07:15 PM

Originally Posted By: SkeeterMarine
Originally Posted By: Jkrez

Good question, I usually start with a jerking motion, but wondering if I should reel down before starting.

Reel down. Get it in place for a strike. 6ft 6" medium action, 12lb copolymer green silver thread AN40. One of my favorite presentations. It's that time again. Good jerkin......
Posted By: Okie Poke

Re: Let's talk Jerkbaits - 01/10/16 07:22 PM

Originally Posted By: M. Alexander aka deuce41
6'6" M Falcon Lowrider
6.3:1 Chronarch
usually 10-12lb fluorocarbon

Fluorocarbon affects the bait buoyancy. It sinks it. Everything else is perfect.
Posted By: 94sktr

Re: Let's talk Jerkbaits - 01/10/16 07:36 PM

i heard a guide talking about a heavier jerkbait that makes casting easier, anyone have an idea on who makes one? would like to try myself.
Posted By: Ken A.

Re: Let's talk Jerkbaits - 01/10/16 07:53 PM

Originally Posted By: 94sktr
i heard a guide talking about a heavier jerkbait that makes casting easier, anyone have an idea on who makes one? would like to try myself.

I got a few (dozen) of them in various weights & colors. If you want a good one that is a little heavier than most and still has a good action, try the Spro McStick.

In the famous words of many on the TFF, "I've won a lot of money on that bait!"

woot
Posted By: CCTX

Re: Let's talk Jerkbaits - 01/10/16 08:10 PM

Originally Posted By: 94sktr

A good, cheap, heavier one that casts well is the Storm Twitchstick. Might have to modify it a little (suspend dot behind the lip or heavier front hook) to make it suspend well, but once it's modified, this is a great jerkbait with good action.
Posted By: thechapman

Re: Let's talk Jerkbaits - 01/19/16 07:09 PM

7' medium action 7:3-1 reel
Posted By: blackhorse

Re: Let's talk Jerkbaits - 01/20/16 01:40 AM

love my shadow rap
Posted By: WmSmith

Re: Let's talk Jerkbaits - 01/20/16 04:24 AM

I actually use the same rod I use to pop R. A 6-6 compre 1st generation. Has great action and very light rod. I use a Shimano 50E reel with 12lb seaguar flouro. You won't find a better combo
Posted By: COWBOYSFAN008

Re: Let's talk Jerkbaits - 01/20/16 06:30 AM

Originally Posted By: Flippin-Out
I believe that there's no single perfect rod length for a jerkbait presentation. More accurately, there's a height combination to be taken into account to determine a good rod length for each angler - the angler's height and how far off the water he normally fishes (standing on the deck of his boat, for instance). For a given height, a good rod length will allow an angler to point the rod at a more downward angle in front of his body without submerging the tip; the lure retrieve is more in-line this way. Control and sensitivity are maximized. With a rod that is too long, the rod angle has to change to keep the rod tip out of the water. This becomes more awkward and the feel is different; the angler may even have to switch to a side-sweep configuration to twitch the lure. This offers less sensitivity, and twitches can get out of control more easily.

I find a 7' rod to be too much for me as I'm not a tall person; it probably works fine for taller guys. I have an expensive custom-built jerkbait rod that's only 6'4". I would never have gotten it that short if the builder had not talked me into it. It turns out he really knew what he was talking about when he educated me on the info I've shared here. For your given height combo, try a "shorter fit" rod and a longer one just as an experiment, and you may feel the same thing I did. I would not have predicted that the short rod would become my favorite jerkbait rod until I tried it!

I agree with your theory on rod length and how it relates to a persons height. As you also see, people use all variations of reel speeds too. Im not sure that there is a "correct" reel speed since really your only jerking the bait and letting it pause for a period of time, then a quick jerk again. I personally use a 7:1 cause I want to get the fish to the boat quickly. Just MHO. Thanks.
Posted By: kingfish_1970

Re: Let's talk Jerkbaits - 01/20/16 07:13 AM

My set-up is 7ft ML Crucial with a Citica 200E. In cold water I'm more prone to using a suspending bait. I cast out, let the ripples settle, take up slack then RIP IT down into the water column, then pause it. Then I start my normal jjjp retrieve with long pauses. Sometimes in summer, or in warmer water with active fish, I fish a floating bait,fast without any pauses.
Posted By: The_ProFISHional

Re: Let's talk Jerkbaits - 01/21/16 03:35 AM

Great tips guys!!!
Posted By: The_ProFISHional

Re: Let's talk Jerkbaits - 01/21/16 03:37 AM

The rapala shadow rap jerkbait is doing pretty good for me. The shallow and deeper versions both have been doing good for me this winter.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum