Texas Fishing Forum

Bill Lewis Rat-l-trap hooks

Posted By: "Old School"

Bill Lewis Rat-l-trap hooks - 12/30/15 04:31 PM

Does anyone know if the newer Rat-l-traps use the same Mustad Triple Grip hooks that's available at retailers such as Academy? Same strength etc..? I'm getting ready to change out these hooks on a lot of older traps that I bought years ago. I just bought a couple of packs and they were $6.99 for a pack of 6. If they are the same I going to order them from the Bill Lewis website. Even with shipping they are a whole lot cheaper. $6 for a pack of 12 and 25 for $12.
Posted By: brennansgrandpa

Re: Bill Lewis Rat-l-trap hooks - 12/30/15 04:49 PM

They are a likely lighter wire hook than what you bought. The after market hooks command a higher price for a reason and that is why guys fishing tournaments buy the lures and immediately change the hooks out. Losing your PB due to opened up hooks will cause you to loose sleep for a while. You are on the right path.
Posted By: Douglas J

Re: Bill Lewis Rat-l-trap hooks - 12/30/15 04:56 PM

I caught 2 fish last year over 9 pounds and numerous 2-7 pound fish on the triple grips that come stock on them. They are a short shanked triple grip hook and I do not think they are any cheaper made than the ones you buy...
Posted By: Jake Shannon(Skeet4Life)

Re: Bill Lewis Rat-l-trap hooks - 12/30/15 05:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Doug R.
I caught 2 fish last year over 9 pounds and numerous 2-7 pound fish on the triple grips that come stock on them. They are a short shanked triple grip hook and I do not think they are any cheaper made than the ones you buy...

Ya these hooks are very good

Re: Bill Lewis Rat-l-trap hooks - 12/30/15 06:09 PM

Thanks for the responses. I'm going to look into ordering some. I needed a bulk quantity because I have about 50 baits to change out.
Posted By: NickHasty

Re: Bill Lewis Rat-l-trap hooks - 12/30/15 07:16 PM

I use short shank 2x round bend gamas. Size 4
Posted By: lipjerk

Re: Bill Lewis Rat-l-trap hooks - 12/30/15 07:25 PM

Originally Posted By: "Old School"
Thanks for the responses. I'm going to look into ordering some. I needed a bulk quantity because I have about 50 baits to change out.

http://www.barlowstackle.com/Mustad-TG76-NP-BN-Treble-Hooks-Black-Nickel-P1963.aspx
Posted By: 361V

Re: Bill Lewis Rat-l-trap hooks - 12/30/15 08:17 PM

Seems to be SOP for some to automatically change ALL stock hooks on ALL lures. While they don't look "heavy duty" I have never had a problem with the stock Rattletrap hooks. I've been fishing traps for more years than a lot of y'all have been around and I even catch big ones......occasionally!

Re: Bill Lewis Rat-l-trap hooks - 12/30/15 11:32 PM

Originally Posted By: 361V
Seems to be SOP for some to automatically change ALL stock hooks on ALL lures. While they don't look "heavy duty" I have never had a problem with the stock Rattletrap hooks. I've been fishing traps for more years than a lot of y'all have been around and I even catch big ones......occasionally!

I haven't had issues with the newer Rat-l-trap hooks that are the Mustad brand. I've got a lot of the older baits with those crappy silver round hooks.

Thanks everyone!!!

Re: Bill Lewis Rat-l-trap hooks - 12/31/15 02:29 AM

Originally Posted By: lipjerk
Originally Posted By: "Old School"

http://www.barlowstackle.com/Mustad-TG76-NP-BN-Treble-Hooks-Black-Nickel-P1963.aspx

Thanks for this link! I need to consider this store more often, especially since I live 5 minutes from them.
Posted By: BVF_LoP_Guide

Re: Bill Lewis Rat-l-trap hooks - 12/31/15 02:41 AM

No need to change out hooks unless they are dull and won't take to a file anymore. Our stock Mustad triple grip short shank trebles are the best in the business. We sell 25pk or 12pk Mustad hooks on the website if you need some back-ups
Posted By: txmark1959

Re: Bill Lewis Rat-l-trap hooks - 12/31/15 02:08 PM

I can agree with Skeeterrun.....over the past several years I've bought quite a few of the 25 pack hooks off their website and have always found them to be of good quality and fairly easy to keep sharp. I've got enough confidence to keep using them.

Re: Bill Lewis Rat-l-trap hooks - 12/31/15 02:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Skeetererun
No need to change out hooks unless they are dull and won't take to a file anymore. Our stock Mustad triple grip short shank trebles are the best in the business. We sell 25pk or 12pk Mustad hooks on the website if you need some back-ups

I completely agree! All of the hooks on my "favorite lures" have been changed over to the Triple Grip Mustad, and now I've got to do this on my older traps. Some are 15+ years old and they have a completely different sound when compared to the same current model.
© 2024 Texas Fishing Forum