Texas Fishing Forum

FREEZING hands help!!!!

Posted By: Bassslayerr

FREEZING hands help!!!! - 01/06/16 09:09 PM

I HATE COLD HANDS, like painfully cold hands. i have been using the 20$ glacier gloves you buy at bass pro for a little while now, but i fell as if there is smething better and warmer or there are atleast things yall do to help keep your hands a little more warm. any recomendations on things yall do to keep your hands warm? ive heard latex gloves help but im not to sure, they do keep your hand dry though...
Posted By: ToadSnatcher14

Re: FREEZING hands help!!!! - 01/06/16 09:13 PM

Zippo Hand Warmer. Get the 12 hour one.
Posted By: TwoLakes

Re: FREEZING hands help!!!! - 01/06/16 09:37 PM

When I take my wife fishing on a really cold morning, she puts the little hot hands packets between her gloves and the top side of her hand. Supposedly, it helps warm the blood and keeps her hands much warmer.

I have a pair of fingerless gloves that I wear that do pretty good, but I usually just suffer through the cold wishing my hands were warmer. I haven't tried the hot hands yet.

The zippo warmers are supposed to be good to drop in your pockets and warm your hands every so often.

I don't really like fishing with thicker gloves. I'll be watching this post for pointers as well.
Posted By: Chuck A

Re: FREEZING hands help!!!! - 01/06/16 09:45 PM

If a person could figure out a perfect answer to this problem they could become very very wealthy. I've tried everything and am yet to find the perfect solution.
Posted By: Mayo

Re: FREEZING hands help!!!! - 01/06/16 09:52 PM

I recently bought a pair of the Cabela's Guide Wear water proof gloves that have the fingers and thumb mitten. Depending what you're doing you can use the mittens to cover or not cover you fingers or thumb. They're very warm and when you're driving the grip on the mittens work well while steering. When fishing I don't use the mitten on the cast hand but will on the other most times.
Posted By: NickHasty

Re: FREEZING hands help!!!! - 01/06/16 10:03 PM

I use latex gloves under a pair of Windstopper gloves cabelas makes w no fingers. It's winter, bites are light sometimes, you need to feel them. Get some hand warmers as mentioned also.
Posted By: Fish Killer

Re: FREEZING hands help!!!! - 01/06/16 10:07 PM

latex gloves under a pair of WinterJoy Golf Gloves...
Posted By: WillieKetchum

Re: FREEZING hands help!!!! - 01/06/16 10:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Chuck A
If a person could figure out a perfect answer to this problem they could become very very wealthy. I've tried everything and am yet to find the perfect solution.

I'm with you...we've tried several things to keep the hands comfortable, and there isn't a solution as of yet. If you find gloves big enough to keep your hands warm, then they are too bulky to fish in. The battery operated heated gloves are also too bulky. This past weekend I took a hot hand packet and stuck it to the inside of my wrist to see if they warm blood flow might help with the problem. It did help, but it didn't cure the problem.

My suggestion - tough it out until they get numb. But then retying is quite the task!

Re: FREEZING hands help!!!! - 01/06/16 10:24 PM

I use latex gloves under a pair of Windstopper gloves cabelas makes w no fingers. It's winter, bites are light sometimes, you need to feel them. Get some hand warmers as mentioned also.
Posted By: triton20x

Re: FREEZING hands help!!!! - 01/06/16 10:34 PM

The latex gloves are the trick. You can even get the 7mm or 9mm ones too. Harbor freight sells them cheap for a box of 50.
Posted By: RedRaider3933

Re: FREEZING hands help!!!! - 01/06/16 10:41 PM

Latex gloves are life savers. I wish I would have discovered their effectiveness much earlier.
Posted By: Phoenix_Ed

Re: FREEZING hands help!!!! - 01/06/16 11:28 PM

I have a pair of Serius gloves, they are great. I used the handwarmers in them a couple of times and they slid into the palm of my hand. I never noticed it until I pulled the gloves off. It worked.
Posted By: Billy Blazer 300 HPDI

Re: FREEZING hands help!!!! - 01/07/16 02:09 AM

Wilson batting gloves with the fingers cut out. Over black nitrile gloves from Harbor freight. Harbor freight is only place I can find them in XL. Works as good as anything I've used.

I have the Cabelas fishing gloves with no fingers also, but they to bulky.

Bass Pro used to make some really good ones with no fingers but not sure they still sell them.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: FREEZING hands help!!!! - 01/07/16 02:17 AM

I use some Snap On grip gloves with just the tip of my right gloves thumb and pointer finger parts cut off. So I can thumb the spool and feel the rod/line. On my left glove I have my pointer and middle finger tip part cut off. I reel my reels not using my thumb. I lightly hold my reel handles between my fingers. I have another pair for my right handed reels.
Posted By: Frank the Tank

Re: FREEZING hands help!!!! - 01/07/16 02:19 AM

So the latex goes under your glove? OK, never knew. thanks!
Posted By: Chris G

Re: FREEZING hands help!!!! - 01/07/16 02:21 AM

I have found no glove that is warm that I like to fish in. I did however find a set up that works for me that I only use when its really cold. I use an Under Armour hunting glove that has all finger tips exposed that has a pouch designed to hold a hand warmer. You will be amazed what putting that hot hands warmer on those blood vessels on the top of your hand will do for getting and keeping them warm.
Posted By: Allison1

Re: FREEZING hands help!!!! - 01/07/16 03:09 AM

I use Thermax glove liners that I buy in bulk. They are as sheer as they come and work in dry weather best.
I put on one pair till its around 35 degrees. Another pair on (still thin) and its good for another 10 degrees.
Posted By: Jarrett Latta

Re: FREEZING hands help!!!! - 01/07/16 03:18 AM

Latex under a thin pair of serious gloves. Hand warmers in pockets and large gloves just for driving. The key is keeping your hands dry raining or not in cold weather
Posted By: Jersey Dan

Re: FREEZING hands help!!!! - 01/07/16 03:56 AM

Two pairs of Simms Exstream Half-Finger Gloves. Switch them out mid day.
Posted By: slim1

Re: FREEZING hands help!!!! - 01/07/16 01:23 PM

I know it's not the smartest thing to do but I've been known to put a Coleman stove in the bottom of the boat. When my hands would get real cold I'd light the stove and warm up. After a warming I'd turn off the stove and go back to fishing.

Re: FREEZING hands help!!!! - 01/07/16 01:30 PM

Originally Posted By: slim1
I know it's not the smartest thing to do but I've been known to put a Coleman stove in the bottom of the boat. When my hands would get real cold I'd light the stove and warm up. After a warming I'd turn off the stove and go back to fishing.

I've got a 2 burner Mr.buddy heater clamped on to a 20lbs propane cylinder, I put the propane cylinder into a milk crate and strap it into the floor of my boat. It's gotta be COLD to do this...not 30 or 40
Posted By: kamerai

Re: FREEZING hands help!!!! - 01/07/16 01:35 PM

Get some old athletic wrist bands and place a couple of hot hands on the underside of the wrist. You will be amazed how warm they keep yor hands. The only issue with the cold is keeping your hands dry. Wet hands equal cold hands.
Posted By: Bassslayerr

Re: FREEZING hands help!!!! - 01/08/16 09:15 PM

Ive considered buying a heater that can be used on a propane cylinder and plugged into the wall, and id take it out there with me to keep me warm. I think it'd be worth it for me...
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: FREEZING hands help!!!! - 01/08/16 09:34 PM

I have one of the small version models of the Mr. Buddy heater line that holds a one pound propane bottle in the side of the housing. I've used this in numerous outdoor situations with good results. I've used it in the boat when working on it, and plan to extend that use onto the water when needed. On the 4000 BTU setting, I get several hours out of one pound of propane.

I may mount it to an "anti-tip" base of something like exterior plywood (16" x 16") if I feel it is at risk of being knocked over. It will turn off if it does, but I don't want melted carpet from residual heat.
Posted By: PEDRO H.

Re: FREEZING hands help!!!! - 01/08/16 10:47 PM

Latex gloves under batting gloves. You will wonder why you hadn't worn latex gloves before!
Posted By: Monte Coon

Re: FREEZING hands help!!!! - 01/08/16 11:47 PM

Moritz Chevrolet gloves all the way!!!
Posted By: Champion1

Re: FREEZING hands help!!!! - 01/09/16 04:03 AM

Whatever glove you use slide a hot hands packet on top of your hand and it will heat the blood going to your fingers. I use thin under armor gloves and do this and it works great. I am about the most cold natured person around so I obsess over this stuff.
Posted By: Bobby Milam

Re: FREEZING hands help!!!! - 01/09/16 06:36 AM

I tried gloves and hate them for loss of sensitivity on the rod and fine motor skills like reeling. I'd get one of the warming pouches like a quarterback wears and just warm them as needed between casts. If I couldn't take the cold doing that then I just need to stay home.
Posted By: toddfish

Re: FREEZING hands help!!!! - 01/09/16 07:07 AM

100% wool military issue or military style glove liners are the warmest I have found. They are fairly thin, and being all wool, they keep your hands warm, even when they get wet. You will lose sensitivity with these, but it beats being miserable from your hands being frozen. Just make sure it's the thinner liners and that they're 100% wool and not a wool blend.
Posted By: GROD

Re: FREEZING hands help!!!! - 01/09/16 12:26 PM

I personally can't wear gloves while fishing... Now when cutting across the lake that's a different story.
Posted By: Txduckhunter

Re: FREEZING hands help!!!! - 01/09/16 01:48 PM

Originally Posted By: GROD
I personally can't wear gloves while fishing... Now when cutting across the lake that's a different story.

This...
I just suck it up and fish. I duck hunt without gloves so fishing is usually drier, hence warmer.
If I use anything it is the thermax gloves mentioned earlier.
Posted By: Happykamper

Re: FREEZING hands help!!!! - 01/09/16 02:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Champion1
Whatever glove you use slide a hot hands packet on top of your hand and it will heat the blood going to your fingers. I use thin under armor gloves and do this and it works great. I am about the most cold natured person around so I obsess over this stuff.

This
Posted By: Charlesg35

Re: FREEZING hands help!!!! - 01/09/16 02:58 PM

Hands down, go to an army surplus, get the 100% wool glove inserts, they even have ones with the fingertips already cut out. You never have to remove them. They insulate just as well wet as dry. You can land fish, get in you live well, fish in rain, never needing to remove them. I wear mine even on cool mornings just to have warm hands on a cool morning. Get an extra pair, your partner will pay dearly for them on a cold morning! Nothing synthetic works as well as wool. Latex will hake your hands sweat, they'll be colder than with nothing on afterwards.
Posted By: BVF_LoP_Guide

Re: FREEZING hands help!!!! - 01/10/16 04:35 AM

Simms fingerless with fold over mit.They have sloto to drop handwarmer packets in at the wrist. Keeps my hands warm when fishing. I flip the mitts over while running. The packets sit on your radial artery which helps blood flow and keeping your fingers from going numb
Posted By: Johnny Boy

Re: FREEZING hands help!!!! - 01/11/16 02:20 AM

I bought a pair of Sealskinz gloves that work awesome! They are warm and waterproof so you can reach in the water and lip a fish if need be. They don't breathe well so I don't wear them unless it's real cold outside. Good luck!
Posted By: Dr. Drop

Re: FREEZING hands help!!!! - 01/11/16 03:17 AM

I put on thin cotton glove liners.
Then I put Black latex gloves over them.
That keeps the water off the cotton liner from my thumb I keep on the spool.
Use black latex. If some sun is out it will heat the black gloves.
Keeping the cold wind and water off your hands helps a lot.
I buy a box of 100 at O"reilys auto.
Posted By: BeardedBanker

Re: FREEZING hands help!!!! - 01/11/16 03:26 AM

Originally Posted By: triton20x
The latex gloves are the trick. You can even get the 7mm or 9mm ones too. Harbor freight sells them cheap for a box of 50.

Why latex gloves under your gloves? Why is that so effective?
Posted By: Dakota22

Re: FREEZING hands help!!!! - 01/11/16 04:08 AM

I have some cabelas neoprene gloves that have fleece inside. They work while still being able to cast. You're not going to be toasty, but you'll have feeling
Posted By: ogles824 (aka Lakewaydr50)

Re: FREEZING hands help!!!! - 01/11/16 05:00 AM

I wear a mitten style glove that I bought at Walmart and these are by far the warmest thing I've even put on my hands. I worked in refrigerated environments where it was really cold for years and I duck hunt and do that usually in the coldest part of the season, many times when there is ice on the water; and I have tried everything. These style of gloves get it done. Two things I think that make them work so well is the fact your fingers can share heat where they can't with regular gloves and they also allow for more blood flow...... I've been out in weather in the teens and as long as I kept my fingers covered with the mittens my hands where very comfortably warm. I usually keep my right hand uncovered while hunting but will slip the mitten back over it when I get cold. These aren't exactly what I have but are the closest thing I can find.....also when you buy gloves, looser is better, air space creates insulation and promotes blood flow....
http://www.basspro.com/RedHead-Convertible-Gloves/product/1412201136314/
Posted By: JacksonBean

Re: FREEZING hands help!!!! - 01/11/16 02:14 PM

The latex gloves make me sweat and then my hands are cold. Am I the only one?

I go full electric ski gloves.

Here's a picture from Sunday..... It was brutal!

Posted By: Cass Caldwell

Re: FREEZING hands help!!!! - 01/11/16 03:23 PM

Buy a Buddy Heater.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum