Texas Fishing Forum

Lowrance Gen3 to Gen1 question

Posted By: Okie State basser

Lowrance Gen3 to Gen1 question - 01/05/16 02:40 AM

I need some help. I have an HDS 7 Gen 1. My HDS 7 is linked to a HDS 10 gen2 through Ethernet connections via the LSS-1 module. Thinking of selling my HDS 10 Gen2 to help upgrade to a Gen3. I know the Gen3 doesn't need the LSS-1 module. If I buy a HDS 12 Gen3, can I connect the HDS 7 Gen1 to it directly? Is it compatible? Thanks!
Posted By: Txmedic033

Re: Lowrance Gen3 to Gen1 question - 01/05/16 02:50 AM

Yes it is. Just make sure that both units have the most current firmware update.
Posted By: wootersbassin

Re: Lowrance Gen3 to Gen1 question - 01/05/16 03:27 AM

yes
Posted By: **TheLoneRanger**

Re: Lowrance Gen3 to Gen1 question - 01/05/16 03:51 AM

yes... I currently have a gen 1 HDS 8 on the bow with a gen 3 HDS 12 on the console. The only thing it wont share is my map card... which is a bummer because I like to see my map while on the bow. If thats not an issue with you then you will be in good shape. If you would like it to share a map card then sell gen 1 and keep gen 2 for the bow....
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: Lowrance Gen3 to Gen1 question - 01/05/16 03:57 AM

Is there something in particular you want to do that you can only do with a Gen 3 unit? It sounds like you are tight on the $ for an upgrade, so why do you really feel the need to do it? Did you know that some who run both LSS-1 and the embedded LSS find that they like the LSS-1 better, so they keep it and continue to run it? Your apparent goal of ditching the LSS-1 is counter to what some have discovered. If you want to upgrade something, get an HDS9 Gen 2 head (with no expensive LSS-2 transducer) to put in place of that HDS7 Gen 1, and keep running the LSS-1. The processor speed on Gen 2 is acceptable to most, and noticeably better than the Gen 1. Just my $.02. I have no affiliation with shut-up-and-fish, but he has some smokin' deals on Gen 2 stuff right now. If I needed anything else, I'd be on that quick.....I paid too much a while back, LOL
Posted By: grout-scout

Re: Lowrance Gen3 to Gen1 question - 01/05/16 02:11 PM

+1 on keeping the lss1 & module, they don't draw that much power. If you do decide to sell them it will amaze you how fast it sells. You'll be scratching your head wondering why; but most guys stick them on the trolling motor.

The new 3d stuff looks interesting but I'm not getting into that game for the price it's going to cost. Too rich for my blood.
Posted By: Okie State basser

Re: Lowrance Gen3 to Gen1 question - 01/05/16 06:42 PM

Thanks for all the replies! I have the LSS-1 module with the newer HD transducer (my original transducer had one of the crystals stop working on the sidescan). It could still be used for downscan I suppose. However, I am most interested in Gen3 units for the CHIRP. I am contemplating between upgrading to a Gen3 or just getting the Gen2 with Sonar Hub. My picture on StructureScan has always been good, but the bigger screen, higher resolution, and CHIRP are reasons why I am thinking of going to a 12. I don't think wifi will help me at all. However, having my button functionality with touch screen would be nice. Are there any other reasons to go to a Gen3 besides that?

Re: Lowrance Gen3 to Gen1 question - 01/05/16 11:40 PM

Gen3 has this new 3d structure scan feature. It's not a cheaply priced add on; but neither is the gen3 graph.
Posted By: Flippin-Out

Re: Lowrance Gen3 to Gen1 question - 01/06/16 06:06 AM

Wasn't there a Lowrance sponsored member here discussing that CHIRP isn't of much value-add for the water depth we fish? I have virtually no knowledge of CHIRP; I'm still learning to take advantage of all that my OLD electronics will do. I think a lot of people buy way more capability than they actually use on a consistent basis. You can spend a fortune chasing every new hardware revision.

Re: Lowrance Gen3 to Gen1 question - 01/06/16 02:44 PM

With the different freq's chirp can run you can get a little bit cleaner images. Not worth the cost upgrade to me; but I'm money poor.
Posted By: thechapman

Re: Lowrance Gen3 to Gen1 question - 01/21/16 04:39 PM

Yes it is compatible
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum