Texas Fishing Forum

Neighborhood bass pond

Posted By: outdoorsman916

Neighborhood bass pond - 01/06/16 11:00 PM

So there is a little pond in my neighborhood stocked with bass and bluegill. It is a catch and realese pond but I've seen pics of 8lbers pulled out of there. I can't figure out how to consistently catch them, and not just get lucky and get a little one every few hours. There is a lot of Lilly pads, reeds(I think it's called), 2 fountains and a bridge. It gets about 20 feet deep in the middle and about 3 or 4 feet around the bank. The water stays "stained" most of the time. What would y'all recommend I should throw? I have thrown yum dingers in a darker green color (I forgot the exact color), jigs, swimbaits, and crankbaits in red eye shad. Where should I try? I would like to get back into bass fishing not not sure what to do.
Posted By: rowlettfisherman

Re: Neighborhood bass pond - 01/06/16 11:06 PM

I would throw some weight on a senko and throw them out in the middle now. Or I slow roll a white spinner bait at the pond I fish, and works as well

Re: Neighborhood bass pond - 01/06/16 11:09 PM

Ok thanks, what color senko would you recommend?
Posted By: Finesse EMPEROR/ Dropshot King

Re: Neighborhood bass pond - 01/06/16 11:13 PM

Green pumpkin in stained water will treat you well!
Posted By: Daniel Mtanous

Re: Neighborhood bass pond - 01/07/16 02:20 AM

You definitely want to buy an inline spinner. You WILL catch a fish on these things.

There is a small buzz-bait made by Strike King that cost's a few dollars. I've only seen it in chartreuse. It's about as long as an average palm. Slow retrieve it under the top of the water like a spinner-bait.

You can purchase a Rat-L Trap 1/4 OZ that is tiny but is really effective. If anything is feeding it will try to bite this.
This is my new go-to lure when looking for Bass habitats.
Posted By: JoshJones1984

Re: Neighborhood bass pond - 01/07/16 02:37 AM

wacky-rig senko- I bet most of the people that fish there are throwing more traditional lures like spinnerbaits, traps, etc. I'd be looking for something that the average bank fisherman doesn't use.
Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Re: Neighborhood bass pond - 01/07/16 02:43 AM

No need for small baits I would toss a 10" blue flek power worm from the bank out deep. 1/2-3/4oz red trap parallel to bank, as well as tossing it out deep and letting it sink them yoyoing it back to the bank. Chatter air chartreuse and white with a 3"Swimbait trail fished around the lilly pad steams and reeds. That chatter bait is money when u get some atable warm weather when the water is cold. Just slow role it using a stop and go retrieve.
Posted By: PlanoTom

Re: Neighborhood bass pond - 01/07/16 02:48 AM

I have some great ponds in my neighborhood. They get a lot of fishing pressure so I figured out that I needed to be different to get the big bites. You can be different in terms of bait and time. I have caught a lot of nice fish on a dropshot rig and wacky worm since I figure most people use a TX rig. I also fish at unusual times - 9:00pm or at sunrise.
Posted By: Hog Jaw

Re: Neighborhood bass pond - 01/07/16 03:11 AM

Agree with said earlier , throw big baits .

Re: Neighborhood bass pond - 01/10/16 06:26 PM

Ok thanks to all of you for the advice, I should hopefully get out there soon and try all of these methods. What size hook would you use with a 10" flake worm?
Posted By: 361V

Re: Neighborhood bass pond - 01/10/16 06:46 PM

5/0 is my preference with 10"-12" worms. You can absolutely get by with smaller hooks though. I have friends that switch from smaller(7" worms/ creature baits) plastics to a 12" worm and never change from their 3/0 hook. Their "hook up ratio" is fine. While I always go to a 4/0 or 5/0 hook w/ larger worms the fish inhale the whole worm when they bite so "medium" sized hooks work fine.

Re: Neighborhood bass pond - 01/10/16 08:44 PM

Ok thanks, I was just worried that if the short hit it then they might not get the hook.
Posted By: Fishinkev

Re: Neighborhood bass pond - 01/10/16 10:29 PM

I would still throw a jerkbait, even in a pond in the winter
Posted By: "Old School"

Re: Neighborhood bass pond - 01/10/16 11:56 PM

If there's open water, I'd throw a Carolina rig. With the water cold I think a big 10 inch worm dragged slowly might produce for you.

Re: Neighborhood bass pond - 01/11/16 02:39 AM

What color and size jerk bait would you recommend? What color power worm would you throw?
Posted By: davidsonbasser

Re: Neighborhood bass pond - 01/11/16 04:31 AM

If 8'ers are being pulled out of there and the baits you mentioned aren't getting them to bite then go big. Find the biggest single colorado blade spinnerbait you can find, I'd go with black in color. Mega worms like 10" and 12" in carolina rigs. Buy yourself a 10XD or at least a 6XD crankbait in sexy shad pattern or white/black splatter and cast to where the deepest part is. Big bass could also be used to seeing the same lures so try something different that most "simple" fisherman wouldn't use like a drop shot or shaky head. If all else fails, go buy some feeder goldfish at a pet store (some bait shops carry them) and throw those, shad and minnows could work but I'd bet ALOT of people use those since its a neighborhood pond. The key is to change your game from theirs. Good luck smile

Re: Neighborhood bass pond - 01/11/16 04:33 AM

Originally Posted By: outdoorsman916
What color and size jerk bait would you recommend? What color power worm would you throw?

Get a suspending jerkbait for starters with it being winter. You said water is stained? Personally, and this is just me, I'd get a chrome/blue back. As for color of power worm, you really can't go wrong with the good ol' blue fleck!!! laugh

Re: Neighborhood bass pond - 01/12/16 12:07 AM

Ok, yes the water is stained. How would you rig a feeder goldfish? I will try some big baits and see what happens. How should I retrieve a power worm? Sorry for asking so many questions, but I'm more of a saltwater fisherman.

Re: Neighborhood bass pond - 01/12/16 11:24 PM

Rig em thru the lip or as I prefer, thru the portion of the tail closest to their body. People say hook them near the spine but even if you don't puncture the spine from my experience the death rate is still pretty high. Through the tail, contrary to what people may tell you, gives them the overall best "wiggle" room and action. Through the lip is a good option if you are not making long hard casts.
As for power worms, they do have a curly tail so you can do a relatively fast retrieve and still have action, but I usually only use this technique in fall when bass are feeding heavy. If in winter, just give the rod tip slow twitches and reel in the slack once your rodtip is too high to twitch anymore. Key is to slow down so you dont actually want to reel the lure in at all...just twitch it back in.

Re: Neighborhood bass pond - 01/13/16 12:39 AM

Ok thank you I will definitely try both.
Posted By: wootersbassin

Re: Neighborhood bass pond - 01/13/16 12:43 AM

big Huddleston swimbait! you might only get one bite but it will good

Re: Neighborhood bass pond - 01/13/16 03:11 PM

Ok, what size should i get it in, or does it just come in one size? Also is there a certain color?
Posted By: teamchampion

Re: Neighborhood bass pond - 01/14/16 02:23 PM

Pond near my place that I fish from time to time. Most productive bait there is watermelon seed/red flake, fluke. Throw and let sit move slowly.
Posted By: RedRanger

Re: Neighborhood bass pond - 01/14/16 02:32 PM

I used to bring many 3 to 5 lbs bass from Ray Roberts to my pond in my subdivision, It has a fountain and is chunk full of small perch and minnows, the HOA stocked it with Channel Cats a few years ago.

I rarely fish it, I see the local kids fish it in the spring and fall, I stuck 12lb carp I caught in Lewisville in there, I think it has a healthy population of fish.

I have fished many a local ponds back in my high school days, and it can be fun and easy fishing and easy to get to

Re: Neighborhood bass pond - 01/14/16 10:11 PM

Ya there are a ton of ponds around me to fish, it's a little more crowded right now because of the trout being stocked in there.
Posted By: bogey♂

Re: Neighborhood bass pond - 01/14/16 10:50 PM

jig

Re: Neighborhood bass pond - 01/18/16 11:13 PM

What color jig should I try?
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum