Texas Fishing Forum

gps route question

Posted By: Spring Lizard Waterdog

gps route question - 01/01/16 05:00 PM

I installed a helix 5 sonar/gps combo yesterday. it works beautiful. Being new to this I need to know how to establish a route to a waypoint. I found fish yesterday and caught them. I moved around the lake and then decided to go back to the waypoint where I caught my fish. The waypoint showed but no route. What do I need to do. This unit comes with a built in auto map but will not show contour obviously. I just need a route so I can go back to the exact waypoint.
Your knowledge will be appreciated.
Thanks
Posted By: Duck Hawkins

Re: gps route question - 01/01/16 05:40 PM

Youtube is the way to go. Look up Doug Varenburg.
Posted By: teamchampion

Re: gps route question - 01/01/16 06:53 PM

Not sure about yours but with my unit it shows trails. As long as I haven't deleted them which I do from time to time they are there to follow. If I select a way point and say go to can follow one of the trails back. Of course it is also possible to record remembered routes to certain way points I just have no need to go to the trouble. If you are not seeing the trail taken for the day then the feature is probably turned off. You would need to find proper setting in menu and turn on. Not sure where you are located but the guide Bob Maindella on Lake Belton does a 3.5 hour class in your boat. He sets up defaults and teaches you the different functions from gps to tuning graphs. Well worth the time and money. Last time I spoke with him was still charging $95.00. Part of the process to find fish and catch them.
Posted By: Wayne P.

Re: gps route question - 01/01/16 07:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Spring Lizard Waterdog
I installed a helix 5 sonar/gps combo yesterday. it works beautiful. Being new to this I need to know how to establish a route to a waypoint. I found fish yesterday and caught them. I moved around the lake and then decided to go back to the waypoint where I caught my fish. The waypoint showed but no route. What do I need to do. This unit comes with a built in auto map but will not show contour obviously. I just need a route so I can go back to the exact waypoint.
Thanks

A route is a series of waypoints that you plan to navigate in the order you choose.

To navigate to a waypoint, you just use the GoTo feature and select the waypoint. When you do that, the unit puts a straight line on the Chart view between where you are and the waypoint.

The unit also draws a Track as you move about, you can retrace that back to the waypoint if you want.
Posted By: SteezMacQueen

Re: gps route question - 01/01/16 08:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Wayne P.
Originally Posted By: Spring Lizard Waterdog
Thanks

A route is a series of waypoints that you plan to navigate in the order you choose.

To navigate to a waypoint, you just use the GoTo feature and select the waypoint. When you do that, the unit puts a straight line on the Chart view between where you are and the waypoint.

The unit also draws a Track as you move about, you can retrace that back to the waypoint if you want.

This^^^

It is how I do it. I have Helix 7's and they are functionally identical. I save waypoints all day long. I even have it set to take a picture of the structure on the graph and save it with the waypoint. It helps when you have a lot of waypoints to discern which was which and what I thought was a reason to save it in the first place.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum